Very disappointed to how anti apple trolling is handled in these forums.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bouncer1, Oct 24, 2010.

1. bouncer1 macrumors 6502

First of all let me just say, that because you guys can issue warnings and the like, doesn't mean you have to overdo it. A light, wise hand is important.

When someone gets a warning, make sure that you are in the right 100%, because it costs nothing to issue reprimands, but it can be very annoying to the other party if they consider them unfair.

So, let me get to the point.

There's a lot of trolling here from the pc side (or android or whatever) that gets tolerated. But as soon as someone replies to the troll, and said troll reports them, bam they get a warning for no reason. You are playing the troll's game here. I've been enjoying my posting here most of the day, and the lots of interesting things I 've read. And suddenly in a thread where we are discussing how revolutionary the new airs are, and the general direction of apple in the future, there comes a guy, known to troll, and intentionally provokes everyone. I try my best to just ignore them and I tell them they are in my ignore list because of their intentional trolling.

And what happens I get a warning. Someone who's posting here these past couple of days a lot, with a lot of interest for the airs, is somehow equated with someone who comes here to intentionally anger and provoke people.

This is not a the kind of response I 've gotten accustomed to in smaller apple fora.

I am sorry, but this has made very agree, and justifiably so.

To add insult to injury my post was removed and the original trolling post remained. Here's the original post in response to what I wrote:

(remember this is a discussion where we are all marveling at the new airs, and your definition of trolling from the rules is: Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call. So this guy talking here about the horrors of apple machines and them being "classic examples of form over function", isn't trying to anger member or intentionally cause negative emotions)

Tell me, was that guy in anyway prepared to discuss his blanket dismissive statement of apple? No. Was he posting "in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions"? He sure was. Is there any way he can elicit a positive reaction in a fan of the new airs and apple with a blanket dismissal of them? No.

Now what do you want me to do then? Report them, like he -in typical fashion of a troll they did-? And ok, he reported my post, can't you guys use some judgement here that if someone goes in forums for machines they consider sub par and dismisses them he can't accuse others of trolling then???????

Let me go to the sony forums and do the same, see how well everyone will receive me. I ll go then to the sony mods and say hey please punish these guys cause they didn't take it so well that I called ALL their devices sub par.

And let me ask you something else. What on earth is a poster who believes apple's products are inferior doing here to begin with? That is trolling from the get go. Will you protect apple users, or are you going to be taken by the proverbial ride from people who are here to dismiss apple's os, applications and computers? You know I am just wondering. I see so much snarkiness here against apple and I wonder, what are these guys doing here if they don't like the products themselves? Well, they troll, that's what they do, they are pestering others, annoying them, and enerveting them. Then why are they let to be here? Trolling is not an occasional heated exchange with another poster, or an occasional insult. That's obvious, and expected when people discuss things. Trolling is when I go in a thread where people are happy with a new apple product and I want to bring everyone down by dismissing it, and deriding it, that's trolling.

Are you prepared to stop this? Would you like this to stop? Because it isn't going to if you don't do anything about it. At some point you have to say, hey if you don't like the products go post somewhere else. Because these guys take advantage of the letter of the rules here, and continue to post against the spirit of the rules all the time. Sure, he didn't call me an idiot, but that would have been a better, straighter way, than deriding my choice of hardware. People who are doing this consistently won't stop.

Now I 've waisted close to half an hour that I would have enjoyed the news in the air forum to deal with this...unbelievable.

I said what I had to say. My intention is not to discuss this because that is my view and it's final. Besides, I don't think it's fair for me to discuss this with ten or more people here being naturally inclined to take an opposite to what I am saying view by virtue of them being moderators.

But I want you to take this seriously and consider my viewpoint.

And I think you ll be able to do that without me engaging in discussion here, because in any case I said what I had to say, it's up to you if you take it into account or not.

And of course I would like you to reverse the decision.
    :):apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

tl;dr

You haven't even been here 3 weeks. You'll get used to it.

3. bouncer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but I want to be here in a few weeks too, and I guess I am too thin skinned to handle it. :(

Anyway, I am sorry I am going against what I said in replying here, I should just let you guys consider that I said without overcrowding this thread. But I came upon an interesting example from a contributor here in a previous thread in the feedback forums that is almost verbatim the type of trolling I am talking about. It's in a thread where a newbie asks what is trolling:

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

yup. get over it.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This forum member has a serious and valid concern. Doesn't matter how long they've been here because newcomers often aren't blinded by sycophancy and protocol. Trolling is a subjective judgement, but there's a general consensus on what it is when it's called out.

But to the OP, the mods won't discuss individual cases of moderation. Use the Contact Form.

7. snouter macrumors 6502a

If the person is a snot on these boards, they are most likely a snot in real life. We've all met the type.

There are plenty of people, like myself, who are able to accept the plusses and minuses with Macs, Windows and Linux.

I am always willing to accept valid criticism, and I am always ready to defend points of view that I think are valid. They KEY, is remembering that most of this is opinion and points of view and not go to overboard with it.

Personally, I find this website to be pretty good. There are other Mac sites I don't even go to anymore. They are just juvenile.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

OP: Here is my take on the situation as it is subjective.

The post in question imo was far from trolling yet you proceeded to call the poster a troll. This is against the forum rules in regards to namecalling and is quite prohibitive to any topic discussion. One can be critical of Apple yet still like their products. I know I am. Does my questioning Apple's moves on a dedicated apple rumors forum make me a troll? No. In fact, this is the ideal place to have this type of discussion. The poster you quoted brought up legitimate points in a proper manner as far as I am concerned. The fact it doesn't lie in agreement with you does not make him a troll, as you are still asserting in this thread.

You could have responded in a more mature manner than resorting to calling one a troll, or just not have responded at all. If you thought he was trolling, merely report the post to have a mod look into it.

However, I am not a mod. If you feel you were mistreated, use the contact us button to get in touch with a mod to discuss this in more detail. The mod team is fairly quick in responses and try to be fair in their dealings

Also, a warning is not a big deal. You did not receive a time out or a permanent ban but merely a contact/warning to inform you to adjust your posting behavior in the future.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Shhhh! No one knows that!

Side note: I did not know you also viewed /g/

10. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

it would help alot if apples didn't suck so much

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I feel ya OP. They hate Apple and its obvious with every single post. They never add anything of value to any discussion and they do nothing but promote the merits of the PC world.

You just have to remember that posters such as these simply do this because they are very sad, insecure people and they have to make themselves feel good about being on the PC side so they come to troll the Mac forums. They fail to realize that a computer is a tool and people have different needs for machines.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uh, the post in question isn't a troll post. Just because somebody criticizes Apple, it doesn't mean they're a troll.

The only thing that might be considered trolling is making fun of his grammar (collaborate vs elaborate - remember, English is not everyone's first language here, and even then, native English speakers still make mistakes) and then calling him a troll and telling him to get off this site.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Reported :p

Nah, j/k.

14. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I believe the issue is one of defining a "troll." Just being anti-Apple or disliking what Apple is doing, does not automatically make a person a troll. People are allowed to express their opinions, as long as it remains in a civil manner. Having different views often makes for better discussions, and face it, none of us will ever completely agree with one another on many topics. And that's OK.

Responding to trolls just makes you part of the problem. Responding to a post that you felt was "troll-worthy," calling them out is not a good way to handle things. If you feel someone may be breaking the rules simply report the post and let the mods handle it. Calling someone a troll just makes the situation worse and encourages actual trolls to keep posting. When someone is falsely accused of being a troll, then calling them a troll derails the thread and keeps helpful posts from being recognized. Also, with replies to trolling it just makes it harder for us mods to clean up the thread, and creating extra work for us is also against forum rules. It's much easier to deleted problematic posts when people don't quote the problem posts.

Often what people see as a troll is just an upset user who is venting and not necessarily considering what they are saying and how it could be taken.

15. Hankcah macrumors regular

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why do some people want a public spectacle?

I'll admit to occasionally defending myself from personal attacks but the report button and contact forms aren't hidden from plain sight. This is somewhat related to the other "In Time Out" thread.

I've seen plenty of people get tagged and put into time out (myself included) but I don't see a need to drag that up if I don't agree with them. Knowledge of English grammar aside.

17. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

Invisibro is disappoint.:cool:

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

MacRumors is MacRumors and /g/ is /g/. They both have their place. To be honest I suggest that users from here should camp out on /g/ for a dose of terrible reality.

The mods here have enough work to do.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I had a hard time telling how that post was a troll post, as well. The OP obviously hasn’t seen true trolling.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Highly agree.

21. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Hilarious that OP thinks that was a troll post.

22. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

the OP doesn't really seem interested in hearing other people's opinions; a few of us said in that original thread that the post in question wasn't trolling at all and he didn't respond (or perhaps his response was so inflammatory that it was deleted by moderators?).

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    There's been situations where one was clearly trolling and posting just to provoke members and just by stating the obvious that the OP is trolling I got put on time-out.
    That doesnt make any sense IMO and calling one a troll when thats what they're clearly doing just gets a bunch of regural members warnings and time-outs.
    And in the end like the OP said the Troll wins and just makes up another username to start some more BS.

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agreed. But this bit has an ever-so-slight whiff of troll:

...to which the easily outraged could counter that not all end-users' requirements are encoded in a product's electronics spec sheets.

If they could be bothered, that is ;)

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I think the OP is one of the slickest trolls I've seen. :p