Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Vision Pro launched in the U.S. on Friday, and there are already several YouTube videos that demonstrate using the headset for remote work, gaming, in-flight entertainment, watching sports, and more. We have rounded up these videos below.

Vision-Pro-Airplane.jpeg

If you want to experience the Vision Pro for yourself, you can book an appointment for a free Vision Pro demo at any Apple Store in the U.S. on Apple's website. During the demo, which can take up to 30 minutes, you will learn how to navigate the visionOS operating system, and explore built-in apps such as Apple TV, Photos, and Safari.

Working at Home

Himels Tech demonstrated using the Vision Pro at home for work, entertainment, and more:

In the video, he walks around and shows off several visionOS app windows pinned at his desk, in the living room, and in the kitchen.

Vision Pro can be used as an external display for any Mac compatible with macOS Sonoma.

Gaming

Wynnsanity tested gaming on the Vision Pro:

Most controllers that are compatible with the iPhone or iPad also work with the Vision Pro, including wireless PlayStation and Xbox controllers.

Traveling on Airplane

Gravel took the Vision Pro on an airplane and used the headset as a virtual seat-back screen:

Vision Pro features a Travel Mode that adapts to the "unique motion and environment of commercial air travel" to give you the "best experience while traveling on an airplane," according to Apple. Travel Mode can be turned on in Control Center.

Apple says the Vision Pro should not be worn during taxiing, takeoff, and landing, and while a flight has turbulence. Apple also says to avoid looking out an airplane's windows, as this could affect the headset's ability to track your surroundings.

Watching Sports

In his excellent Vision Pro review last week, Brian Tong showed what it is like to use the NBA app:

With the NBA app and an NBA League Pass subscription, you can watch up to five basketball games live or on demand at once. You can also view real-time player stats, game scores, and other information at a glance.

In Public

Casey Neistat wore the Vision Pro on the New York City subway and at Times Square:

Many other YouTubers also used the Vision Pro in public.

Article Link: Videos: Apple Vision Pro Tested for Work, Gaming, Flying, and Sports

Last edited:

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
When the average middle class American is struggling to pay their bills I think this product segment might take along time to flesh out.
It’s not going to be like the iPhone or iPad. Those devices were easily accessible by the masses. But this one…. Nope.
You can’t use this headset when it’s night time. Tracking completely stops working. It has a two hour battery life and we’re starting to see morons driving with this on, walking around cities with this on.
It’s only a matter of days before this item is clean ripped off someone’s head and stollen.

It’s a cool product don’t get me wrong. But man is this not going to go the way Apple had planned. If anything it’s going to spark interest in the segment more and drive people to AFFORDABLE competing products.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
All the reporting on screen sizes, resolution, prescription lenses, and everything related to ergonomics has an unexpected side effect, making me hyper aware of those things. I‘m actually wearing my glasses to watch TV again, using my standing desk today for WFH, and paying a lot more attention to where the phycial items I use are placed around me.

Godspeed8230

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2021
When the average middle class American is struggling to pay their bills I think this product segment might take along time to flesh out.
It’s not going to be like the iPhone or iPad. Those devices were easily accessible by the masses. But this one…. Nope.
You can’t use this headset when it’s night time. Tracking completely stops working. It has a two hour battery life and we’re starting to see morons driving with this on, walking around cities with this on.
It’s only a matter of days before this item is clean ripped off someone’s head and stollen.

It’s a cool product don’t get me wrong. But man is this not going to go the way Apple had planned. If anything it’s going to spark interest in the segment more and drive people to AFFORDABLE competing products.
This is by far a complete and finished product - e.g. the separate battery pack. To me it looks like a beta version. People are paying a premium price to be guinea pigs for this product. I mean why not, if they can afford it and have fun with it.
But AVP will go through a lot of iterations until it is a product for the masses.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
The Casey Neistat video is a bit cringe at times, but I do find his 'profound moment' at the end of his video quite interesting. Where, after a while, everything 'clicks' and you almost forget that you're looking through a screen. It reminded me of the first time I wore my bi-focal glasses, lol. Initially, I was so aware of them and the way they made things distort at the edges. But, after a few days, I guess my brain compensated for all that and it all became normal!

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
This product could have been a world changer, but the price is just way too out of reach for normal people.
It depends on how you look at it. Hehe pun intended.
It’s cheaper than a MBP and a 4k LG TV. If you rarely watch tv socially with anyone else or travel a lot, the cost per use over time could be low.

You can make the same comparison of an iPhone 15 pro max and a $100 Android phone.:)

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
Anyone who wears one of these things while stakeboarding, scootering, cycling or even walking in traffic is either suicidal or a fool.

Remember Google Glass and how the antics and AV recording of others, usually without permission, earned wearers the moniker of glassholes? Suspecting we're going to need an equivalent term for Vision Pro wearers out in the wild.

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Working at Home

Himels Tech demonstrated using the Vision Pro at home for work, entertainment, and more:

In the video, he walks around and shows off several visionOS app windows pinned at his desk, in the living room, and in the kitchen.

Vision Pro can be used as an external display for any Mac compatible with macOS Sonoma.

I think this is one thing about Apple Vision Pro spatial computing that many people who say you can do the same on for example Quest 3 don't get: the screens you can place around your house that STAY at the location you set and are there waiting for you when you walk over to them.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
People scoffed at the original iPhone’s price, carrier cost, utility and battery life and it was released with a recession looming. You’ll be surprised what people do for things they want.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Same thing was said when the original iPod was announced. I suspect things will change.

Or the 1984 Mac with limited memory, a 7" screen, a small floppy disk, and no ability to attach a hard drive. For $2,495 ($7,300 in today's money).

Two years later the Mac Plus had more memory, a floppy disk with twice the capacity, and a SCSI port for attaching a hard drive.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Really promising and very interested to see where Apple takes this eventually… but lol at wearing this out in public. Zero interest until they can get this into a glasses form factor.

Reactions: Nica and crsh1976

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
This product could have been a world changer, but the price is just way too out of reach for normal people.
Kinda missing the big picture. That could also be said about

The first Mac $2500
The first iPod
The first iPhone.

Pretty sure they all went onto change the world. Why do you assume it will forever be priced at $3500. They will reduce the price with future versions just like they have with every other product.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The Casey Neistat video is a bit cringe at times, but I do find his 'profound moment' at the end of his video quite interesting. Where, after a while, everything 'clicks' and you almost forget that you're looking through a screen. It reminded me of the first time I wore my bi-focal glasses, lol. Initially, I was so aware of them and the way they made things distort at the edges. But, after a few days, I guess my brain compensated for all that and it all became normal!
How do you forget when you have that giant thing on your face? I am aware and don't forget when I wear 😎 or 🎧 or 🧢.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.