Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Friday released the new iPhone 14 models, and MacRumors videographer Dan picked one up on launch day. He's been using the iPhone 14 Pro Max non-stop since it came out, and over on the MacRumors YouTube channel, has shared his initial thoughts on the day-to-day experience with the latest iPhone.

Dan's mini review highlights his issues with setting up the eSIM, the usefulness of the always-on display, the functionality of the Dynamic Island, how the new 48-megapixel camera fares, and more. Make sure to watch the video, and stay tuned to the MacRumors website and the MacRumors YouTube channel because we have more in-depth iPhone 14 video content coming, plus Apple Watch Ultra and AirPods 2 coverage.

Article Link: Video Review: Four Days With the iPhone 14 Pro Max

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Picking up a pro max today, and I am very curious how the transition to e-sim is going to pan out. I have Verizon prepaid with a phsyical sim at the moment. I tried to be proactive and reached out to Verizon yesterday, and they said it should work without an issue, fingers crossed.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Picking up a pro max today, and I am very curious how the transition to e-sim is going to pan out. I have Verizon prepaid with a phsyical sim at the moment. I tried to be proactive and reached out to Verizon yesterday, and they said it should work without an issue, fingers crossed.
I've seen a lot of people have issues with PrePaid plans transferring to eSim. Some it worked no problems, others had to put a call in to make it happen. Pro Max is amazing!

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Got a 14 Pro and immediately regretted it when I picked it up, the thing is just too heavy. And for a handheld device that is a big deal. Everything else is wonderful, the screen is smooth and bright, the camera's amazing. But for holding, texting and reading, what I do 99% of the time, it's just uncomfortable.

It's a shame the regular 14 lacks so many features but it's what I had to change to.

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Love that a quarter of the video is him complaining about Esim and how it doesn't work very well or that he waited in queue so long to get help with it. When all of this is just attributable that he is on some small, no-name carrier without the resources to handle an Apple launch.

And no offense to those carriers... The big carriers struggle every year with the Apple launch.

But we really didn't need his rant about esims and how carriers aren't ready for them. By his own admission, he went to a Verizon store and had everything up and running in minutes.

Moral of the story: go with a small carrier at your own risk. It is literally the risk everyone takes with every product involving a small company: they have less resources. Maybe that's worth it to you for some other reason, but don't complain about it when it doesn't work out for you.

I do International travel and having only an esim is going to be a pain. But, I am more than happy to deal with it because I am ready for physical sims to go the way of the dodo.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Love that a quarter of the video is him complaining about Esim and how it doesn't work very well or that he waited in queue so long to get help with it. When all of this is just attributable that he is on some small, no-name carrier without the resources to handle an Apple launch.

And no offense to those carriers... The big carriers struggle every year with the Apple launch.

But we really didn't need his rant about esims and how carriers aren't ready for them. By his own admission, he went to a Verizon store and had everything up and running in minutes.

I don't think thats a problem, sharing his experience. He's probably not the only person out there on a smaller carrier also interested in the new phones.

Anecdotally, going from 12P to 14PM was easier than I expected on ATT. I felt like I Airdropped my service to the other phone with a pop up and waiting a couple minutes. Not sure if that was everyone's though, I've had some launch years where im in activation hell.

Despite this- I too wish my 14PM had a SIM for flexibility. It wasn't bothering anyone, being there, other than Apple.

simidene

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
I received my 14 pro last week and the E-sim transition was flawless on Att. I really like the black color of my phone. The new island I believe opens up the main screen so that you can focus on other work and calls etc, are not taking up the whole screen. I did notice that on some apps the island does cut off the top part of the app and any writing that maybe there. But all in all, it is certainly for me a worthwhile and appreciable upgrade from the 13pro.

Reactions: 4odomi and SFjohn

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
Got a 14 Pro and immediately regretted it when I picked it up, the thing is just too heavy. And for a handheld device that is a big deal. Everything else is wonderful, the screen is smooth and bright, the camera's amazing. But for holding, texting and reading, what I do 99% of the time, it's just uncomfortable.

It's a shame the regular 14 lacks so many features but it's what I had to change to.
The pro max is 1/4 of a kilogram ,can you imagine that ?

• Disagree
Reactions: 4odomi

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Very happy with mine. Pro raw has really gotten me into photography and do enjoy that AOD even if some don’t. Brightness for one is great and it’s amazing how much a difference it makes

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Even without taking Dynamic Island into consideration, the pill by itself looks so much better than the notch. I would buy an iPhone 14 Pro Max for that alone. I’m so happy to finally have the notch behind us.

yeah was never a deal breaker for me, but at the same time, I never cared for the notch.

I think notch on the laptops now looks even more ridiculous and antiquated even if you can hide it. its not even the mohawk notch, its the unibrow one.

craigab1

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
This is anything but a relaxing fireside chat. I typically enjoy Dan's reviews, but his anti-eSIM rant in this video is embarrassing. I went from a physical SIM to an eSIM on ATT in all of about 5 minutes. The process worked seamlessly, as it did for everyone I know who received their new phone last Friday. If you're going to use a small discount carrier with your top-of-the-line iPhone, I'm not sure why you would expect that to be easy.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
This is anything but a relaxing fireside chat. I typically enjoy Dan's reviews, but his anti-eSIM rant in this video is embarrassing. I went from a physical SIM to an eSIM on ATT in all of about 5 minutes. The process worked seamlessly, as it did for everyone I know who received their new phone last Friday. If you're going to use a small discount carrier with your top-of-the-line iPhone, I'm not sure why you would expect that to be easy.

Counter point - is Dan an Apple employee? Does he have to keep a lid shut on his experience or gaslight us and himself?

Is your iPhone 14 any less of a good device, can it withstand his slight criticism? Of course it can, it’s an inanimate object

David1964

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017

I thought Leeds fans were a bit stronger than that 😂 Sounds like you need to go to the gym and do some push-ups if you can't handle the weight of a smartphone.I use a Pro Max and have no issues with the weight.I like heavy phones.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
It was the most seamless experience for me. Went from a Physical to eSim on my iPhone 13 Pro Max in less than two minutes and a few taps. Transferred that eSim from the iPhone 13 Pro Max to the iPhone 14 Pro Max over Bluetooth in less than 10 seconds. Was up and running.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Even without taking Dynamic Island into consideration, the pill by itself looks so much better than the notch. I would buy an iPhone 14 Pro Max for that alone. I’m so happy to finally have the notch behind us.

Agreed. The fact that the pill is functional too has been a plus for me. I'm looking forward to other apps picking it up as well.

One question that came to me watching this video. I've noticed this in other reviews too where they are pulling the phone out of the box on video for the first time. What's the story with people really slowly and deliberately peeling off the soft cover sticky deal that Apple puts on the screen of a new phone? Picks up the phone at normal speed, but then peels over the screen cover like it's some kind of surprise what's going to be underneath and we're building anticipation. Not exclusive to this video, but have always wondered if there is something I'm missing on that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.