Video iPod Really Coming on Oct 12th?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret backsteps with an article reporting that a Video iPod may indeed be debuting tomorrow at Apple's October 12th Media Event.

ThinkSecret previously reported that tomorrow's event would bring 40GB/80GB iPods as well as Powerbook and PowerMac updates... but no Video iPod.

The rumor site amends its previous report with notes that the iPod updates may instead be 30GB/60GB iPods with video playback ability. They are quick to point out that video playback may only focus on music videos, podcasts and possibly TV, but unlikely to feature full length films.

Meanwhile, one unconfirmed blog post reports that "a popular video blog" has been asked by Apple to be used during Apple's presentation tomorrow... suggesting that Video playback will featured at the event.

The highly anticipated event will take place at 10:00 a.m. PT, Oct 12th, at the California Theatre in San Jose, CA.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
New Jersey
I hope there are Mac updates tomorrow... i've waited long enough for Powerbook updates.

I will still say it though... a video IPOD so soon would be extremely surprising considering Apple doesnt have the transfer software for them yet. Or at least doesnt have the kinks in the software worked out yet. I hope this rumor is wrong.

RoxStrongo

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
Bournemouth, UK
i dont care about a video ipod. i do care about them constantly getting our hopes up with mac updates and then dashing them against severely jagged rocks.

deanwaterman

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Backpedaling At The Speed of Streaming Video

Well I for one would appreciate a Video Capable iPod. This is good news to me and intriguing. I am wondering where Think Secret is getting their information that caused them to backtrack and reanalyze their prediction.

I was somewhat excited about the idea of a 40G iPod for $299.00 but I would pay more for a player capable of video. Imagine taking your iMovie production with you, hooking up to your buddies TV and showing off the great catch at the lake... Or going to Grandparents house and showing off the kids videos. The possibilities are exciting and I hope that ThinkSecret gets it right this time.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Here it comes...!!!

Though I would rather see larger HD capacities over video capabilities. And yeah, through in some gapless playback while you're at it!

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
I'll be sure to bring the PowerBook to school tomorrow so I can check in on the news. Thankfully my lunch hour is from 1:00 to 2:00 :) ... Hope Berklee's Network won't crash with me refreshing the pages every second ;)

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Thats what we call waffeling.

I for one hope there will be Video in the next update. It will have to happen eventually to stay compettive but it will also just be plain cool. I would love to download the latest episode of so and so and watch it on my way to work.

And if you really don't use video then just dont scroll down to it in the extras menu.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I've lost my faith on Think Secret!
I'll be so maaaaaaaadddddddddd if we don't see Powermac upgrades tomorrow.

deanwaterman

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Dr. Dastardly said:
Thats what we call waffeling.

I for one hope there will be Video in the next update. It will have to happen eventually to stay compettive but it will also just be plain cool. I would love to download the latest episode of so and so and watch it on my way to work.

And if you really don't use video then just dont scroll down to it in the extras menu.

I will take my waffle in 60G Black please. And throw in some video while you are at it. Thanks!

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
TIKI BAR!!!!

I hope it is Tiki Bar...
If you have no idea what this is, do a search in the podcasts of ITMS...
Trust me it is BRILL!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
And Macs may be delayed? I hope people can wait a week. :eek:

TS and AI are coming into alignment. Looks like video. But I still see it being "video as an extra" on music iPods. Not "video iPods" as some people think of them. Not devices dedicated to video on the go.

Video podcasts are good way to make that "extra" be useful. Plus music videos. And both have a connection to the core function of the iPod: audio and music!

However... I do wonder if Apple is just trying to fish out who is leaking info :D

And "one more thing" could still be something else...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
RoxStrongo said:
i do care about them constantly getting our hopes up with mac updates and then dashing them against severely jagged rocks.
"them" meaning the rumor sites, of course, more than Apple themselves ;)

rainman::|:| said:
holy ****, it's really going to happen?? i just lost so many bets. Gotta come up with some cash, quick.
Depends on how carefully those bets were worded :)

Define "video iPod" one way and it's a no-brainer, a nice little extra as part of a redesign.

Define "video iPod" another way (the full deal some people hope for) and I just don't think the world is ready yet. I think your bet may be safe by that measure :)

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
w/e

I'm not interested. Wake me up when its over. Theres so much evidence for it, but so little market. People will buy it, but not for video. It'll be an ill-fated extra like photos. At least they're not doing a seperate line for more $$$ like the photo was. They've learned their lesson.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
deanwaterman said:
Well I for one would appreciate a Video Capable iPod. This is good news to me and intriguing. I am wondering where Think Secret is getting their information that caused them to backtrack and reanalyze their prediction.

I was somewhat excited about the idea of a 40G iPod for $299.00 but I would pay more for a player capable of video. Imagine taking your iMovie production with you, hooking up to your buddies TV and showing off the great catch at the lake... Or going to Grandparents house and showing off the kids videos. The possibilities are exciting and I hope that ThinkSecret gets it right this time.
Exactly why i want one!