Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, I just can't seem to find what I am looking for... I edit videos for fun mostly that I take in 1080p with a DSLR and a go pro. I want to make the change to a MacBook Pro and was wanting to hear your experiences with video editing on the MacBook with the 2.5ghz processor. If I'm not editing 4K videos, will I notice a significant difference in speed that would be worth the extra cost?

I would be using Adobe premier pro or Final Cut Pro to edit and my videos usually only have 1-4 tracks and are up to 10 min long.

Thanks for the advice!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, I just can't seem to find what I am looking for... I edit videos for fun mostly that I take in 1080p with a DSLR and a go pro. I want to make the change to a MacBook Pro and was wanting to hear your experiences with video editing on the MacBook with the 2.5ghz processor. If I'm not editing 4K videos, will I notice a significant difference in speed that would be worth the extra cost?

I would be using Adobe premier pro or Final Cut Pro to edit and my videos usually only have 1-4 tracks and are up to 10 min long.

Thanks for the advice!
Ok not apples for apples but if you can edit 4K on a 2015 Macbook then I think you'll be fine with its bigger brother...

Reactions: TheRanger

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I edit in 1080 on a 2.5GHz Mac Mini and it's as smooth as silk. I am about to move from Premiere Pro to Final Cut Pro X.

BeechFlyer

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
One of my two computers is a current 13" MacBook Pro - the bare-bones entry-level model. Its performance is fantastic for FCP X and 1080P material. I just wish it had a bigger screen, but that's what my other system (Mac Pro) is for.

I wouldn't worry about CPU speed for what you describe. The size of the SSD and your screen size will affect you much more than the CPU speed.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
FCPX is super optimized for the Apple Hardware so it will need a heavy timeline before you start to feel the load. And with background rendering, most of the times you won't notice anything. Just make sure you have a fast external hard drive to keep your video files and your projects files, for maximum performance! I was able to edit 4K Raw files straight from a RED Scarlet with my 2012 15" cMBP 2.6GHZ and I can't just imagine what the new MBPs can do with all that CPU/GPU power!!!

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
If I'm not editing 4K videos, will I notice a significant difference in speed that would be worth the extra cost?

With what little we know, the Macbook Pro should suit your needs. However, you never specified what the other option is. Difference in speed and worth the extra cost over what?

TheRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
With what little we know, the Macbook Pro should suit your needs. However, you never specified what the other option is. Difference in speed and worth the extra cost over what?

Sorry should have made it more clear. The upgrade is $300 to a 2.8ghz processor... I'm looking at the 15" MacBook Pro released in July 2014. I'm feeling like it's not worth it for what I'm going to be doing, and I'll buy FCPX with the $300 instead.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Sounds like a good decision for what you are going to use it for!

when things become slow - which i guess can happen when we're talking about 4 45mb/s h.264 files played back simultaneously - you can always resort to proxy files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.