Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
The website claims that there are 9,924 towers listed and if you download the complete list it confirms this. Supposedly AT&T owns around 50,000. So it looks like less than 20% are listed, this explains why so few are showing up.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
No no no no. Cell towers, even GSM, can go as far as 20 miles.

I will accept that as true. But it does not change the fact that I know for a fact that tons of towers are missing off that map. I personally know of 3 towers with in 1 mile of my house that my phone will connect to. Really the closes tower is about 800 meters away.

That chart does not show a single one of those. I am on AT&T.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
No Wonder...

LoL...wow, for the longest time, I thought people were just whiny bitches and loved to hear themselves cry and complain. But seeing some other locations' maps, in contrast to mine, definitely shut me up. Apparently AT&T has some big love for my town. No wonder I never experience crappy service.

42195335.png

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
LoL...wow, for the longest time, I thought people were just whiny bitches and loved to hear themselves cry and complain. But seeing some other locations' maps, in contrast to mine, definitely shut me up. Apparently AT&T has some big love for my town. No wonder I never experience crappy service.

42195335.png

Lol... wow, really well covered, then again, Orlando is a tourist town, it has to be that way or people would get mad.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Great, there 2 towers in the whole Cincinnati area. No wonder I never get good service.

sp219

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Only one in my town, but it's literally less than a mile away from my house -- had no idea it was an AT&T tower, I drive by it every day. haha]

Guess that explains the 5 mb download and 1.5 mbit upload on 3G.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
There are 13 towers in my area but I still get no signal at my apartments, WTFrak? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009

42195335.png

Oh to have that level of service! Maybe I need to relocate.

itsjared

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas
according to the search there are no towers in Dallas...ATT is headquartered in Dallas...It actually goes as far as saying there are none in Texas...at all.

See Map Below.

Attachments

• att apple coverage.JPG
    att apple coverage.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 50

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
according to the search there are no towers in Dallas...ATT is headquartered in Dallas...It actually goes as far as saying there are none in Texas...at all.

Hmm. That's not what I got on my search. I have 4 towers showing within 5 mile search of my zip code. One of which is less than 1/2 mile from my house. Which is cool, except that in my house I get 2-3 dropped calls (with the ever friendly 'Call Failed message) per day on my 3Gs..... :mad:

xmtgx

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Interesting by looking at the map, I see the closest tower is 9 miles away from me. I guess that explains why i get great reception here but drive 1 mile and get nothing. Seems like they stopped covering NJ from where I live and down till it hits NY

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Again, its important to note that this map only shows AT&T owned towers that have space available for others to use. AT&T also leases space from other providers on their towers, and these are not reflected on the maps (since this isn't the primary reason for this website).

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Hmm. That's not what I got on my search. I have 4 towers showing within 5 mile search of my zip code. One of which is less than 1/2 mile from my house. Which is cool, except that in my house I get 2-3 dropped calls (with the ever friendly 'Call Failed message) per day on my 3Gs..... :mad:

Using the zip code doesn't seem to work right. I was only able to find cell towers by latitude and longitude.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Again, its important to note that this map only shows AT&T owned towers that have space available for others to use. AT&T also leases space from other providers on their towers, and these are not reflected on the maps (since this isn't the primary reason for this website).

Exactly. And I'll note that if that's the real number of cell sites for AT&T in Orlando, I'd be shocked, they need 2-3X more than that for any sort of decent coverage and capacity.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Use the map instead of the search, it works better.

Also, if you don't want to register, use this login. This came from bugmenot.com, which is a great site for finding logins for websites that require registration.

Username jj42
Password jj427202

+1, i did this too :p

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007

And keep in mind it only list 20% of AT&T owned towers. This is by no means even close to determining what type of signal you should be getting.

MorganK

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Texas

I just did a search for where I am (Corpus Christi, TX) and it came up with several for just here.

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
See Map Below.

weird. I searched using my full address, my zip only, and Texas only and it could find a single tower. Something must have been screwy when i was doing my search.

I live in downtown dallas, and have all those towers around me and most of the time barely get half a megabit....wtf.

dunk50

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Just checked mine and it does not list any within 20 miles.

> Home > Search > Map Search

Map Search

Use this page to locate AT&T Tower Sites available for co-location by map location. Follow the search instructions on the left, or zoom in to the desired location on the map to the right. Zooming beyond a certain level will trigger a search in that area.

Search criteria did not match any records. Please refine your search.

The AT&T coverage map shows me in the BEST covered area by MILES. I say BS. I've had AT&T for years and I always only get 1 to 2 bars. Phone function verified that. Dropped calls etc but alas I wanted an iphone and left Verizon. Miss Verizons coverage (in my area anyway) but love my iphone (when it works). I'm into blaming AT&T for half my problems with their inflated coverage maps and Apple partially for their antenna. No solution in sight so I will live with it.

itsjared

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas
Even though this does not include leased towers or towers available for co-location it's still a good idea of general coverage in an area. At least where applicable.:D

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
Wow. There's a tower about .8 miles from me, right down the street, and I still get a meh signal and crappy a$$ speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.