Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What’s with all the cringy YouTube thumbnails?

“oMG iM sOo sHocKeD!!!”

Lots of potential but not many users are saying to buy this for almost four thousand dollars.

Very excited for the future iterations.
Until we get AR in the size of reading glasses I don’t see how this takes off. Even then it might not as not everyone wants to wear glasses. Heck even Tim Cook one said people only wear glasses because they have to. Of course that was right before Apple Watch do he was hyping the wrist and dissing glasses (really Google Glass).

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Still would not take it skateboarding.

agreed. Here is a short list of things I never plan to do with my APV. 1) Walk ANYWHERE in public. Walking in my house is fine. 2) eat with it at a restaurant. I have already enjoyed popcorn at home while watching a movie. 3) Wear it while anyone is having a long conversation with me (except maybe my in-laws). 4) Go skydiving with it on. 5) Ride the subway with it (too many people moving around), do plan to ride on a plane with it. 6) Go to church. That might be considered rude, but hey, I could put up my own religious depictions around me.

I am sure other things will occur to me.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I also disagree the iPod changed the world, it certainly changed Apple from one selling expensive, niche computers to one selling a highly desirable mass consumer device but at the end of the day it was a nice MP3 player. They existed before and they existed afterwards, and now the iPod is no more.

How is the first step in the evolution of Apple from a dying computer company into the number #1 company in the world not a big change?

Regardless. The iPod is still here. It's in the iPhone now. At least in spirit.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Kinda missing the big picture. That could also be said about

The first Mac $2500
The first iPod
The first iPhone.

Pretty sure they all went onto change the world. Why do you assume it will forever be priced at $3500. They will reduce the price with future versions just like they have with every other product.
I’m not sure this is the best comparison. iPhones cost way more now, iPods went above their launch price in a few iterations and i’ve never spent less than 2500 on a Mac. i guess i see your point in that these product prices shocked people at launch… but i feel instead of paying less it just became the new norm lol. I really hope that isn’t the case with the vision though. As much as i love mine I can’t afford a new $3500 device every few years lol

Allwrong

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2018
Ohio
Vision Pro cost how much? 🤯 Meanwhile over at Dior....

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 12.08.30 PM.png

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I was a bit ahead of you in school, got my 128 through the school program (you may or may not recall there were 11 consortium schools that Apple hand picked for launch days so we not only got first look, we got 50% off) and wrote the first version of my pHD Thesis swapping floppy disks. I did mod the 128 into a 512 myself. Did love that SuperMac hard disk though when it came out.

But even the Mac Plus was laughed at during its day. Still had some rough edges :)

Nice!

I do remember getting a bulk purchase discount through my company (who had a relationship with Apple), it may have been 20-25%. Still, even with that, the purchase was a good chunk of money back then - something I weighed very carefully. Overall I got a ton of use out of it.

Next purchase was a MacIIci. That was a huge upgrade. Though I'm not a software engineer, I wrote an RPN scientific calculator for it, needing one for the work I did. That was a lot of fun. Just wish I could use it today, but my calculator stopped being functional many OSs ago.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
How is the first step in the evolution of Apple from a dying computer company into the number #1 company in the world not a big change?

Regardless. The iPod is still here. It's in the iPhone now. At least in spirit.

I think that was a big change for Apple but it wasn't the profound change in how people live that the mouse/GUI-driven computer and the touch-driven smartphone were IMO.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I think that was a big change for Apple but it wasn't the profound change in how people live that the mouse/GUI-driven computer and the touch-driven smartphone were IMO.

Credit does need to be given to PARC (Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center) who developed that concept, which Jobs was able to witness first-hand during a tour of their lab. And to Doug Engelbart who invented the mouse while at SRI (Stanford Research Institute).

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Imagine if Vision Pro had to be tethered to a Mac. People would still be making these on the road videos, just lugging their laptop as well. The best part about this device is that it gives other companies who will get top tier content ant triple A games to create a better device. I'm looking at Microsoft and Sony to lead the way, followed by Meta and Steam once they copy enough elements to make theirs good enough at a much less ridiculous price point.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

well I apologize, maybe I came in the conversation halfway through, wasnt aware we were ranking these changes :)

I do agree from a mechanical standpoint, the Mac was years ahead in terms of change.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
People can claim people don’t have money all they want but these companies sell an absurd amount of ridiculously overpriced women’s handbags. One of my friends is into all that crap. She has belts that cost over $500 each. Blows my mind.

Weirdly female hostile comment.

There are lots of products that exceed the Vision in price to the point of absurdity. For example, Campfire Audio sells a universal in ear monitor (headphones) that cost $3,000. And that isn’t even the most expensive set. You can spend upwards of 5k on high end IEMs. And that’s just one example. If you want to talk about clothes, have a look at men’s clothes. Not the ones you buy at the Walmart. The ones you buy at real clothing stores. Men can and do spend many thousands of dollars on things like shoes, coats, wrist watches and so forth.

dylanwho

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
LA/PDX
When the average middle class American is struggling to pay their bills I think this product segment might take along time to flesh out.
It’s not going to be like the iPhone or iPad. Those devices were easily accessible by the masses. But this one…. Nope.
You can’t use this headset when it’s night time. Tracking completely stops working. It has a two hour battery life and we’re starting to see morons driving with this on, walking around cities with this on.
It’s only a matter of days before this item is clean ripped off someone’s head and stollen.

It’s a cool product don’t get me wrong. But man is this not going to go the way Apple had planned. If anything it’s going to spark interest in the segment more and drive people to AFFORDABLE competing products.
Interesting. I used it in complete darkness to watch a movie laying on my back while my wife slept. Hand controls still worked properly. I couldn't SEE my hands, but controls were flawless.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
People scoffed at the original iPhone’s price, carrier cost, utility and battery life and it was released with a recession looming. You’ll be surprised what people do for things they want.
People only scoffed at the price because the norm was to get a ~$200 or less phone on a carrier subsidy. "Smartphones" at the time (PocketPC's, etc.) were already $700, but almost no one paid that upfront.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
I showed my wife a few videos on the AVP, which she had not heard about previously. One was MKBHD’s review and the other was Casey’s video. My wife’s first comment - I want one. This is a woman who isn’t a techie, doesn’t work in tech, but sees the potential uses as being exciting. She thinks the same thing others have said - it’s the future of computing, even if today‘s version isn’t exactly a svelt device. I can see her wearing it for work, as she spends most days on video calls, while reviewing spreadsheets and presentations.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I showed my wife a few videos on the AVP, which she had not heard about previously. One was MKBHD’s review and the other was Casey’s video. My wife’s first comment - I want one. This is a woman who isn’t a techie, doesn’t work in tech, but sees the potential uses as being exciting. She thinks the same thing others have said - it’s the future of computing, even if today‘s version isn’t exactly a svelt device. I can see her wearing it for work, as she spends most days on video calls, while reviewing spreadsheets and presentations.

Excellent. It's very refreshing hearing stories like this about people with healthy imaginations and are able to easily come up with real world uses/applications.

Reactions: jmgregory1

RammyXX

Suspended
Nov 30, 2012
I see the appeal of walking around your home decorated with screens like shown in the first video. But I can't imagine doing it wearing a bulky headset. Vision Pro is a glimpse into the future, but I feel the technology just isn't there yet.

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
I thought that was pretty cool as well. I was envisioning windows that have relative positions to the wearer, not pinned locations in the actual physical space. Neat!
Yeah, that and the landscapes are neat.

I can't afford a VP, and with a bunch of small children in the house I wouldn't wear it around anyway, but the thing does do some cool stuff.

Maybe by the time I need reader glasses in a few years, these things will be smaller, less obvious, generally more refined, and...cheaper? :cool:

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
It’s a cool product don’t get me wrong. But man is this not going to go the way Apple had planned. If anything it’s going to spark interest in the segment more and drive people to AFFORDABLE competing products.
I disagree. This is going to go EXACTLY as Apple planned. The 1.0 was always intended to be the SHOW ME product that pointed where things were going. The key target buyer is developers. The 4.0 product will be the price of a MacBook Air, and everyone will want one.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
How do you forget when you have that giant thing on your face? I am aware and don't forget when I wear 😎 or 🎧 or 🧢.
Haha! Yeah - just repeating Mr. Neistat's observation from his video. I've never worn one so I wouldn't know but, knowing how the human brain works and adapts to things, I'm sure there's some element of that which happens. I'll pass on this first gen purely because I think it's too big and bulky, but will hopefully jump on board with gen 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.