Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
On the aluminum frame.

I just took off the bumper and there are a lot of little marks or scratches.
Mostly on the top and bottom.

So irritating..
I'll take pics tomorrow

Can I get these out anyway?
There's an especially annoying one on the sleep button. BUNCH around the dock connector.

Can I eventually replace these parts for cheap?

NeonGreenHermit

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
UK
Eek!

Getting my green bumper any day now (finally shipping... zzz...), and I loathe scratches (invisishielded up :cool:)

Is it an official Apple one?

What colour? (heard some of the colours have different grade rubber).

Could it be that these came about from constant removal? I plan to keep mine on, and have a universal dock for charging. I agree with many posters that it's not the best thought out case on the planet, but I think it does look good, and provides a few extra degrees of protection (please dont flame me with iFixit's latest vid, I've seen their bumper one).

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
On the aluminum frame.

So irritating..
I'll take pics tomorrow

There's an especially annoying one on the sleep button. BUNCH around the dock connector.

This is an unfortunate result of using a bumper. My first iPhone 4 had the same marks after a week of use. It's also important to note I grip my phone loosely. This is just another iPhone 4 shortcoming. I've accepted the fact that Apple just blew it on this thing.*

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the issue is caused not by taking the bumper on and off but rather small particles, dust, sand in between the bumper and the phone while the bumper is on the phone. That is then causing the scratches.

Its not like the seal between the bumper and the phone is hermetical/air tight. Stuff can get between the two and if potentially mark up the phone.

I see this with my current phone (nexus) and the seido case. I took the case off, and while I did not find any scratches, I was surprised to see debris in between the phone and case.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This is an unfortunate result of using a bumper. My first iPhone 4 had the same marks after a week of use. It's also important to note I grip my phone loosely. This is just another iPhone 4 shortcoming. I've accepted the fact that Apple just blew it on this thing.*

This is not Apple's fault and it has nothing to do with how tightly you grip the phone. Any case will cause scratches if you have dirt between the case and the phone. My MBP has some scratches from its Speck hard shell.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
OMFG I saw a lady on the tv that was killed in a freak accident.... She had an iPhone in her purse!! It's apple's fault!!

Really kids? Is everything really apple's fault? Dust under the bumper (that YOU didn't clean) is what caused your scratches. FFS you people freaking make me want to go beat a puppy.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
OMFG I saw a lady on the tv that was killed in a freak accident.... She had an iPhone in her purse!! It's apple's fault!!

Really kids? Is everything really apple's fault? Dust under the bumper (that YOU didn't clean) is what caused your scratches. FFS you people freaking make me want to go beat a puppy.

While I do agree with your sentiment generally, in this case the OP wasn't actually blaming Apple. He was just wondering how to get the scratches out.

On another note, the "you're holding it wrong thing" is very, very overplayed now.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I think it's the plastic parts that rub on the aluminum. It's a black apple bumper

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
For God's sake...JUST USE THE PHONE and ALL OF ITS APPLICATIONS...

I can be just as obsessive as anybody about keeping my stuff looking like new...BUT...for God's sake, the iPhone is meant to be used. ENJOY IT and don't worry about minor scratches, resale value, etc...

You could go out and get run over by a bus tomorrow...enjoy your iPhone 4 TODAY!!!

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006

I can be just as obsessive as anybody about keeping my stuff looking like new...BUT...for God's sake, the iPhone is meant to be used. ENJOY IT and don't worry about minor scratches, resale value, etc...

You could go out and get run over by a bus tomorrow...enjoy your iPhone 4 TODAY!!!

That was uncalled for. While I'm "just using the phone" and thoroughly enjoying it, I also have three small scuffs on the top of my iPhone from the bumper. It's just unfortunate that Incase hasn't come out with anything, so I'm using Apple's bumper, and it's actually harming the device. Going naked I guess...

reliantj

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008

errr, for some of us are full time students and have part time jobs, like myself...
because of that i had to save up for this $300+ phone for awhile. i'd like to keep this phone as pristine as possible because i can't afford another one. if this breaks i'm SOL and have to go back to an old motorolla that still says Cingular.

We're not all made of money.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
On the aluminum frame.

So irritating..
I'll take pics tomorrow

If you're going to start this thread, you really should have posted pictures along with it (and not waited until tomorrow).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's just unfortunate that Incase hasn't come out with anything, so I'm using Apple's bumper, and it's actually harming the device. Going naked I guess...

Cases cause scratches so they're not a solution either. I've actually had to apply a full body shield to my wife's iPhone to protect the case from scratching it.

I wear mine naked. No scratches anywhere after two weeks.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
After more than two weeks since launch day, people are still anal about a phone?

If you want the "perfect" iPhone 4, try to never use it. Ever. Reality bites. Who knows, a tiny speck of dust might sneak its way under the glass. Perhaps the bacteria from your fingerprints will give you an ear infection. Dude, the chrome bezel in my 2G iPhone got scruff marks all the time. Just keep that front glass pristine, and only the OCD folks care about the rest.

You are paying $300 for a "phone." Not $300 that is indestructable from an Atomic bomb.

Sh-- happens. Live with it. Your life was never perfect to begin with.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Really now? It is a shortcoming of the iPhone 4 because it got tiny scratches from the use of a completely optional accessory?
Your assumptions are... well... wrong. I am a long time Apple customer.*I did what I've done before, trust that Apple had built a good iPhone 4. This time they screwed up, and I'm _not_ talking about scratches. I'm talking about the same thing others are. How poor the phone is.*

Sorry to hear of your anger management issues.*

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Just because you are crazy and think that Apple is out to get you personally, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. ;)

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Your assumptions are... well... wrong. I am a long time Apple customer.*I did what I've done before, trust that Apple had built a good iPhone 4. This time they screwed up, and I'm _not_ talking about scratches. I'm talking about the same thing others are. How poor the phone is.*

Sorry to hear of your anger management issues.*

Apple did build a "good iPHone 4". They didn't screw up. Many many more happy users than un-happy users. YOU can resolve every issue you have with your i-4, no need to wait for apple. Return the device for your money back, problem solved.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
This is a phone! Enjoy it and stop sweating over the small stuff. Sheesh. I'm going to Barcelona on Monday and I'm more worried about Spain winning the world cup. Kick that ball well you damn Spaniards!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.