Video Depicts Alleged 'iPhone 9' But Design Doesn't Match Up With Rumors [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A video featuring an alleged "iPhone 9" aka "iPhone SE 2" or low-cost iPhone surfaced on TikTok today, sparking discussion that this is the design of the affordable $399 device that Apple will release in the next couple of months.

The iPhone in the image features thick top and bottom bezels, a Touch ID Home button, and a seafoam green color, but notably, it also has an iPhone 4-style design, which is not at all in line with current rumors.

Everything we've heard about the low-cost iPhone suggests it's going to be physically identical to the iPhone 8 but with an upgraded A13 processor, which makes sense given its price tag.

Rumors suggest Apple is going to price the device at $399, and at that price point, it's unlikely Apple is putting development resources into an entirely new device design like the one that's depicted here.

The iPhone in the image is likely a modified iPhone 8 or similar that has a custom casing installed. There are custom casings like this available for those who want to change the design of their older iPhones, and that's what we're probably seeing.

As mentioned before, we're expecting the new low-cost iPhone to look identical to the iPhone 8, but with upgraded internals. It will be similar to the iPhone SE, which adopted Apple's iPhone 5 design with more modern components.

Rumors suggest that the new low-cost iPhone is going to launch in the first half of 2020, with Apple said to be planning an event for March 31. If there is indeed a March 31 event where the new iPhone is shown off, we can expect a launch to follow on April 3.

Update Feb 20: Forum member primarycolors has discovered an aftermarket casing for an iPhone 8 that appears to match the one seen in the video.

Article Link: Video Depicts Alleged 'iPhone 9' But Design Doesn't Match Up With Rumors [Updated]

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
probably is fake but

9to5 says:

"If this were a legitimate iPhone prototype, it would almost certainly have a “Proprietary and Confidential” warning on the lock screen"

Maybe its an actual production model not a prototype?

no, the phone is running iOS 12!
Duh! good point

Im surprised we haven't seen any leaks of this thing

Reactions: viettanium

Falhófnir

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2017
If it is real it looks pretty good with the flattened edges. I was hoping for midnight green rather than the mint as a colour option though!
probably is fake but

9to5 says:

"If this were a legitimate iPhone prototype, it would almost certainly have a “Proprietary and Confidential” warning on the lock screen"

Maybe its an actual production model not a prototype?

Duh! good point

Im surprised we haven't seen any leaks of this thing
(Assuming this is fake) Presumably as it looks virtually identical to the iPhone 8? Would make taking the risk of leaking something less appealing possibly.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Also, wouldn’t the iPhone SE 2/ iPhone 9 only support iOS 13.4 and higher?
In theory, but they could ship some with 13.3.1 and only offer 13.4 at time of release coinciding with production cycle

With XR, iOS 12.1 was the version by the time it was for sale but many units (mine included) shipped with 12.0.1 depending on when it was made

12.0.1 on XR was never publicly signed, it either came with the phone or it didn't

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Third-party chassis. Nothing new.

You can buy unique chassis designs on AliExpress. You can put your iPhone 8 into an iPhone X chassis if you want.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
The ugly color seems legit.
If you like the color, that's fine. To me, these pastel colors are getting old.
Was going to say this. That gives it the most credibility, lol. But something about the animation seems off, but it has been several years since I had a Touch ID iPhone.

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Might be fake, but that looks great. Looking at iPad Pro, I’ve been expecting this sort of look going forward, so interesting to see it here & looking really good, authenticity be damned.

Reactions: jgdeschamps

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
The antennabands looks absolutely not apple. The SIM card tray either. So this one is fake even without the ios12 hint - no not real.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
I think it would be so odd if they released an SE 2 in 2020 with the EXACT same design as the iPhone 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.