Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I was reluctant to install the patch now that I had my iPhone "where i wanted it" with apps, mods, new icons, etc. But I thought, what the hell...so I did the following

1. Sync with iTunes to get a good backup
2. Restore the phone via iTunes which brought it up to 1.0.2
3. Re-Activated and re-synced my settings.
4. A quick jailbreak with ifuntastic, reload SSH/SFTP
5. Throw back on my ringtones, carrier logos
6. Install the Installer.app, sit on couch and re-load my apps.

Total time, 20 Minutes, didn't swear once, wife didn't even notice.

If you take the time and do it right, it's not an issue, even with a highly modded (albeit activated traditionally via ATT) iPhone.

Is it a pain? Sure. But I like my apps, the couple ringtones I added, and being on the cutting edge. I guess it's the price we pay.

So go for it, do it slow, and right, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Just curious honestly which apps you use that make it worth going through even 5 mins of extra trouble? I couldn't care less about custom ringtones but am curious as to which 3rd party apps you regularly use on the iPhone. If I ever did it I feel like I'd get tired of the apps pretty quickly but then have the added headache of a complicated update path.

Don't see any apps that are compelling enough for me right now.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
Hacked iPhone went OK after.....

I have a hacked iPhone. Needed to do the full restore, which sucked, and then it wouldnt restore to my last sync, so I had to manually add my email accounts again. But jailbreaking the long way, adding my ringtones, new icons/themes/apps all went flawless. iPhone back to the same after about 40 minutes, so I am happy again....

linshiwen

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007
Is there anyway to make a backup of your phone's settings and programs etc. before updating? to make sure my iFuntastic added ringtones will still be there?

PhatBoyG

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Another flawless update on a completely stock iPhone.

I hope people reporting issues with updating hacked phones point out that they have modified their phones. I can see some news bureau picking up that the "iPhone updater has issues" and leaving off the hacked phone part.

lampcov

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Just curious honestly which apps you use that make it worth going through even 5 mins of extra trouble? I couldn't care less about custom ringtones but am curious as to which 3rd party apps you regularly use on the iPhone. If I ever did it I feel like I'd get tired of the apps pretty quickly but then have the added headache of a complicated update path.

Don't see any apps that are compelling enough for me right now.

Mobilehavoc,

I agree the ringtones are pretty pointless, but my kid gets a kick out of them, so i'll take the moment of peace in the house.

Honestly, I use the voice recorder a fair bit, and Lights Off and Frotz are nice time killers waiting for a meeting to start or sitting at the gate waiting for a flight.

There's nothing THAT great (read necessary) yet, i agree, but the hard work of developers with things like NES and other utilities show the potential for what's to come. And being comfortable with the process now hopefully will make it easier to adopt those new apps when they show.

For some people it's a phone, for others it's an obsession, for me I guess the tinkering and messing around is a small hobby/diversion at the end of a long day.

cjandnw

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
South Jersey
Time released?

Someone alluded to it earlier in this thread, ( sherthang ) does anyone feel there will be a time released / activated feature(s) based on this update.

I thought some people have been able to look at the code in the update file and determine possiblilities of what exactly was "fixed" and what may come.
Any thoughts?

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
There's nothing THAT great (read necessary) yet, i agree, but the hard work of developers with things like NES and other utilities show the potential for what's to come.

I can see how NES on an iPhone is kind of fun, but if playing 20 year old video games shows the potential of the iPhone I'm not sure that it's such an attractive future.

SirReel

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
I'm getting this too. And no it's not because the phone was modded. This error happens when it is actually trying to do the full restore. It downloads the file and then this immediately pops up... Any ideas? I've tried rebooting computer, reinstalling iTunes, just about everything I can think of. Still nada. So, I figure I'll contact apple, but can't seem to find an email address on their site, it's all phone numbers, and without my phone, makes it tough to get in touch. Well, just panicking a little bit here trying to figure out wtf to do.

OK, I think I figured out the unknown error (-48) business...

I first started to try the update when I got home from work, and the download in iTunes was WAY slow. Even dropped a couple of times. Anyway, I think this somehow corrupted the download file. They are stored in ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates (~ = /Users/YourUserName). So, I went to that folder and took a look around and noticed the timestamp on the 1.0.2 file was from when I first started this process, so, I deleted all the .ipsw files (still had the ones from the 1.0.1 update). Restore worked like a charm this time.... phewww!!!!!!

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I had to restore, and lost countless notes, all my visual voicemails, settings, etc. No my phone wasn't hacked.

Buyer beware. Apple either needs to fix the broken update process or give us a reliable way to back things up (i.e. integrate notes with the computer).

This is great. I had so many work notes, names, to-do lists.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. They are gone forever. For once I wish I still had my blackerry. At least it was solidly reliable with data/syncing/backing up/etc.

Edit: I was reading more on this, and as many have mentioned, it seems Apple decided to trash people's phones who added ringers, etc with ifuntastic, etc. I wasn't one of them, but here's my concern. SO WHAT if people wanted to put a silly ringtone on their phone. Apple decides to get revenge by WIPING their notes, voicemails, etc. Not cool, and certainly not cool if you use the phone for business. No, you shouldn't hack a business phone, but Apple shouldn't retaliate to this extreme. Imagine if in the future you load an "unsigned" app or something, innocently update to 1.1.4 or something, and BAM, everything's gone. It would have been one thing if Apple stated clearly "if you hacked your iPhone, all software updates will erase notes, voicemail, etc, etc."

...or they could have simply allowed us to make a working backup. I'm not referring to the iTunes copy that suddenly disappears during the update either.

Now, wonder why this happened to my phone? Makes me nervous, that's for sure.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm certain it wasn't there (or as apparent). I use "contact list" screen (I have tons of business contacts) more than anything on this phone.

It was already there, dude. Really. I have one phone with 1.0.1 and one with 1.0.2 and they both do it.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Regarding iPhone games: I definitely think we're going to see iPod games on the iphone sometime soon. There are strings about games in iTunes. I don't think it'll be too much longer.

chotty

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Just think, we have gotten use to the low ringer and call volume and we are getting use to not having custom ring tones, and we can over look this small flaw and that one, and when these things are fixed (hopefully in one fail swoop of an update) it will be like getting a new phone all over again!!! Awwhhh the day when it all comes together, so glorious and so peaceful, everyone will bow to the Iphone and every tongue confess that it is The King, The Ruler, of all Phones.

Won't it be glorious!!

Ok, so I am just really board at work!

Personally, I hope they fix all bugs in one FELL swoop myself...:rolleyes:

kaitak98

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
I couldn't care less about custom ringtones

For me it isn't about "custom" ringtones but adding or modding default ringtones so they are audible. I don't use current songs or anything like that. I just added a morse code tone for calls and a generic sms alert with iFuntastic. Now I don't miss calls or have to look for new text messages constantly.

I guess I'll take a shot at 1.0.2. My iPod files got corrupted somehow about a week ago so I have a fairly fresh restore on the phone. My backup didn't work that time so there isn't a lot of new data there to lose.

At least you said "couldn't care less" instead of "could care less" like a lot of people. That's one of my biggest grammatical pet peeves.:)

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Went to update, had to restore.

Apple really needs to fix the restore-needed updates. I have a scary amount of work information in this phone, and don't feel comfortable having to wipe and restore it just to update the sw. Yes, it's backed up, but it's a roll of the dice I don't feel is necessary.

To my knowledge the only ones that neded to restore were the people that hacked it.

Not sure there is an issue, is there?

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
For me it isn't about "custom" ringtones but adding or modding default ringtones so they are audible. I don't use current songs or anything like that. I just added a morse code tone for calls and a generic sms alert with iFuntastic. Now I don't miss calls or have to look for new text messages constantly.

I guess I'll take a shot at 1.0.2. My iPod files got corrupted somehow about a week ago so I have a fairly fresh restore on the phone. My backup didn't work that time so there isn't a lot of new data there to lose.

At least you said "couldn't care less" instead of "could care less" like a lot of people. That's one of my biggest grammatical pet peeves.:)

That will eventually get me to mod my phone. Would love to not miss txt msgs, email notification and phone calls. I'll wait for a real update with fingers crossed.

pair-a-dice

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
I did the ringtone hack before the first update. Once I updated to 1.0.1 and restored the phone, I left the custom ringers off. Strangely, I received error 0xE000004 while updating to the current version (1.0.2), yet in Settings -> About, it says I am using version 1.0.2 (1C28) and iTunes says the same.

I will try restoring and see if I can update again. I wonder if this happened because I have a movie that won't sync in my iTunes that is still checked...

Sorry to quote myself but this topic is producing a lot of replies... here's an update...

Update:
I am running Vista by the way...

Restored phone to factory settings without a hitch; however, while trying to sync to get my data back, iTunes froze. After waiting several minutes I disconnected the USB cable from the phone and iTunes became responsive again.

Attempted to sync once more and the phone stated it was syncing but iTunes froze again. No progress was made. Disconnected phone. Realized I had less than 700MB left on my computer's HD so I freed up over a gig of room and rebooted the pc and iPhone. Ughh.. iTunes nor computer "recognize" the iPhone, though it is charging. (I had this problem a lot pre 1.0.1.)

Closed iTunes, ended iTuneshelper.exe, deleted iTunes from my program file, restarted and reinstalled iTunes. It syncs. Everything appears to be normal.

I have a hunch it is my configuration with Vista... since I've had a lot of problems with the match up compared to my roommate's phone with his XP computer.

Sorry if this post is long, I hope it will help others.

mydogburton@gma

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
It worked!!! No more unknown error (-48)

OK, I think I figured out the unknown error (-48) business...

I first started to try the update when I got home from work, and the download in iTunes was WAY slow. Even dropped a couple of times. Anyway, I think this somehow corrupted the download file. They are stored in ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates (~ = /Users/YourUserName). So, I went to that folder and took a look around and noticed the timestamp on the 1.0.2 file was from when I first started this process, so, I deleted all the .ipsw files (still had the ones from the 1.0.1 update). Restore worked like a charm this time.... phewww!!!!!!

I was having the unknown error (-48). I did NOT have a hacked iPhone and the update DID make me do a restore. Deleting the download files from the
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Update folder resolved the problem and I was able to restore successfully. Not sure why I had to restore since I have not made any alterations to my iPhone.

It is having to re-sync everything, so I don't know how many of my settings, email account info, text messages, etc have been lost. I did have a backup that was made before I tried to apply this update, but I wonder how complete it really is.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I don't recall it there before actually...have I lost my mind? I think this is new.

Definitely not new. I brought it up on forum.phonedifferent.com about a month ago while fighting with surur about how easy it was to scroll contacts.

EDIT: Looks to me like the "timeout" before it shows up has been reduced.
EDIT2: nope. exactly the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.