Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Yet Apple Vision Pro is the headset they aspire to have, making them potential future buyers.
At $3500 it won’t. Even at $1500.

Everyone wants a Mercedes but Kia and Hyundai sell more cars every year because they make cars that look act and operate like the over priced German variants

The sales of the Meta Quest 3 have already started exploding since the Vision Pro released

Reactions: lysingur and AeroEd

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Nothing revision one is ever a world changer.

I agree version 1 is always the first step, always a tad rough around the edges, but couldn't disagree with you more about world changing. To change the world you have to have that first step, that first vision and that is when the change starts. People argue the iPhone wasn't complete until version 4 (game changer), but it was version 1 that caused all the competition to scramble and either come out with their own version (Samsung) or lose market share (blackberry).

But not everyone is an early adopter and thats fine.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
Wearing goggles on your face is a different use case than other Apple products in the past so not comparable. Just because past products eventually sold well doesn’t mean this will. People are saying that to justify their purchase. I’m curious to see what happens before and up to the 16th when the first round of the return window happens and every day following will be another return window for somebody. Kuo and Gurman articles coming up soon to let us know about the return rate and such

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
The sales of the Meta Quest 3 have already started exploding since the Vision Pro released

That's cool for the headset market in general. I just hope they don't expect to get the same experience & capabilities as Apple Vision Pro and claim on these forums that they do.

Reactions: Gasu E.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

You mean talk about the potential for meta quest 3 sales to increase has already exploded, with people saying Meta might now actually ship as many as they projected. Because there are no actual sale numbers out this week for Meta Quest 3. But I get it, you are enthusiastic.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Or the 1984 Mac with limited memory, a 7" screen, a small floppy disk, and no ability to attach a hard drive. For $2,495 ($7,300 in today's money).

Two years later the Mac Plus had more memory, a floppy disk with twice the capacity, and a SCSI port for attaching a hard drive.

Yep even the 512 k Mac was better than version 1. Thats the way of things. Curious did you own the original 128? I did and I dont regret it for a moment. I did eventually upgrade to the plus, but the time between was a lot of fun times. I imagine it will be the same for me with the AVP.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I find these reviews interesting in a sense of what stupid things should I note do, or okay haven't had time to try that yet so it's interesting to see. The actual commentary sometimes leaves a lot to be desired and frankly I dont care if someone thinks they are affordable or not. They aren't. :)

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 16.15.50.png

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
It might be futile given the different price points, but perhaps MacRumors could do a comparison between Apple Vision Pro and Meta Quest 3 (which seems to pop up a lot as something perceived comparable) about what each of them can and cannot do and is and isn't.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Kinda missing the big picture. That could also be said about

The first Mac $2500
The first iPod
The first iPhone.

Pretty sure they all went onto change the world. Why do you assume it will forever be priced at $3500. They will reduce the price with future versions just like they have with every other product.

The problem is with this is just because they changed the world doesn't automatically mean this will.

I also disagree the iPod changed the world, it certainly changed Apple from one selling expensive, niche computers to one selling a highly desirable mass consumer device but at the end of the day it was a nice MP3 player. They existed before and they existed afterwards, and now the iPod is no more.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Yep even the 512 k Mac was better than version 1. Thats the way of things. Curious did you own the original 128? I did and I dont regret it for a moment. I did eventually upgrade to the plus, but the time between was a lot of fun times. I imagine it will be the same for me with the AVP.

I bought the Mac Plus (that was a lot of money for me, back then). And a 20 MB Supermac hard disk. A great setup for that period of time.

I used it for college, and for work. The lab that I worked in had an Apple Laserwriter. That, plus MacDraw for block diagrams and schematics, allowed me to print a very professional looking college thesis. I remember people asking me how I was able to produce that. :)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: gusmula

SoftyEng

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
Not being a sports fan but wouldn’t this be great sitting in arena and you can see the game live while have access to zoom in or add data over the view the wearer sees?

Totally, they could have so many cool interactive touches when you are at a sports game, a museum, a historical site… heck even in a movie theater or on amazon prime, seeing floating “xray” features off to the side, like cast or music in a scene, could be very cool.

I wont be buying this unless I get a new job this quarter (could happen), and even then I dont see too many use cases for me personally… but gd i want one to play around with it, and potentially start developing apps for it as well.

Cranslove

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
For an product that would be “revolutionary” and would be “insanely demanded”, Apple and all fora use a suspicious lot of advertising.

It’s almost as if this revolutionary thing, which already exists for servers years, is not that highly demanded after all.

I mean, i too can make something with very limited stock and than brag about how successful it is and that I sold out.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I bought the Mac Plus (that was a lot of money for me, back then). And a 20 MB Supermac hard disk. A great setup for that period of time.

I used it for college, and for work. The lab that I worked in had an Apple Laserwriter. That, plus MacDraw for block diagrams and schematics, allowed me to print a very professional looking college thesis. I remember people asking me how I was able to produce that. :)

I was a bit ahead of you in school, got my 128 through the school program (you may or may not recall there were 11 consortium schools that Apple hand picked for launch days so we not only got first look, we got 50% off) and wrote the first version of my pHD Thesis swapping floppy disks. I did mod the 128 into a 512 myself. Did love that SuperMac hard disk though when it came out.

But even the Mac Plus was laughed at during its day. Still had some rough edges :)

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I wouldn’t use this skateboarding but so far I am impressed and think it will make me more productive and enjoy my work more. The complaints most people worry about are less important than the real issues. The battery is really never an issue but you are aware of the FOV and that needs to get better. I didn’t ever get bothered by the weight but it has crashed for me 2x compared to other apple devices that is pretty often. The eye tracking is amazing but there can be misclicks. The Mac is screen mirroring but I could switch between Mac apps and it works amazing.

The theater viewing experience is surreal it’s so good.

Still would not take it skateboarding.

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I think this is one thing about Apple Vision Pro spatial computing that many people who say you can do the same on for example Quest 3 don't get: the screens you can place around your house that STAY at the location you set and are there waiting for you when you walk over to them.
I thought that was pretty cool as well. I was envisioning windows that have relative positions to the wearer, not pinned locations in the actual physical space. Neat!

dandy1117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
The problem is with this is just because they changed the world doesn't automatically mean this will.

I also disagree the iPod changed the world, it certainly changed Apple from one selling expensive, niche computers to one selling a highly desirable mass consumer device but at the end of the day it was a nice MP3 player. They existed before and they existed afterwards, and now the iPod is no more.
Counterpoint: The iPod, and associated iTunes Store, changed the entire music industry and, arguably, digital sales. The iTunes Store model is what underlies the App Store, which undeniably has changed the entire mobile computing landscape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.