Carrier Verizon will start throttling unlimited LTE plans Oct 1st

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Jul 25, 2014.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why??

I believe ATT has been throttling unlimited customers for a long time now, and didn't t-Mo throttle people as well?

I can't say that I'm surprised as they're trying to get people off that grandfathered plan

2. Truefan31, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Verizon will start throttling unlimited LTE plans Oct 1st

U knew it was coming. Double the speeds but well throttle u.

Verizon xlte. Great up to 4.7 gigs. Then you'll be throttled for maybe 2 billing cycles. Lol

3. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I'm TRYING to look on the bright side of this... Their "network optimization" is still much better than AT&T's throttling. When the cell tower you are on is overloaded, your speeds are slowed down, until you leave that cell tower, or until it is no longer overloaded.

We will see...

4. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, AT&T has throttled since October 2011. T-Mobile does NOT throttle their $80 unlimited plan. Its truly unlimited, for now anyway.

I agree. They do not throttle until the next billing cycle like AT&T. I would actually prefer Verizon's throttling over AT&T's. But Verizon does not include a subsidy with it anymore.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So, why exactly is VZW the worst carrier in the U.S. then?

6. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

Let's see...overages, hidden fees, extremely high prices, slow LTE network, ridiculous policies, such as this. Now they throttle, and do not allow subsidies for retaining unlimited. AT&T seems lesser of the two evils.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been a customer with VZW and I'm happy with them. My bill is cheaper then if I were to go with ATT - at least it was when I switched. I can't say now, since the wold of cellular communication has changed thanks to T-Mo.

So you do not like Verizon, fair enough, many people don't like them. the same can be said for ATT, T-Mo, and Sprint.

Bottom line is, my experience, VZW has been better then ATT from whom I switched from.

8. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I wish these greedy companies bring back unlimited data one day.

9. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

When did you join Verizon?

I'm looking to get my own plan and Verizon is looking to be like $15 more per month compared to AT&T.

Tmobile is actually coming up as more expensive since they dropped their employee discounts.

10. MacCruiskeen macrumors 6502

You realize that your sentence contains its own answer.

We have one of the unlimited grandfathered plans, and if this seems like it might be an issue for us, we'd think about switching, maybe to t-mobile. We went with Verizon some years back because they had the best coverage in our area. Lately T-mobile has improved their service around here, since DT couldn't sell them they had to try to actually make money. But unfortunately, when the market is insufficiently competitive, the consumer is screwed no matter what.

11. I7guy macrumors P6

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4 -6 years maybe, I've lost track, its been about 3 iPhones :)

I also get a FAN discount. I get it for both ATT and VZW but the way the numbers worked out, my VZW bill is lower.

13. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I'm currently on Verizon Unlimited and it's a sucky time for us. But let's see how this pans out. Not sure they can throttle the 700 per FCC. But if they can or can't, this is set to go live on Oct 1st. :confused:

14. P A U L, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

P A U L macrumors member

Not happening.

I can see AT&T possibly in a few years but not Verizon.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Doubt that as some will abuse the bandwidth!

16. P A U L macrumors member

I don't see it being a problem since I upgrade every 1-2 years with my line using the 'transfer upgrade' to my other two lines.

In order to see reduced speeds, you have to be a customer that meets all of the criteria below (again, ALL of the criteria):

-Top 5% of data users (you use 4.7GB of data per month or more)
    -Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature
    -Have fulfilled their minimum contract term
    -Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand

This might be an issue for those with one line, which is harder to maintain a contract term. There are workarounds though (upgrading and purchasing via BestBuy.com method)!

-->So just make sure you upgrade every 2 years with the BB method and you won't see any throttling!

17. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

No. AT&T will never bring it back. Their CEO went on record claiming how he regretted offering it with the original iPhone. That and he looses sleep over it.

18. P A U L macrumors member

Never said they would. But if T-Mobile surprises all of us and jumps close to the 2nd spot, I wouldn't be surprised.

19. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

I really can't see that happening without several mergers. AT&T has 116.1 million wireless subscribers. T-Mobile has 49.1, I believe. It would take them about a decade to reach 60 million subscribers without a merger. T-Mobile will grow, but I can't seem them severely threatening AT&T with numbers. They need nationwide low bandwidth spectrum. The Verizon spectrum they got isn't gonna cut it, as it s only in select markets. You can have beautiful T-Mobile reception, then step inside and it goes to EDGE.

20. P A U L macrumors member

Didn't say it would. :rolleyes:
    Just saying IF for that 1% chance T-Mobile moves closer and AT&T is 'worried,' you never know what the outcome will be and if they "might" offer it down the road.

Back to the Verizon throttling topic, this can be avoided with simply upgrading with the first reply I made in this thread. :cool:

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

Without mergers it could take several years of extraordinary growth or even a decade in order for Tmobile to catch AT&T. Now Sprint on the other hand, Tmobile is on pace to pass them later this year.

22. aneftp macrumors 601

Read the details. Verizon will throttle only if you meet all 3 conditions (including month to month and out of contract).

Verizon will show you the door if you don't agree with them. You are on a month to month contract most likely (unless you used the unlimited data transfer upgrade or similar loophole).

Regardless once you are out of contract. Carriers can do whatever they want.

They will just tell you that you are free to leave and don't owe you anything.

23. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I've read the details. However I'm going with the notion I can't take their word. Maybe you can take them up on it. I just have a feeling they are going to do it across the board to all unlimited data users claiming "network congestion". Do I want that to happen? No way! Verizon is the best in my area, but I have to face facts this is a money maker move on their part. Using this excuse to move you off the unlimited data plan.

24. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

One reason I'm happy about Verizon throttling is to end those idiotic posts of "I've used 94,532gb of data this month via tethering!" Like it's something to be proud of :rolleyes: