Vertex 3, tomo is the big day?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr1, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mr1 macrumors member

Apparently the new vertex 3's will be available tomorrow.

Does anybody here plan on getting one for their new 2011 MBP's? From reading around it looks like a lot of people have been waiting for this but I am curious how many are actually purchasing on day one?

Will the new drives even be available at stores or just online?

2. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Yes, pre-ordered mine from Overclockers in the UK and the release date is still showing as tomorrow. However, a Danish user in this thread has been given a delivery date of April 15th. It may vary by region of course.

3. Bossboss macrumors member

We'll be lucky if they come out tomorrow. I'd suspect possible delays (days to weeks at most) due to the disaster in Japan.

4. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

I wouldn't bother with OCZ solid state disks. Yeah, they have good performance at first, but they have much more serious performance degradation issues than Intel and Samsung solid state disks. The performance may be great in the beginning, but even after a couple of months you will start to notice this issue. The end result is that you get lots of beach balls at unexpected times. The Intel and Samsung solid state disks aren't as fast overall, but they at least have these issues under control.

5. Bossboss macrumors member

Got an article explaining this? I'm interested.

6. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

Pcs ssds use sandforce controller. Your assumptions are false.

7. endless17 macrumors member

Unfounded, though I can understand the argument considering OSX has yet to support TRIM outside select devices. OCZ offers roughly the same product as other Sandforce-based drives, which have improved their GC over the first-generation products.

So long as you don't fill the drives to within 90%+ capacity and have ample idle times, you shouldn't realize that much performance loss with any modern SSD.

8. altecXP macrumors 65816

How about the fact that OCZ was found to use off-spec NAND on their SSD drives that Micron called "It is a very brave action to take, using these chips in a data storage device."

And they were Microns own chips.

9. sydenham macrumors regular

I would also if there are any stores that will actually sell these or do you have to order online?

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

It might be wise to wait and see if these work. I'll bet they don't.

There are major issues with the 6bps SATA controller. When you install these new 6bps drives they work fine at SATA 2, but if you do a SMC reset, and turn on the 6bps SATA, that's when the problems start (if they work at all).

There is a thread about the Intel 510 that's rather busy. But it's not just the Intel, and it seems to be something wrong with either the cable in the Macbooks or something else entirely (or a combination). Unless OCZ is aware of this you could be looking at a big headache.

But go ahead and buy these. The more people who get hung up, the quicker will will get to the bottom of this issue. I'm tempted myself in spite of the risk, as I bought into the hype like everyone else.

note: Not to mention the other issue.....OCZ themselves ;)

11. spooky69 macrumors member

Quoting a competitor.... have you checked what OCZ have to say about this on their forums?

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Could you provide a link? I'm genuinely interested.

13. spooky69 macrumors member

On the OCZ theme, someone on their forum has reported that hibernation is working with the new firmware that has just been released and OCZ were saying that initial testing showed that this should fix the issues. It will be interesting to see if this is the case.

14. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Exactly- marketing spin by owc

How convenient this revelation came on the eve of the v3 release!

I have an owc drive but don't rate this blatant attempt to derail the v3s release

I will stick with my owc since it was a calculated decision-
    if I got a ocz v2 now I could end up gettin the 64gb die not 32gb, despite both drives using 25nm flash!

I will painfully wait till lion is released then cop a v3 then

Ps with sandforce drives, from what I understand they have active g+c, wear levelling and in particular with mac HFS performance degradation is much less of a problem when compared to windows

Interestingly, ssds suffer from less performance degradation in general
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/apple/2010/07/01/mac-ssd-performance-trim-in-osx/1
    I know this article tests apple ssd which has custom firmware, but the comments are very interesting!

15. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

I was going to order the apple ssd, but I think I'll wait for the reviews on this thing. :)

16. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

SandForce controllers actually suffer much less degradation :)

If there's any lesson I've learned from Apple and etc. don't buy products on release day unless you absolutely need them or you're an enthusiast who lives in Canada/America/Europe or where ever it's easy to RMA drives. Living in Korea, I refuse to pay a shipping fee to RMA a drive to North America or deal with speaking Korean about technology since my Korean isn't fluent.

But nonetheless, if the Macbook themselves have a problem... I think it's time to take up Apple on this issue? Because it's pretty ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case seeing our disappointment with the optical bay being at 3Gbps.

As for OWC's marketing ploy, it's a nasty jab at a competitor but they did offer somewhat of a rebuttal and an update to their article here:
    http://blog.macsales.com/9438-not-all-ssd’s-are-created-equal-the-story-continues

17. mr1 thread starter macrumors member

So if I wanted to upgrade my current machine with an apple ssd would they just charge the $200 (i have 13'' i7) upgrade fee and take my current drive? Or is that not even possible? Purchased through macconection

18. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Moved my C300 from mid-2009 (SATA II) to 2011 MBP (SATA III @ 6Gbps) with no issues at all.

19. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

20. superpalmtree macrumors regular

These have been on Amazon for weeks.....ordered the 240GB model weeks ago....saying April 4th estimate ship date. I guess we'll see....hoping they arrive today in stock and I get it tomorrow.

21. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Oh? I've been searching but could never see any in the results besides for the Vertex 2's.

22. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

In the UK Overclockers still say today (23rd), Dabs.com says 1-2 days and Amazon/Scan/Others say April 1st.

23. tdream macrumors 65816

24. Koning macrumors member

Well I bought my Vertex 2 when I still had a Mac Mini and I absolutely love it, though I would now be happy to have saved the money to buy the Vertex 3 for the new MBP 2011 (which I currently own). The speed is amazing, I absolutely find the upgrade to a SSD the biggest upgrade in years.

Though I would love to show off with the Vertex 3, there's not an inch of me thinking about buying it, since the actual performance increase (apart from booting) will be so little that it's not worth paying for.

Altogether I would recommend people looking for a SSD to wait for the Vertex 3 because it should be amazing, but if you already own a SSD to skip the expensive upgrade.