Very disappointed in new MBP screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macproguy77, Jun 21, 2009.

1. macproguy77 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So the new MBP 13 came out, and a really attractive price to boot.
    so I got the big idea to sell my asus eee 1000 PC and trade up to a macbook pro 13incher for my "away from my desktop mac pro" computing needs.
    Why not treat myself right? Sell the eee add in a few hundred (and then a few hundred more) and I'm in.

So, FYI, I like a BRIGHT laptop...never use anything other than max brightness setting...
    I go to best buy today and take a look at them. All the newest models were lined up for me to compare, and I have to be honest, the screens were not that great...
    I'm not talking about glossy/glassy whatever, I mean overall brightness was very poor.

White MacBook: Screen is dim, colors washed out and has bad viewing angles. Too bad cuz the price and specs are NICE!.. ok I can upgrade a little more...

13' NEW MBP: Screen is kind of dim, but great color depth and better viewing angles. CRAP! Why is it so dim?

Macbook Air: This screen looked to be the best of the bunch, A little brighter, and good color.. But I'm not shelling out another 500.00

So What gives? I mean I checked the brightness settings in OSX, I tilted, twirled and contored in all sorts of ways, but no matter what I did, I did not like the screens on these guys. I felt the same way when I looked at the older models in the apple store a few months ago..
    And why does the MBA screen look better than the other models?

I think the screen on my asus eeepc is actually brighter than these laptops..
    Am I crazy??
    Frustrated....
    -Mike

2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

A 15" will solve all your problems. The 13" screen still isn't up to par IMO (and has a way too thick bezel). The 15" has a much brighter display than even the MBA.

The white MB screen is absolutely horrific compared to any of the other new notebooks, and in general for that matter. I thought they've always sucked.

3. macproguy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

So am I correct in my assumption that the current MBA has a better screen than the current MBP 13in?

There is no way I'm going to upgrade to the 15inch... I might as well keep my eeepc, too much cash.

What about the screens on those 1.6ghz 999.00 MBA's I see in the refurb store? Are they are of the same quality as the screen on the current MBA?

-Mike

4. Machinima macrumors newbie

Yes thats correct, a much much much much better screen. The screen in the 13" MBP isnt even a MBP screen, its still the rubbish screen they used when it was still a Macbook, which it actually is.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I believe it is all a limitation set by Apple to meet power consumtion otherwise known as "green" standards. I think the limitation would be fine when on battery as we do want it to last more than 20 minutes. However, when we are plugged in, I think we should be able to override all the "gold" rating crap and turn it up all the way... It really is disappointing.

I think you will quickly get used to it, and you should stay positive about all of the great features at lower prices.

Good luck.

Add - Energy Star 5.0 and EPEAT Gold are the culprits!

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

With the 13", would calibration help the look of the screen? I know it won't help with it being so DIM but atleast it can help with viewing quality.

7. ikos macrumors regular

I hope you're joking??? I just got a 13.3 MBP and the screen is very bright with great depth of color. I actually have to turn the screen down in most cases.

8. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Hold up. I thought the new 13" MBP screens were just as good if not better than the MBA's screen (sans lines of course). Can anyone confirm?

9. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

you must have really high standards (i thought i did)....i had an air that I sold to buy my 13" MBP and the screen on my new MBP is as good if not better than the screen on my air...I did use one of the color profiles in the LCD thread that made it look even better.

10. samwise macrumors regular

There are about 5 or 6 different screens used in the new 13.3" MBP - I have the 9CBD screen and it is very bright even on the default profile and no calibration. Some of the other screens don't come out so well - see this thread for info.

11. cababah macrumors 68000

Isn't it pretty ridiculous how they use so many different screens in the 13" MBP in which some are inferior to others?

Why can't Apple just find a nice screen and stick with that one and put it in all the models instead of having some crappy screens and some nice ones. I think it is total bulls***t how we all pay the same price for a "pro" computer and yet some people get stuck with crappier screens.

12. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

But what has really changed between the uni 13 MB and the new 13 MBP? it seems to be me they added an SD slot, Firewire and the word PRO. Everything else is exactly the same save for a slight speed bump. Maybe to make the owners a bit happier to know that they now have a "pro" laptop. To me, its pretty clever marketing.

13. polaris20 macrumors 68020

True. But your complaint would be more valid if they tacked on the few features, plus the "Pro" name, and then raised the price. They didn't though, and they actually lowered the price.

14. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

Just to make everything clear:

I bought a 13" MBP 4 days ago. I was thinking of buying a new mac for over 6 months and was leaning towards 15" MBP with only the reason of the crappiness of the 13" unibody alu MB.

Apple rebranded unibody Macbook and updated it's screen to 15" MBP caliber.

The screen is just beautiful. Vieving angles are awesome and brightness is really good. MBA has a very similar screen and you can compare it against each other in any Apple store and you'll see for yourself.

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think at this point, the "Pro" name means nothing - more so after the intro to the 13-inch if it wasn't already. From a few posts above, it looks like Apple's marketing has worked again. People see the "Pro" and quickly assume that it falls into category with superior hardware and fail to see that the 13-inch MacBook Pro is nothing more than a renamed/rebranded 13-inch MacBook w/ an SD slot. But I do agree with people that Apple should stick to one panel rather than taking panels from various companies.

16. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

I disagree. The screen is much much much better then 13" unibody MB. But I could agree with no BTO option for 7200rpm drives as well as no matte display option.

17. cababah macrumors 68000

It doesn't matter if it is "pro" worthy or not. My main point is that I think it is b.s how we all pay the same price for the computer and some people get a screen that is of a lesser quality. We should all be getting the same quality screens in the computer.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ditto here, my 13" MBP looks amazing. That guy you quoted post is fulla BS. The 15" is only a tad bit brighter than the 13" and the Air doesn't look as good as the new 13" MBP as I just sold my RevB Air to get the new MBP. As I've always said, if you are looking to buy a Mac, don't come to Macrumors, you will never buy one with the rude pessimists on this board.

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's odd. Practically every online review of the new 13" MBP screen disagrees with your statement.

20. awesomebase macrumors regular

Good screens

I have a white and black MacBook and a new MBP 17". All the screens are fine to me, but the MBP 17" is by far the best. I find it odd that brightness is the concern here... I think they're all plenty bright. The MBP 17" that I have has the anti-glare screen and it is about the best screen that I've seen -- very sharp, excellent contrast and plenty bright. The MBP 13" I know is a step down, but that isn't unusual -- a trip to the Apple store where you see them side by side shows the difference. I guess it is a matter of taste, but my thinking is that there are other issues I would argue against before brightness... (i.e. glare for glossy screens, resolution for 13" and 15" MBPs, large bezel, etc.)

21. macproguy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I disagree..
    I checked out the 13 MB and the 13 MBP at best buy, and the screens are not very bright to my eyes...

Now, I read the same reviews as you guys, so I was VERY surprised and disappointed when what I saw with my eyes didn't match what the reviews and posters said...
    I am no hater, I want this to be good so I can get one.

Could it be that the demo machines I am looking at have different panels than the ones you guys/reviewers have?

22. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I've got a white MB, an uMBP13", a santa-rosa 15" MBP, a MBP17" hi-res and 2 blackbooks. Of all these screens, the new MBP 13" is the best without even the slightest doubt. the MBP 17" is a matte and has a super screen, but even compared to that, the new uMBP13" is really, really bright. It's just that it is glossy. I've got the 9CBD and comparing it to the white or blackbooks, this is a leap forward.
    Compared to a uMB in the shop, the difference wasn't that bad.
    I've seen now a lot of different screens, at the shop they had three different makes, I liked this one the best, but to be honest? If I hadn't compared them next to each other, I couldn't have seen the difference.

23. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Yes but you should also consider the lighting in the store. Many times I've seen a seemingly dull screen (under store lighting) come to life when I got it home. Lighting alters users' perception of brightness and even overall screen quality, more than probably many people realize.

24. donster28 macrumors 65816

What the heck are you talking about? I compared both of my friend's MBP 15" with my new 13" and mine trumps it. Have you even seen the MBP 13" screens?

25. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn