Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Been wanting something to do a little work with in my lap, like typing which is hard to do with my surface pro 3 in my lap.

Also probably some YouTube web, email.

I'm kinda leaning towards the pixel book since I'm kinda in deep with Google as it is, but functionality is a bit crunched.

Then again don't the surface laptop come with a very limited yet unlockable version of Windows?

Anyway, would want something that is not top heavy and easy to type on. Which would you pick?

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
If typing is your biggest concern, then I will say the Pixelbook has the best keyboard I've ever used. I've had mine for 2 months, and I still love it to this day.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Surface Laptop does ship with Windows 10 S, but MS has since canceled that project (because, Microsoft). I guess you would just upgrade it to regular Windows 10. It's a bit unclear if it's automatic (again, because, Microsoft), but "S" is now just a mode you can enable on your Windows 10 machines that limits you to their Store apps. I hear Surface Laptop is a nice looking machine, but it has some design choices that would scratch it from my list: the screen won't lay flat much less fold (despite being touch), and I don't know if I'd be a fan of the fabric surround on the keyboard area--especially since the fabric is heavily glued on and cannot be removed/replaced without destroying the device.

Personally, I'm not a fan of MS-made products anyway. I've owned more than a few Surfaces, and they all had problems. Maybe you've had better luck with your SP3 and don't feel the same way. Then again, I wouldn't buy a Google device either, so I may not be of much help!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I’d likely go Pixelbook as well, FWIW. I also lean quite strongly into the Google ecosystem and while Chrome OS has some limitations, I still prefer it to any version of Windows. Aesthetically, I also like the Pixelbook hardware—find it much nicer looking and more versatile.

Regardless of what Microsoft says, I don’t think there is any way that Alcantera is going to age well. ;)

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
How is the device in your lap? Is it top heavy or hard to type on?

I haven't seen one of these at my local best buy (they seem to be a front for their online store anymore...)

The idea for an updated 13" base mbp also crossed my mind but the keyboard in a dusty environment is not good...

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I just can't seem to get myself to order one of these things. Perhaps it's due to the price to functionality ratio. In all likelihood I'd end up trying fuchsia and or Linux on it.

Still not sure if it would be usable as an actual laptop in ones lap.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
If you absolutely need something more capable (you need native apps), don't get the Chromebook. Even if you install Linux on it, I didn't find it 100% reliable/stable. I've installed Arch and Ubuntu and Chromebooks in the past. But, if you're looking for a portable machine that can do simple tasks like YouTube and email and you can type on comfortably, the Gen 2 Chromebook Pixel should suffice. It'll be used and much cheaper than the Pixel Book.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
My daughter (who is at university) has a Surface Laptop and it's a great machine - it does come with Windows 10 S, but it's freely upgradeable to Windows 10 Pro (and it only takes a couple of clicks).

I set it up for her and found it to be very fast and extremely well made - the keyboard is nearly as good as the one on my Surface Book (which is the best keyboard I've ever used)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just can't seem to get myself to order one of these things. Perhaps it's due to the price to functionality ratio. In all likelihood I'd end up trying fuchsia and or Linux on it.

Still not sure if it would be usable as an actual laptop in ones lap.
You've already received excellent advice, but I'll offer mine into the mix.

I agree with the comments regarding avoiding the Surface line. My first-hand experience mirrors @Darmok N Jalad. I too would recommend a chromebook... though I don't think I could justify the expence unless it will be your primary system. I've been doing a lot of experimenting with chromebooks, and bought an Acer R11 2-in-1 to give the platform a shakedown (understanding that it is quite heavy and bulky, but super inexpensive). The results: except for the lack of my favorite Bible software (chromeOS offline or Android), I would be able to use a convertible chromebook for everything that I use my Macbook Air + iPad for. (it couldn't replace my iMac... there are still a few desktop-y things that I do)

I'm currently using a Lenovo Yoga Book (Android) and THAT would be perfect if only it offered a desktop browser experience as chromebooks do. But as soon as I see a super sale on a Samsung Chromebook Plus, I'll be getting that to replace my 12.9 iPad Pro and 11.6" Macbook Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.