Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Apple either needs to fix the broken update process or give us a reliable way to back things up (i.e. integrate notes with the computer).

This is great. I had so many work notes, names, to-do lists.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. They are gone forever.

I do love the phone but do agree that usiing iTunes as the synch application for the phone is a serious gap. I could care less about hacking or games, I just want to be able to easily synch ALL of my data to whatever PC or MAC I choose to connect too. Applie needs to buy a Motorola phone and get Motorola phone tools. With all of its early problems, it has always been a fantastic application for syncing data, all data, from its phone to your PC/MAC.

So, I say Abandon iTunes and create a reliable iPhone Synch Application.

tooshaggy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
SoCal
well gee.
So restoring and re-sncing all the info including ifuntastic on an 8 gig ihone takes about 1.25 hours. Big deal.
I dont mind rehacking the phone after an update.
I figure "be happy we have the ability!!"
:)

EyeCon

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Bad update!!!

After updating, my iPhone is now in a perpetual on/off loop. Even when shutting it off it turns right back on. No hacks on this phone. Restoring now. :(

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Regarding time release:
-Anyway to update the iPhone system clock to 2008 and find out? ;)

Regarding flash:
-I think that since Flash player 9 will support H.264 the iPhone may support flash enabled sites that are made for Flash player 9 only. If this is the case then it's going to be a looong time before iPhone's safari starts seeing flash sites. Probably right around the time the 2nd version of iPhone is released.

Regarding scrolling with 1.02:
Hands down all the way, unquestionably an improvement with 1.02 . I have a huge contact list and scrolls much much smoother now. It used to stutter for some reason before.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
another find, i'm not sure if its been in the previous update, but when you go to your voicemail and hit greeting, there are new buttons at the bottom, record / play, and when you hit record, you get a signal meter that goes up when you talk, kind of like in ichat. cool nonetheless, not sure if thats been around. but that was my first time seeing that.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Regarding time release:
-Anyway to update the iPhone system clock to 2008 and find out? ;)

Not having this idea myself is why I'm sure I'm not a genius.
But surely with the incredible secrecy Steve normally requires it wouldn't be this simple. Are we sure that button appeared during the Stevenote, or was it there before and we just didn't notice?
Perhaps the phones don't just add features when the time changes, perhaps they check an Apple server for permission to update, thereby guaranteeing the features aren't released prematurely.
All speculation at this point, but worth investigating.

un1ty

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
1. Settings > Mail > Choose Account > NEW Advanced Options

2. Wallpaper > New Wallpaper?

Thats all for now

If you notice something let me know.

Jared

http://tammanyweb.com/blog/tech-ology/index.html

I'm pretty sure the advanced options for Mail were there. I seem to remember that's where you add the IMAP prefix.

As for the wallpapers, I too thought they had added new wallpapers, but then I found this image pre-update:

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphoneinte...ry--Settings/iPhone-Settings--Wallpaper-2.htm

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
I hope this makes it more stable. My "iPod" and "Safari" has been craqshing on me the past few days. More annoying then anything, but its been happening.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I appreciate bug fixes as much as the next guy, but two months in, I'm about ready for some actual improvments to the phone. New apps, copy and paste, custom ringtones, IM, general enhancements and fixes to apps already there, some kind of audio compression/boost in software to bring call volume up as loud as playing music... Any/all of these are things that could be done in a software update.

I guess we won't see real enhancement until around Leopard release time. :(

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
Installation went fine, Safari feels much snappier, the UI feels more responsive.

I wish they would fix the problem with when you have a low WiFi signal and strong Edge signal, and it seems to be held up by the weak WiFi signal in page loading and doesn't know when to switch to the strong signal :-(

When are we going to get some substantive updates, Apple? Like iChat AV? ;-)

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007

newtxmgf

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
agreed

I had noticed this too...it annoyed the crap out of me...glad to hear its fixed.:)

***Edit***I am noticing that when I visit certain site it now defaults to the "mobile" version rather than the full webpage...example being http://www.tbo.com***

They fixed a small but annoying bug I had noticed ever since I first got the phone.

Sometimes you couldn't close vertical tabs while in landscape mode because the title of the pages would block out the close button.

Now, if you switch modes with multiple pages open, the tabs automatically change to the correct mode and you can close them properly! Yay!

sh4ners

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Chicago
just noticed that when you click to shut off the screen and you come back by hitting the main button it just shows a blank screen and if you hit it once more it comes up fine.

anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.