Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It doesn't happen to you, therefore it doesn't happen? There's no class action lawsuite, therefore it doesn't happen? Yeah, good logic.

Read my post better. What I wrote was that I don't deny that this doesn't happen, but that we also should not conclude that this is a major issue that affects a majority of users. It doesn't.

The fact that Apple replaces frayed cables is also not an admission that there is anything wrong here. It is good customer service. My 4 year old time capsule was replaced without issue last year because of a defect.

Again I'm not denying that these things don't happen because they do. But the absolute majority of users do not experience problems. It is perfectly possible that these cables are less resilient than previous cables but as became clear here Apple replaces these without issue. So in stead of complaining about additional cost of replacing cables you could also just walk into a store and get a new one.

Last edited:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Silliest thing on MacRumors today.
Congratulations.
So I suppose that if you've never been in a car accident, or injured your back, or been murdered, that these phenomena don't exist either.
:rolleyes:

I guess it's sillier that you failed to correctly read the complete post or you would have understood what I wrote.

But it is easy to turn your reasoning around: just because you have a frayed cable, we should all have them? Or to use your comparison: just because one person gets murdered all people get murdered? What kind of logic is that?

Here is what is likely going on:

Apple has made a lightning cable that is less resilient than the previous iPod and iPad cables. This means that this cable has a lowered threshold for fraying which means a higher number of people are affected. This hypothesis is supported by the observation that many people that have frayed cables seem to have this problem repeatedly, while others like me, my wife, my parents and the overwhelming majority of my francs and colleagues have never experienced it. So it is unlikely that it is a random thing that happens to everyone with a certain probability.

Still it is annoying for those affected, but like someone said here, you can get a free replacement at Apple. So, apparently Apple acknowledges that there is an issue or it is just an example of great customer service.

So, concluding. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but stating that this is a major problem is grossly overstating it. A number of people complaining on macrumors and other internet sites is not a representation of the total number of lightning users.

Last edited:

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
How is it that I have my first lightning cable from 2 years ago still in pristine condition? Oh, because I don't just yank the cord itself and actually grab the white plug end to pull it out from the device.

Is it that hard to ask people to be just a tad more mindful of their belongings? Especially if you already KNOW the cable will fray easily, that's even more of a reason to avoid abusing it. Instead, people just have this self centered attitude of "I'm going to keep doing it anyway because how dare Apple not create cables that can be folded and yanked and not tear"
I don't know how your cables have lasted so long. it's a mystery.

Since I bought sturdier cables from third parties to use instead of the Apple-supplied ones, I don't have to worry. Nor do I have to be particularly mindful. I can be as self-centered as I like, because my third-party cables work as well for me with my normal handling as your Apple-supplied cables do with your gingerly handling.

Sure, I'd like it if Apple's cables were more durable. But I'm all set with my durable cables (which are also a bit longer than Apples'), thank you very much.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I keep thinking Apple CarPlay is going to nowhere if Apple keeps changing the connection port every two years.
This doesn't change the connection port, it is only changing the USB end that plugs into your computer or wall charge.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Just checking the fact: Apple can do this more easily, and is earlier to market than USB 3.1 reversibles, because the lightning end is already reversible in architecture, and thus there is existing logic for the additional flip. Whichever device is in charge of intuiting the pin logic still can do so.

I'm wording this as poorly as possible, but hopefully people will know what I'm saying.

Lightning flippy floppy makes it easier for USB side to be flippy floppy. Yesno?

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
You can download the USB spec, they have drawings with measurements, I just looked at them. In the Type "A" receptacle the tongue fills exactly 1/2 of it, the bottom edge, where the connectors are, lies exactly on the vertical centerline of the socket.

The board on the end of the plug can be between .38mm and .51mm thick and sits below the plug tongue when connected. So if the plug has a completely central tongue which is a full .51mm thick it would have to bend by 0.255 mm to slide underneath. That is around 2 degrees of bend, less if the plug tongue goes extra far into the plug and only even that if the socket were entirely rigid and kept the plug absolutely perpendicular. Mine (unscientifically) slop up and down a few degrees.

The socket tongue has a .38mm chamfer on it at a minimum angle of 28 degrees, the plug tongue also has a chamfer of the same angle, that's enough to guide one piece under the other.

I doubt it will be frictionless, but there's certainly enough room on the standard Type "A" socket as specified by USB to have a thin, central tongued reversible plug make contact with a small bend of the tongue.

Also worth pointing out is that any design which carries the USB mark must pass insertion, holding and removal force tests as well as contact resistance and capacitance tests to ensure the connection is good.

Figures 6-7 (page 95), 6-9 (page 99) USB revision 2.0 spec.

That's me telt then. Still looks wrong. And more likely to fail. :)

justinhu8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
uuh, no
retail_box_lightning_cable_634x306x24_expand_h0296b5f2.jpg

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news...tning_cable_retail_box_appear_for_first_time/

----------

Could this possibly be it?
http://www.spectrumppd.com/5-PACK-8...ni-iPod-Touch-5-in-FULL-RETAIL-BOX_p_408.html

Alvin777

Suspended
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. It's not real because it's still using the same insulation which cracks and splits in a span of 1 year, like what happened to mine (it now has an ugly black insulation heat shrink tubing). If it's the new one, it should not be the same insulation or material coz' they already know the Lightning cable is worse than the previous one when it comes to durability (the iPhone 3G cracked and split after 4 years). Thanks God bless, Rev. 21:4 :

Attachments

• iPhone 5 Cable.JPG
    iPhone 5 Cable.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 47

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I'm old and dense. Can someone tell me how this is an improvement over the 5x lightning cable?

Now road warriors who use multiple devices across generations will have to carry multiple cables? Again? and this looks bulkier too?

Sorry for the obvious questions, I just haven't followed this story.

----------

Hi. It's not real because it's still using the same insulation which cracks and splits in a span of 1 year, like what happened to mine (it now has an ugly black insulation heat shrink tubing). If it's the new one, it should not be the same insulation or material coz' they already know the Lightning cable is worse than the previous one when it comes to durability (the iPhone 3G cracked and split after 4 years). Thanks God bless, Rev. 21:4 :

I don't think god has any interest in your lightning cable. Maybe Moses.

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
What good is USB 3.0 going to do you on an iPhone cable? The flash in iPhone and iPad can't saturate USB 2.0.

do you understand that the phone's storage is slower than USB 3? as noted on these forums dozens of times every time someone complains of this?

And no matter how many times someone points out that the sequential read speeds of the NAND flash in currently shipping smartphones are actually 3 times greater than the peak transfer rates of USB 2.0, Jabronis like yourselves keep spouting nonsense.

I refer you to my previous post in this same thread.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
And no matter how many times someone points out that the sequential read speeds of the NAND flash in currently shipping smartphones are actually 3 times greater than the peak transfer rates of USB 2.0, Jabronis like yourselves keep spouting nonsense.

I refer you to my previous post in this same thread.

People still plug their phones in to sync? Lol

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Read my post better. What I wrote was that I don't deny that this doesn't happen, but that we also should not conclude that this is a major issue that affects a majority of users. It doesn't.

The fact that Apple replaces frayed cables is also not an admission that there is anything wrong here. It is good customer service. My 4 year old time capsule was replaced without issue last year because of a defect.

Again I'm not denying that these things don't happen because they do. But the absolute majority of users do not experience problems. It is perfectly possible that these cables are less resilient than previous cables but as became clear here Apple replaces these without issue. So in stead of complaining about additional cost of replacing cables you could also just walk into a store and get a new one.

It doesn't have to affect a majority of users (although I don't know how you know it doesn't, and anyway a better figure would be a majority of cables) to be an issue. It could affect 30% of cables, that's far less than the majority but still a significant issue. Again, the fact that they'll replace them doesn't mean it's not an issue that it would be good if they dealt with - getting things replaced is a pain. Also they'll only replace it if it broke within the one year warranty; now I've had cables that have lasted four years+ without a problem, but I've had others that have fallen apart within two years, which is really annoying (primarily because it looks pants) and leaves me with no choice but to buy a new one, or use an ugly one patched up with tape. You can even look at some and know they're going to break - the outer layer seems loose, or is bundles up at the end because it's too long for the inside.

I don't see why you're being defensive on Apple's behalf - nobody's saying "Apple are a bunch of w*nkers, why can't they stop making ***** cables, b*stards", they're just pointing out a perceived issue; no harm in that.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
No. It has nothing to do with the fact that the cable in the article is a Lightning cable. A reversible Type A connector can be applied to any type of USB cable.

Hmm.

So you're saying that the following is possible:

1) chop one of these cables in half
2) and solder the Type A side to another cable or cabled device (something other than lightning devices - a wired keyboard will do)
3) should work fine 100% of insertion attempts

If not (and I suspect it would not and that 50% of the time it would not work), Apple is just taking advantage of the reversibility of lightning. It already solved that problem and can be first to market with this.

Assuming this is legit.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hmm.

So you're saying that the following is possible:

1) chop one of these cables in half
2) and solder the Type A side to another cable or cabled device (something other than lightning devices - a wired keyboard will do)
3) should work fine 100% of insertion attempts

Yes.

demure84

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
Awaits anxiously for Samsung to come out with their latest "The next big thing is here" installment bashing the new reversible USB cable then eventually copying the idea themselves.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
I don't see why you're being defensive on Apple's behalf - nobody's saying "Apple are a bunch of w*nkers, why can't they stop making ***** cables, b*stards", they're just pointing out a perceived issue; no harm in that.

Wellsaid.

I don't know why these fanbois are against the call for Apple to make a more durable cable. If It doesn't affect you guys, then stay out of the discussion.

Arguing with all affected by how a frayed cable is their fault, and Apple should do nothing about it shows the lengths you will go to defend your oh-so-precious company.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

Stop pulling out your cable by the cable itself! Always pull it out by the end connector. ;)

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
[/COLOR]
What is so wrong with that statement? Car manufactures don't like constant change! Everyone knows the technology in cars is usually two years behind the times. So it's a killer to find a car with a current lighting cable. Plus all those cars with standard USB ports are hit & miss and now Apple has a new USB connection.

The whole point of this is to introduce a means of being reversible with an existing standard. It's almost like you didn't read the submission.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I don't get the fuss about the current usb connector. People are too lazy to look at the two holes before plugging it in? I'm mean really, human beings are are getting lazier by the second.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
[/COLOR]

The whole point of this is to introduce a means of being reversible with an existing standard. It's almost like you didn't read the submission.

Your wrong. Take for pexample Volkswagen's you have to buy a cable and they still have proprietary 30 pin only cable. Plus Volkswagen isn't the only car manufacture that uses proprietary cables and have yet caught up with Apple's current Lightning Cable. Like I said before standard USB ports are very rare in cars! :eek:

----------

This doesn't change the connection port, it is only changing the USB end that plugs into your computer or wall charge.

Like I told other people USB ports in cars us STILL very rare! Even expensive cars use proprietor cables and yet have added the current Lighting Cable! Only the 30 pin iPod cables are available from car manufactures.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Your wrong. Take for pexample Volkswagen's you have to buy a cable and they still have proprietary 30 pin only cable. Plus Volkswagen isn't the only car manufacture that uses proprietary cables and have yet caught up with Apple's current Lightning Cable. Like I said before standard USB ports are very rare in cars! :eek:

----------

Like I told other people USB ports in cars us STILL very rare! Even expensive cars use proprietor cables and yet have added the current Lighting Cable! Only the 30 pin iPod cables are available from car manufactures.

He's not wrong.
If your car doesn't have a standard USB port then this new cable doesn't effect you in the slightest.
If your car does have a standard USB port then this new cable doesn't effect you in the slightest.
This new cable isn't going to have any impact at all upon car manufacturers.
The manufacturers that were planning on adding USB can still do so and the ones that weren't can't rightfully use this as an excuse because for all practical purposes it is still a standard USB 2.0 cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.