Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whdigital

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
hate to burst your bubble, but the momentus xt is NOT the fastest notebook hdd. I know i know, I thought so too. but when my hdd started faiing i started doing some research, initially planning on an xt myself (i currently have the 7200 rpm momentus) and saw this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/advanced-format-1tb-hard-drive,3046-12.html
looks like for MOST test the WD scorpio black is the fastest hdd. of course these tests don't do much with the whole caching ability of the xt. in addition you can see that normal r/w is slower for the xt, and it actually uses up a ton of power the most out of all the hdd in that review even at idle! (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/advanced-format-1tb-hard-drive,3046-11.html) its a really long article, but i suggest you take a gander and read the whole article, it was eye opening for me. you may end up trading in the xt for something else ???

You're not bursting my bubble in the slightest... I am quite versed in the hardware design and while the articles that you linked are true - they were testing the older, 500GB model. The new 750GB utilizes VERY different firmware that addresses most of the key points, including power consumption putting it on par with a standard 7200, larger SDD allocation, SATA 6gb/s and NCQ (Native Command Queing).

Read this article for a more accurate review of the model I'm talking about:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hybrid-hard-drive-flash-ssd,3116.html

For my uses, this is the drive to beat until >512GB SSDs are at a more comfortable budget.

LeGacY X

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
VA, USA
You aren't going to be happy then. Every single product outside of the MacPro tower will move closer and closer towards their planned-obsolescence model. It makes business sense for them. They get more money out of the consumer if they are forced to buy a new product sooner. Probably something like 90% of Apple's customer base does not upgrade the internal components anyway. You are seeing it on the software side as well (no Siri on the iPhone 4, new sleep app for ML). It's obvious that their strategy is form over function and status over affordability.

Unfortunately, I agree with you, while they continue to make outstanding products, we will probably continue to see this. This makes me wonder if the 2012 Macbook Pros will be the last with truly user-replaceable internals, and if this may make them more valuable down the line.

WD007

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
The new MBPs call for 1.35 volt ram I thought

While the Vengance Ram is 1.5 volts like last years model....I'm not an expert by any means but wouldn't this pose a problem for a mid 2012 MBP?..

Thanks

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
While the Vengeance Ram is 1.5 volts like last years model....I'm not an expert by any means but wouldn't this pose a problem for a mid 2012 MBP?..

Thanks

This RAM has posed no problem at all for my 2012 that you see in my profile. Yesterday I ran the **** out of this MBP and the harder I pushed it the harder it worked and pushed everything through it. Even last nite I set up 30 videos to re-encode in Compressor 4 for web distribution while I went to bed. I woke up to everything done which puts me 9 hours ahead and making my boss happy in the process.

In my 2011 similarly configured MBP I used the Corsair 16GB for that machine (not the Vengeance RAM that is configured for the 2012) and there were alot of people all over that said that this cheap memory was gonna ruin that machine, well in the 7 moths that I was running that memory I had zero issues, no beach balls, just smooth sailing. In a few threads about that Corsair memory I asked for facts with details on exactly the damage that it would cause using Corsair and those threads never got a reply with any facts and details. The only difference that was factually with details was the cost of the Corsair vs the OWC other expensive "anointed" brands.

As for the Vengeance RAM, in starting my day 3 with this memory of very intensive MBP use I have had no issues, no excessive fans coming on, no excessive heat and everything seems very normal considering all the editing, rendering and outputting I am doing.

ulfnicz

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Hi, this is my first posting all over this forum and I'm about to move over to OSX in the near future and get the MBP non-retina for mainly audiowork and after some bad expieriences with sony and asus notebooks I hope you can help me with my last questions:

The last notebooks I've tested had some serious audio issues, from hissing sound to cracking audio. How's your MBP, have you tried an external audio-interface with it or used Logic with some tracks? Is everything ok or do you have issues too?

What I've read before, many users try to find the best possible config for their needs and their money. Mine is the 2012 MBP 2,6 GHz AG, HDD will be changed in about a year, same as RAM will go up to 16GB. THX! :)

Dankex

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
@MacBookProzak, you're feedback is most welcome!

I have a MacBook 13" Late 2007 model and i'll be upgrading to the basic 15". I do need more then 4GB of RAM, so the first upgrade to the MacBook will be 2 dimms of 8GB. It is incredible how you can handle such tasks without noticing the fans going wild... I think the fact that they are as clean as possible helps too - i had to clean my fans a few months ago and even applied new thermal paste. However, it was just a temporary fix... I really need a new laptop eheh

Do you recommend those Vengeance? I can't find them in Europe stores... Im from Portugal and it is pretty hard to find the RAM dimms this 15" MBP has. I can find a few but they are way to expensive when compared to online US stores...

The SSD will be the 2nd upgrade but that will be done in 1 year after purchase. :) I will remove the optic bay and replace it with the SSD for OS-stuff only.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yes you can do 16GB on this MBP and if they ever come out with single 16GB chips, it will let you go to 32GB of RAM and perhaps further from what i was told.

You may even be able to do 32gb back to the sandy bridge 2011s. The chipset supports it, and other brand sandy bridge machines can go to 32gb.

but, the price of 16gb SO-DIMMs at the moment is fairly prohibitive for the purposes of experimentation... and 16gb is enough for most - at that point your workload is likely disk IO bound anyway.

edgeball

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
HDD in Optibay on new 2012 MBP

Does anyone know if the Optibay Drive fits in the new 2012 model? My finger is on the "order" button for the new mbp 15". But I'd also like to put the existing HDD in the optical bay and get a 256gb SSD as a system disk.
There's no information on the MCETech website so far.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Does anyone know if the Optibay Drive fits in the new 2012 model? My finger is on the "order" button for the new mbp 15". But I'd also like to put the existing HDD in the optical bay and get a 256gb SSD as a system disk.

I can't be 100% sure but the DVD drive is an ordinary drive bay so it should accomodate any typical drive including the optibay.

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
You may even be able to do 32gb back to the sandy bridge 2011s. The chipset supports it, and other brand sandy bridge machines can go to 32gb.

but, the price of 16gb SO-DIMMs at the moment is fairly prohibitive for the purposes of experimentation... and 16gb is enough for most - at that point your workload is likely disk IO bound anyway.

Yes, you are correct, Sandy Bridge will support 32GB and beyond from what I was told (providing that chips this big are ever made)

DrJohnZoidberg

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
[snip] ...Good luck with your purchase!!!
Have you made your choice yet? I haven't manage to see a rMBP yet (an errant two-year old and DIY precluded a trip to an Apple Store), but I've ordered a 2.6GHz cMBP with anti-glare HiRes.

The pros and cons of the new rMBP were - for me - so closely matched that I would almost certainly have been happy with either machine. In the end it came down to the true anti-glare and - to a lesser extent - the expandibility of the cMBP. The fact that I already have a good SSD means I won't miss out on the SSD speediness of the rMBP, whilst the possibility of running two SSDs in RAID 0 and potentially upgrading to 32GB is an added bonus.

Realistically, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these MBPs. Good luck with making your decision.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009

Yes i switched my bracket from a early 2011 15 inch into the new 2012 with no issues at all. I actually put in the 1TB drive that came with this unit in the optical bay for backup storage and OS I partitioned it into 2 . Also OWC ram works a charm since I just bought that for 189 dollars the day i grabbed the MBP at the Apple store. In case everyone is wondering since i had both my laptops open I saw no visible difference hardware wise between the 2011 and 2012. But I will say the new 2012 is faster no numbers here but I can feel it and the graphics are faster running my NEC 30 inch wide gamut monitor. THe USB 3 was one of the main reasons for switching over. Im completely done with Firewire 800 things. Bought a new USB 3 CF card reader which is much faster. Bought for 2nd storage backup a Seagate 3tb flex drive and also bought a bare 3TB drive and a USB 3 Voyager from OWC for quick 2nd level backup.

Actually glad I did not buy the Retina for now. Maybe next gen. on it it may make more sense. Im either on a 30 inch NEC in the office or when I am on the road at some venues shooting I actually rent a 23 or 24 inch Cinema display so being solely on laptop screen processing images is not often. Rather wait when I am on external monitors

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Can anyone tell me if the new 2012 regular MBPs (non retina) have the newer style screws like the retina uses or if they use regular phillips head? Ordered a new MBP 15 and want to swap to an SSD/RAM and need to know if I need the special screw driver to remove the bottom panel.

Thanks!

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
i currently own a late 2011 MBP 2.0Ghz the standard model. Would any of you say it would be worth it to sell it and upgrade to the 2012 model?

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
i currently own a late 2011 MBP 2.0Ghz the standard model. Would any of you say it would be worth it to sell it and upgrade to the 2012 model?

If you have the money and the need for the new model, it's always worth it. You don't need random people on the internet to tell you if its worth it. If you are in doubt, you probably either don't need or can't really afford it.

Either way, it's totally your choice.

rays09

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
high model non retina with high ress screen or standard screen ? how big is the experience? what u all bought? are you satisfied with your non retina 2012 macbook pro? i confuse beetwen the retina and none retina one if the retina money is an issue so i only can take the base model and 16gb ram.. this is the hard choice.. give some feedback please... :(

AfzalivE

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012

Well if you don't wanna spend $50 on the optibay. buy a cheap knockoff from ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221042694347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I ordered this one, I think it'll fit since the dimensions of the MBP haven't changed at all.

CUsurfer

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
Have you made your choice yet? I haven't manage to see a rMBP yet (an errant two-year old and DIY precluded a trip to an Apple Store), but I've ordered a 2.6GHz cMBP with anti-glare HiRes.

The pros and cons of the new rMBP were - for me - so closely matched that I would almost certainly have been happy with either machine. In the end it came down to the true anti-glare and - to a lesser extent - the expandibility of the cMBP. The fact that I already have a good SSD means I won't miss out on the SSD speediness of the rMBP, whilst the possibility of running two SSDs in RAID 0 and potentially upgrading to 32GB is an added bonus.

Realistically, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these MBPs. Good luck with making your decision.

That's awesome. I think you made the right decision. There is definitely no one right answer for anyone here. I keep trying to reiterate: you have to look at how you will use it, your specific needs, and then make a decision. There is no magic answer. The pros and cons of both models are stark. The fact that you already have an SSD is a big factor in my eyes.

I'm still trying to make up my mind. The cMBP is really attractive to me for all the reasons aforementioned except one--screen real estate! I utilize a program daily that requires a ton of screen real estate, so it's a very important concern for me. 1920x1200 is so appealing! I definitely want to see it in person though, or at least see some screenshots so I can decide for myself if it's usable. I am really concerned about being an early adopter of this model. I think I can deal with some blurry web imagery. I'm a bit confused why Apple couldn't use a different pixel scaling algorithm (there was another thread on this somewhere in here--I forget the title) to prevent the blurriness, but whatever--I can deal. I'm sure there will be a couple months worth of issues until they iron out the kinks. The Apple store lag and the Safari scrolling bug makes me feel like this release was rushed.

Actually my perfect solution is to find a late 2011 model at this time, and try to get a Retina model in a few years when the world is more prepared for HiDPI displays. Unfortunately I've been having trouble finding one for the right price (understandable, they just bought, why would they be selling unless they are really desperate for a '12 model). Kind of like we talked about before--I want to be extra, extra sure that there is no issue with the GPU pushing around all those pixels of the rMBP, so I'm waiting for a few more reviews to surface, but honestly, I don't think it's real issue. I think we just got scared by all those initial reports. So if I can't find a 2011, I'm still leaning towards the bottom-spec rMBP w/ 16GB ram. I wish they had dropped the price of the classic a bit more, but I guess one can't complain. They really should have made 1680x1050 standard, but...it's Apple.

If I get the rMBP, I'll definitely be jealous of all that extra space in the cMBP. Honestly, I could care less about the new slim form factor. The cMBP is plenty slim enough for me. I just feel like I'm getting more for my money with the rMBP--it's really, really close though, hence the tough decision.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Can anyone tell me if the new 2012 regular MBPs (non retina) have the newer style screws like the retina uses or if they use regular phillips head? Ordered a new MBP 15 and want to swap to an SSD/RAM and need to know if I need the special screw driver to remove the bottom panel.

Thanks!

Yes 0 Phillips head

whdigital

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I pulled the trigger late last Thurs. night (just barely before Midnight PST) on a CTO cMBP (2.6, HR AG, 7200rpm) and it's out for delivery this morning! That's astoundingly fast, really just 1 business day + the weekend and it's out the door in Shanghai, through US Customs in Memphis and back to West Coast. :)

Anyway, in the lead up to this (before the new machines were revealed) I had purchased Corsair's 16GB "Value Select" 1333 RAM to install in a since returned 2011 Refurb. Anyone know if these sticks will work in the new MBP? It looks like the spec is for 1600, but curious if they would even be recognized - or what the real difference in performance, power draw, heat really is, if anything at all.

I can look into exchanging them as I never opened the package, but for what? Vengence Series?

TIA

angelomango

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
4. USB ports on both sides, separated from each other

THIS. I don't know why Apple hasn't separated the ports by at least an additional few centimeters. USB receivers/flash drives are not all skinny/small and this has prevented me from using more than one USB device at a time in the past. There HAS to be someone that said, "Hey, aren't those USB ports a tad too close to each other?" I don't really mind if they were on the same side of the Macbook Pro or not, but they just need to have adequate space to accomodate all kinds of USB devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.