Video iPod Coming Soon?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to AppleInsider, Apple is prepared to launch a video-capable version of the iPod in the coming weeks, possibly as soon as the scheduled October 12th media event.

The new iPod is expected to be a similar form factor as the present 60 GB iPod, although several millimeters thinner. It is expected to have a smaller click-wheel as found on the iPod nano, making way for a larger high-resolution color display than the current full-size iPod offering.

A major iTunes update is expected with the release as well, containing a significant number of downloadable music videos and other short movie content.

smack416

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2004
Toronto
Macrumors said:
According to AppleInsider, Apple is prepared to launch a video-capable version of the iPod in the coming weeks, possibly as soon as the scheduled October 12th media event.
*sigh*

What else could a movie curtain imply?

Unfortunately, I don't expect any compelling content to be available. HD is too large. Anything else is no good for output, imho.

It would be nice on a long plane ride though. Should be fun to see how small they can make it while maximizing screen size.

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
I'll buy one. I cracked my iPod's screen today, I'm going to replace it. But I really don't want to buy another one until Apple comes out with a video iPod.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
smack416 said:
*sigh*

Unfortunately, I don't expect any compelling content to be available. HD is too large. Anything else is no good for output, imho.

It would be nice on a long plane ride though. Should be fun to see how small they can make it while maximizing screen size.
Why would you want HD on a 3" screen anyway? (Assuming the screen is indeed that big)

(Edit: I realized you were probably talking about using the iPod as a video source for a TV?? Yeah, in that case the iPod is too small. Maybe there will be a bump up to 80GB.)

The video clips can be pretty low resolution and still look good on a small LCD.

The compelling content is probably going to be [pirated] downloaded episodes of TV shows. I'd love to pack a few seasons of Family Guy with me before getting on the train.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
sounds cool.... hopefully it will arrive around by the 23rd ; when my parents come up for visting weekend.... ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
smack416 said:
If you see red curtains it's a sure sign that you will soon encounter a dwarf who speaks backwards.

swdrumcp

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2003
Sounds interesting, but the screen is still small for good video watching in my opinion.
Maybe they will offer a new format, something alone the lines of the movies available for the play station portable for example.
Thiking about the PSP, the new iPods need to offer some advantage over it.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm on an 11 for excitement. I can't wait to see what these look like. Unfor. everybody's still gonna have to wait another week.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Sounds like it might just be time for me to upgrade my iPod.

It will be interesting to see what they would offer in terms of downloadable content.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
If you can plug it into a TV, then it would be killer. Otherwise, I say 'who cares?'

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
mac_hine82 said:
I'm getting sick of hearing about it. LETS SEE IT!
Whoot! I second that! :D

All this news today is making me excited for the 12th!

edit: oh yeah you better be able to plug it into your tv.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
smack416 said:
Output, my dear Watson. Output.

You'd have to be a nutter to watch anything on a 3" screen.
Totally agree with you here. I think it will be a start into a whole home entertainment package Apple puts forth.

Older thread still have similar philosophy.

smack416

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2004
Toronto
neocell said:
Totally agree with you here. I think it will be a start into a whole home entertainment package Apple puts forth.
Absolutely. Apple has made it clear that they don't believe in a computer in the living room. But they never said any such thing about an iPod (remote?) and/or an Airport Express that can handle A/V. We'll see. Could be very interesting. Lots of possibilities.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I for one would love to have a Video iPod that I could plug into a TV.....but I would not want to carry around a big cable like the one that originally came with the iPod Photo. I took that with me one time and boxed it up afterwards....way too big.

podfuture

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
Macrumors said:

The new iPod is expected to be a similar form factor as the present 60 GB iPod, although several millimeters thinner. It is expected to have a smaller click-wheel as found on the iPod nano, making way for a larger high-resolution color display than the current full-size iPod offering.

A major iTunes update is expected with the release as well, containing a significant number of downloadable music videos and other short movie content.
Do you think Apple insider is using Macrumors as a source :)

I was right about the nano. If the iPod Video launches next Tuesday having the form factor I announced.. do I still have to be a newbie?

It's ok. I can deal with it. Only a thousand meaningless posts to go.

podfuture

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
Lacero said:
If you can plug it into a TV, then it would be killer. Otherwise, I say 'who cares?'
I agree. It only makes sense if the iPod Video is capable of output.

Remember when the first Sony Watchman TVs came out? After a few minutes it seemed ok to look at the tiny screen. So for some situations watching on the iPod Video screen will be ok.

Output:

Special Omni Connector with audio/video out (Omni Connector is Apple's term for the dock connector).

WiFi on some models to go with new Airport / Airport Express.

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
I own a MP4 player which costs me $299, large screen, photos, voice recordings, video recorder with flash and still pictures, videos, mp3, plug a video game system or something else. A video iPod just doesn't seem right at the moment.

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
BLAHHHHHH, who wants music videos on their ipod?? I never even look at the pics I have on mine. Apple release some new macs. All Apple does is focus on the %&$# ipod. Uhhhhhhhhh, rant over.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
smack416 said:
Output, my dear Watson. Output.

You'd have to be a nutter to watch anything on a 3" screen.
Yeah, totally nutters!

themacman said:
The ipod rumors get better and better. THis product soudns truly amazing
Not amazing, really. Its not that big a step to transform the iPod into something that outputs video.

I don't see why they have to change the form factor if it's going to do output? Maybe you were also meant to watch video on it's screen? :confused: