Very Cool AT&T Cell Towers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsjared, Jul 6, 2010.

1. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

Hey guys, check out this site. You can see where AT&T has their towers around you. You can search and actually see all the towers around any given location in the US. Also you can see an actual picture of the tower.

Pretty cool for checking coverage.

http://www.atttowers.com

you do have to register but it's free.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

One tower for what seems like my entire ZIP code. Guess that explains a lot.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Thanks for the link. It'd be awesome if they'd email me my username and password so I could try it out.

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

That's pretty cool, never knew that existed, thanks for the heads up.

5. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

Wow, only 3 towers in my corner of the state. That actually does explain a lot and gives me zero hope of 3G this year.

6. Garrett67 macrumors regular

Same here, and actually its not even that good. The closest tower to me is about 10 miles and if it weren't for that tower, the next closest is about 50 miles

7. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

Looks like Apple's Covered.

Attached Files:

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

looking threw the list it clearly missing any towers AT&T rents from some one else because it reports ZERO with in 10 miles of were I live. That tells me it has some issues considering I know of several locations near by were stuff is located. Really handy when google over lays the location.
    Each tower only has a range of about 1 mile at most.

9. xmtgx macrumors regular

"Search criteria did not match any records. Please refine your search."
    It's as refined as I can get it lol.

10. nin7474 macrumors 6502

No kidding!! ATT can't even get their Search right!!!

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well that site is actually useful. Instead of me mapping where they were, I now can see them.

12. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Grab your data while you can - I'd be surprised if AT&T didn't shut down access to this site quickly.

This site is meant to advertise antenna space available on AT&T's towers to other companies (not necessarily cell) needing coverage in an area. It's not meant for consumers to be going through it, so I expect when they see the traffic on the web site spike up, they'll do something about it.

13. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Good to know.:D

14. jacollins macrumors 6502a

I usually try bugmenot.com first for these types of things where I don't want to set up an account.

15. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Use the map instead of the search, it works better.

Also, if you don't want to register, use this login. This came from bugmenot.com, which is a great site for finding logins for websites that require registration.

Username jj42
    Password jj427202

16. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

It is definitely missing quite a few. I looked for several that I know about and there not there. I'm kind of surprised they would put this out especially being incomplete. If I were shopping around for a phone provider and looked at this I would not go with AT&T, but I actually have very good service.

17. Gadget Chief macrumors member

No no no no. Cell towers, even GSM, can go as far as 20 miles.

18. thep33t macrumors regular

8 towers within 2 miles of my house. and still horrible reception/3g speeds...

19. LoganT macrumors 68020

Same.

20. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

This is not what you think it is.

Note: "Use this page to locate AT&T Tower Sites available for co-location."

In other words, if you are looking to rent space on an AT&T tower, use this search tool.

A lot of AT&T sites won't show up here, either because the tower is full or because AT&T doesn't own the tower. (That is, they are colocated on someone else's tower.)

For example, here in Connecticut, they don't show any towers -- I assure you, there are AT&T cell sites here. In Connecticut, all transmitters must be coordinated via the Connecticut Siting Council, which probably means that AT&Ts usual colocation offerings are moot here.

21. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

The thing people need to realize about this tool is that it's only going to show actual AT&T owned towers and nothing else. I wish that could go without saying but, it can't so... while you may see or know of many cell towers in your area (as I know of 6 in the downtown Vegas area including an AT&T one) it doesn't mean they're all owned by the same providers.

And what makes things even more complicated: even though a tower can be owned by one provider, they could be leasing space on that tower to other service providers who don't wish to incur the cost of building/maintaining a full tower of their own... ;)

Seems JonB3Z and I were on the same wavelength (pun intended) but he was just a bit faster in saying almost the same thing. :D

22. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

It does also seem to be missing some that are indeed owned by AT&T.

23. cmschmidt macrumors 6502

according to the search there are no towers in Dallas...ATT is headquartered in Dallas...It actually goes as far as saying there are none in Texas...at all.

24. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Much much further than that even, given the right conditions.

"Boomer cells" can reach over 100 miles - again, under the right conditions.

Note, that's for voice - data will always be negatively impacted as distance increases.

25. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I live in that map!

haha, strange