Very confused by all the hate in here for iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fireguy286, Nov 12, 2015.

1. fireguy286, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

fireguy286 macrumors 6502

fireguy286

I have had mine for about 24 hours so far and have been blown away by the experience overall. ...And I say that coming from the recent Air 2. To me this really represents what the iPad should be. It is super fast, super fluid, super bright and immersive with whatever you're doing with it.

I can't even rationalize the speaker complaints, this quad system is awesome. They are loud and vibrant on any rotation. Perhaps there's been too much listening to beats style headphones or something.

Yes...it's big...how could you NOT know that. It's also incredibly thin. It may be the same iOS but if you thought you would just use it like the Air or Mini you're doing it wrong, frankly. Just because it's big doesn't make it a bad product. The fact that it works with a full size keyboard feels seamless.

No iOS device multitasks like this - none. Nothing refreshes, it's all instant. Switching tasks and split screening my work feels like it would on anything else.

The apps will be updated, they always are, criticizing that right now is just silly.

Complaints I can understand - iOS. I agree the icon layout right now looks wasteful, there are definitely better ways to handle that and I agree with Gruber there are some obvious keyboard enhancements that should happen. There also seem to be a few bugs, and I have seen the keyboard drop out randomly twice. All of that is likely to be fixed, and trivial.

Overall it's a near perfect device, and to me, the first that feels worthy of the "post pc" label. I don't have the Pencil yet so can't comment there. If Apple enhances iOS a bit more they will really be on to something...

2. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

My hate is mainly for not having a Pencil :(

3. ElBerryKM13 macrumors regular

Price might be a factor. The device is too expensive for what it offers.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It's an awesome tablet but I think the fact is it's faster, more ram with the pencil support but with the price double that of the air 2 I think some don't think it's worth it

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

cost is a relative factor. most subjective. for me, the fact it's Apple manufactured and offers what it does makes it nicely worth the cost :) but then, if i was a kid or a low paid worker i might think different. it is expensive whatever.

6. Phil A., Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've noticed it's happening more and more on these forums and while there are some genuine, justifiable and well presented criticisms, some people feel the need to trash things to justify their own purchasing decisions - it's best to just plough your own furrow and ignore the haters.

Personally, I don't have any plans to buy an iPad pro - partly because a rMBP fits my needs better for that size of device and partly because I've spent a fortune already this year on Apple gear and can't justify the outlay :)

I would love to be able to use an iPad as my main device but it will be a while before that happens (As a developer I need a powerful machine and OS X). It may be able to replace my portable device (currently the rMB) in a few years time and I'm hoping that by the time my rMBP is up for replacement, I'll be able to replace it with an iPad

Until then, though, I'll watch from the sidelines as other people enjoy their new devices :)

7. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

You're still in the honeymoon period. Give it a couple of weeks and see how you feel then.

8. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I definitely like it and think it's worth the money, but I'm just still determining whether or not the form factor is simply too big for what I use an iPad for. As for the speakers, they're fantastic in my opinion. They exceeded my expectations!

9. highdefjunkie macrumors 6502

highdefjunkie

Very well said and I couldn't agree more.

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Well, loaded out iPad Air 2 is $829, loaded Pro is $1079. Not an enormous difference.

11. az431 macrumors regular

Here are a few of "genuine, justifiable and well presented criticisms"

- The screen is a fingerprint magnet, and they are a lot more obvious with the screen on, especially with light backgrounds

- Must be plugged into the 12w charger to charge while in use (battery drains even when plugged in to MacBook)

- Lack of accessories at launch, especially Apple Pencil, one of the key selling points for the Pro

- Uses first-generation touch sensor (contrary to what other users have alleged)

- Customer service has been pretty bad. Most stores didn't have display models at launch, employees seemed clueless on the device and availability of accessories

- Lack of app support specific to the device capabilities, for example, most apps still don't support multi-tasking or are not optimized to take advantage of the full resolution

- iOS is a little behind for a truly enterprise solution, for example, lack of multi-user login, lack of a file system that allows easy syncing of desktop files

12. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Some people think every single product should be a complete reinvention, however that is very rarely the case. Good products evolve, take cars like the VW Golf, they have a design history.

In technology we are used to products being introduced and then discontinued/completely replaced as the pace of change is so high and success and failure so apparent. The iPad Pro is an evolution of all the previous models and also where the market is heading, some people don't like that, and as such bash the product before trying it. I must also say that Apple is great at leveraging against failure, they introduce a huge iPad but make it so that such a killer accessory in the Pencil can only work with it and don't introduce a new iPad Air. I'm confident that in within the next 12 months we'll see a new iPad Air with pencil support and by then a percentage who were on the fence/scathing will want to jump in.

13. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I think cost is very subjective. I priced out what a 128gb Air 2 + LTE with a smart cover, same setup I got in the Pro and it was only about ~$292 (w/ tax) MORE expensive for the Pro than the Air 2.

Now I know $300 is not chump change for most but in my opinion I don't think it's that much more expensive.

You are getting a lot of iPad for that extra $300, bigger screen, better internals, those speakers! Again this is very subjective, but for a device I use 99% of the time while at home I think the $300 is well justified if you like the Pro.

I'm still on the fence, I love it but it could be a tad too big for me, I'm going to give it a few more days.

14. fireguy286 thread starter macrumors 6502

fireguy286

This is true for every iPad.
    I don't know why I'd plug it in to a Macbook and use it at the same time? It seems to last all day easily so far, I imagine most will only charge it at night when not in use. Rapid charging is bad for batteries anyway.
    Generic complaint of any new product at launch. Pretty silly. The pencil situation is a bit puzzling, but a week or so is not the end of the world really.
    Probably related to development of Pencil. Is THAT really a HUGE issue?
    This relates to the product exactly how? My store here had 5 of them up and running with pencils as well as posters when I picked mine up yesterday.
    Another generic comment about a new product launch that always works itself out. Not a product specific hardware complaint really.
    This is the only genuine one on the list.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

How about this angle.

The existence of the iPad Pro is holding back the iPad Air

- A9X processor
    - Pencil Support
    - Smart Connector
    - Increased Memory

Outside of screen size, these are the biggest selling points of the iPad Pro. Yet they don't exist on the iPad Air because.... Apple is artificially withholding features in order to create a more profitable product tier.

As much as I like the iPad Pro, many many iPad fans would prefer to simply have an iPad Air 3 with all these new 2016 whiz bang "Pro"specs. But we won't get that until next year, which will in-coincidentally be when the iPad Pro gets another spec bump that the Air will not.

So (for many) it's not about iPad Pro hate, it's more about the lack of love for the more popular iPad Air.

16. CjonesHouston macrumors 6502a

CjonesHouston

I like it. I ordered one. Just wish it had 3D touch.. But there is a tweak for that.

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

It's a great device, so far loving mine, though its very big, it's form factor is not made for hand held use. When I pick up my Air afterwards , I realise how perfect it is for casual use.

Going to wait for the cover and pencil before I decide if I will keep it. It is very expansive.... And size is kinda ackward at this stage, but so was the iPhone 6 Plus

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How about you wait and see what happens with the Air next year? It's not for certain that the Air will always be a year behind the Pro. The 13" MBP doesn't have year old tech compared to the 15".

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I dont think its hate. I think its just some of find it to NOT be a good overall value for what you spend versus what you get. For me, its simply too close to the cost of a fairly serious laptop. I would require the cellular model which of course is the most expensive one. Add a keyboard & pencil..... Hello MacBook Pro or whatever else I wanted at that point.

If the lowest vstorage model had cell support(like ALL other iPads before this) Id be more inclined. No biggy.

20. LK265 macrumors member

I couldn't agree more, I've been using my Pro since I clawed the box open this afternoon and i am seriously impressed.
    I am fully aware that the first few days of owning a new product are slightly glorified and i will try to update my thoughts in a weeks time but in my personal initial review is as follows;

- Yes, it is a big iPad. (Although smaller than i was expecting strangely?!)
    - The display is beyond excellent. (Seriously, if you havent seen one, find one!)
    - The 4 speakers are excellent.
    - Battery life is holding up well, I've been testing every function i can since i first turned it on at 1:30pm and the Battery has so far lost just 40%.
    - I paired mine with Logitech's Create Keyboard which is also excellent.

I also own a Macbook Pro with Retina Display 15" and had planned for this iPad to replace it, so far it looks like i can go ahead with my plans, as i primarily used the Macbook to read news, write the occasional email and watch videos.

For me this is proving to be a great 'post pc' setup.

People will always find something to complain about and sure, Apple still have some issues to work out with the software (hello iOS 9 bugs), but overall its a great iPad, just like its smaller brothers.

If you dont like the product, dont buy it.

For those that can see it fitting into their workflow, go get it, you wont be dissapointed.

21. joefrank64k macrumors regular

Loving mine so far. I've had every iPad since the first and I thought they wouldn't be able to top the Air2...well, for me, they just did with the Pro.

- As others have said, the screen is amazing. Everyone I've shown it to has been blown away. I wasn't expecting to be so impressed. Wow.
    - The speakers are incredible...four-speaker stereo sound on the iPP rocks. Again, everyone I've demo'd the sound for has been blown away (people LOVE The Force Awakens trailer lol!)
    - Yes it's bigger and heavier...but it's just as thin so it doesn't feel "overweight" at all.
    - It's noticeably faster than the Air2, everything is buttery smooth, apps launch quickly, on-screen typing is great

22. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

It's not hate, it's the disappointment caused by failed expectations. All that awesome hardware deserves a better OS. Look at the benchmarks, they all say the iPad Pro is faster than a MB. Faster doing what? Playing Angry Birds? Running watered down versions of office apps? What's really "pro" about this iPad?

23. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I find that there are too many haters on this site. Often they don't own, can't afford, or have no real interest in the product that they are dissing and are only trying to get a rise out of folks. The micro-scrutiny is annoying when apps and iOS do not match up with the hardware on day one.

I was just at my local Apple store and spent a half-hour with the iPad Pro. I have been using an iMac with an iPad as my desktop and mobile solutions for a long while. We have a rMB but my wife is using it with her iPad Mini. The screen on the iPad Pro is truly amazing, so is the keyboard. I went back and forth between the rMB's and rMBP's and the iPad Pro, and everytime I thought that the iPad Pro's screen was amazing. The guy next to me had Office Excel open and he as using the split screen option(s), etc. The iPad Pro did seem too big when I first saw it but after holding and using it for a bit, it seemed perfectly fine. For the most part, I like the iOS apps and while I can't use the exact same tools that are on my iMac I am fully functional with an iPad. The only thing that I did not like is the 128GB storage, I would much prefer 250 - 512 GB. Still, with Dropbox and, to a lesser extend, iCloud, the iPads work. I haven't ordered an iPad Pro yet, but I am likely to in the near future.

24. LK265 macrumors member

Lets see what's instore with iOS 10.. iOS X maybe?

25. AppleRobert macrumors 603

My "whatever else" is a rMBP that I just got at BB. $250 off less another $100 off open box. Guess the IPP is a goner now. I only had it since yesterday so really cannot miss it at this point.