Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I just noticed if you press and hold the trash icon in email a pop up appears with the option of "delete all trash" ! wouldn't it be great if this were true, one can only dream, maybe in a future update. :D

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Update went nice and smooth in under 2 minutes with no restore.
And all ringtones added with Iphoneringtonemaker are still there.
Sweet :D

Has anyone who has only used "iPhoneringtonemaker" to import ringtones installed the new software? Did you have to restore?

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I love my iPhone, but the one glaring problem for me is lack of flash support. They need to get that in there soon.

And a basic SEARCH function. I don't complain much about the iPhone. I love it love it. I even forgive its shortcomings (lack of Flash support and 3G). But search? I mean day-um. I can't recall everyone's names, but I recall something about them and want the ability to locate them by keyword, y'know?

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
did you sync before

I had to restore, and lost countless notes, all my visual voicemails, settings, etc. No my phone wasn't hacked.

Buyer beware. Apple either needs to fix the broken update process or give us a reliable way to back things up (i.e. integrate notes with the computer).

This is great. I had so many work notes, names, to-do lists.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. They are gone forever. For once I wish I still had my blackerry. At least it was solidly reliable with data/syncing/backing up/etc.

Edit: I was reading more on this, and as many have mentioned, it seems Apple decided to trash people's phones who added ringers, etc with ifuntastic, etc. I wasn't one of them, but here's my concern. SO WHAT if people wanted to put a silly ringtone on their phone. Apple decides to get revenge by WIPING their notes, voicemails, etc. Not cool, and certainly not cool if you use the phone for business. No, you shouldn't hack a business phone, but Apple shouldn't retaliate to this extreme. Imagine if in the future you load an "unsigned" app or something, innocently update to 1.1.4 or something, and BAM, everything's gone. It would have been one thing if Apple stated clearly "if you hacked your iPhone, all software updates will erase notes, voicemail, etc, etc."

...or they could have simply allowed us to make a working backup. I'm not referring to the iTunes copy that suddenly disappears during the update either.

Now, wonder why this happened to my phone? Makes me nervous, that's for sure.

Did you sync before you did the update ... if so it should have backed up all of your data... If you did sync and your data was not backed up it would seem that there is an issue.

The only annoyance for me was having to enter my wifi code again, but all else was fine. :)

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
New feature?

Has anybody noticed a "send" button when they're making a phone call, near the person's name? It might only be there during incoming calls, or when the keypad is there...I just tried to replicate it but I couldn't; I swear I saw it though.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Am I the only one that's getting impatient about having a REAL update instead of these "Bug Fixes", at least give us Copy & Paste!

I've already decided it's not worth feeling this way yet. I've decided it would be more appropriate to start getting impatient when and if there is no major update at the time 10.5 is released.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Why would you bother typing in a search where you can just click on the right of the address book?
From there using the first letter of their name will get you the info you need way faster than trying to search.
A search to locate a name would be useless to me where I can do it with a few touches in seconds.

But search? I mean day-um. I can't recall everyone's names, but I recall something about them and want the ability to locate them by keyword, y'know?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Just checked my notes. Didn't lose any of them with the update (non-hacked phone). I didn't have any voice messages saved, so I can't comment on the update deleting voice messages.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Why would you bother typing in a search where you can just click on the right of the address book?
From there using the first letter of their name will get you the info you need way faster than trying to search.
A search to locate a name would be useless to me where I can do it with a few touches in seconds.

There are many, including myself, who have hundreds of contacts and use keywords to quickly find persons with names we may not recall. For instance I have about 60 persons with a the phrase "seeking career opportunity" ( I just made that up for posting sake) in my book. If I need to search for those persons I type "career" in the search box and it narrows it down to them.

Sometimes I need to search "affiliates" by state, "New York" . or by industry, "financial services" . A search tool with keywords is an amazing tool that exists in the desktop version of address book, but doesn't carry over to the portable iPhone version.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Am I the only one that's getting impatient about having a REAL update instead of these "Bug Fixes", at least give us Copy & Paste!

You are not the only one! Bug fixes really annoy me because it is still called a software update, yet it adds no new software. I wish they had bug fixes and software updates, it would certainly keep people from searching like crazy for new features.

When the first bug fix came I didn't expect any new features because it had still only been one month since release. Now it has been 2 months and I am ready to see something new. Give us one app, one new feature people want, just something other than bug fixes. I find the common theory that Apple is waiting for Leopard ridiculous. That could very well be a whole 4 months since iPhone was released, depending on the date in October. IMO that is too long to wait for an actual update.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
Searching

The contacts are sorted by either first or last name. Let's say you have yours sorted by last name. Now, imagine that you forgot the persons last name and only remember their first. Now you can't find it. What if you want to find someone you can't remember except for the city or street address? You can't search for it. What if you changed their last name because they got married or the name is hyphenated? You need to be able to search for an address or name for those times when clicking on the right side of the alphabetical list just won't get you the info you need.

Apple needs to put a contacts icon on the home screen so that you don't have to first go to phone, and then contacts. I like to select the contact in address book first, and then tap either call, SMS, email or address to map the location. That would be a very simple SW update IMO.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I also got hundreds of names, If Im looking for John I click on the "J" letter on the left and scroll to find the right number.
If looking for bill example and so on.
"Seeking career" click the letter "C" obviously.
To me it would be useless, I had that feature on my previous Motorola phone and never searched/used it once.

There are many, including myself, who have hundreds of contacts and use keywords to quickly find persons with names we may not recall. For instance I have about 60 persons with a the phrase "seeking career opportunity" ( I just made that up for posting sake) in my book. If I need to search for those persons I type "career" in the search box and it narrows it down to them.

Sometimes I need to search "affiliates" by state, "New York" . or by industry, "financial services" . A search tool with keywords is an amazing tool that exists in the desktop version of address book, but doesn't carry over to the portable iPhone version.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I sort mine with first name first.
So if you just remember their first name then you'll scroll thru a few john's and find the right one.
And like you're going to remember someones street address but not their name? :D
lol ok

The contacts are sorted by either first or last name. Let's say you have yours sorted by last name. Now, imagine that you forgot the persons last name and only remember their first. Now you can't find it. What if you want to find someone you can't remember except for the city or street address? You can't search for it. What if you changed their last name because they got married or the name is hyphenated? You need to be able to search for an address or name for those times when clicking on the right side of the alphabetical list just won't get you the info you need.

Apple needs to put a contacts icon on the home screen so that you don't have to first go to phone, and then contacts. I like to select the contact in address book first, and then tap either call, SMS, email or address to map the location. That would be a very simple SW update IMO.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Downloading now

The file size is 3.7MB

This is why I gave up my 3G enabled phone and bought the iPhone. Synching a Windows Mobile phone for updates via workaround apps vs. synching an Apple phone with Apple software is incomparable. I love it!!

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
I had to restore, and lost countless notes, all my visual voicemails, settings, etc. No my phone wasn't hacked.

Buyer beware. Apple either needs to fix the broken update process or give us a reliable way to back things up (i.e. integrate notes with the computer).

This is great. I had so many work notes, names, to-do lists.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. They are gone forever. For once I wish I still had my blackerry. At least it was solidly reliable with data/syncing/backing up/etc.

Edit: I was reading more on this, and as many have mentioned, it seems Apple decided to trash people's phones who added ringers, etc with ifuntastic, etc. I wasn't one of them, but here's my concern. SO WHAT if people wanted to put a silly ringtone on their phone. Apple decides to get revenge by WIPING their notes, voicemails, etc. Not cool, and certainly not cool if you use the phone for business. No, you shouldn't hack a business phone, but Apple shouldn't retaliate to this extreme. Imagine if in the future you load an "unsigned" app or something, innocently update to 1.1.4 or something, and BAM, everything's gone. It would have been one thing if Apple stated clearly "if you hacked your iPhone, all software updates will erase notes, voicemail, etc, etc."

...or they could have simply allowed us to make a working backup. I'm not referring to the iTunes copy that suddenly disappears during the update either.

Now, wonder why this happened to my phone? Makes me nervous, that's for sure.

I do not know how long settings actually takes to re configure but I guess there can be a lot for some and you could forget.

For notes there is a email button at the bottom of the notepad, I would recommend using that like a save button. When it is so important you cannot loose it, send an email to your self and then you will permanently have a copy.

As for visual voice mails, not much help here but you can ask ATT to permanently save voice mails under certain situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.