Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
From The Verge. I think this says a lot:

“This is all well and good, but it’s strange to wear the headset and not actually know what’s happening on that front display — to not really have a sense of your appearance. And it’s even stranger that looking at people in the real world can cause them to appear, apparition-like, in the virtual world. The social cues of this thing are going to take a long while to sort out. Admittedly, it was all a whirlwind. I spent a half-hour like a kid gawping at an alien planet — even though I’d never left the couch. But by the end of my demo, I started to feel the weight of the headset bring me back to the real world. I’d been furrowing my brow, concentrating so hard, I felt the beginnings of a mild headache. That tension dissipated as soon as I took the headset off, but walking back out into Manhattan, I kept replaying the demo over in my head. I know what I just saw. I’m just still trying to see where it fits in the real world.”
Yes and no, when you get your demo you have some level of anxiety, you get exposed to many different “experiences” in a very short amount of time, so yes, I can see that and no, need a “review” of a “normal” workday where VPro is part of the workflow…

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Makes the Touch Bar seem incredibly clever.
A lot of people thought the touch bar was clever.
Including Dell, who are still trying to copy it.
I thought it was clever.
Then I actually used one and found out that it very much was not…

Actually, it would be clever if they re-introduced it, but kept the function keys as well, which was definitely the biggest complaint.
The fact that the touch bar *replaced* the function keys, instead of *augmenting* the function keys.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
...but it does address the complaints of @HobeSoundDarryl and others that we were going to get plastered with only-positive comments from the original bloggers.

Anybody who expects everything to be perfect in the first product iteration is living in a virtual fantasyland.

It isn’t a game of absolutes. No one is claiming it has to be perfect. The issue with Vision Pro is the myriad barriers to adoption it presents combined with the fact that it appears to suffer from most of the same niggling issues that other VR systems suffer from. Meanwhile, Apple has failed to present us with a compelling use case and isn’t even confident enough in the appearance of the device to show any of their executive team actually wearing one.

Of course no first series product is going to be the ultimate expression of that idea. But it darn well better point a BIG red arrow towards that idea or it will fall by the wayside with countless other well intentioned but poorly executed devices.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
"Immersive video was part of the demonstration, which Low said showed impressive levels of texture. Wollman felt immersed in the scene, but "also excluded" because it's lifelike, but no one in the immersive videos "sees you or interacts with you."

That was the most on brand absurd thing I have read from Engadget. Oh my goodness the amazing perspective to feel excluded from an immersive video. These reviewers are special.
Point totally flew over your head. You’re both inside of a moment and completely outside of it, creating a jarring sense of half-immersion. E.g. you can look out and see a lifelike 3D video of a person, hear their voice, etc. and that causes the natural human inclination to want to interact with them. But you can’t.. they’re not there. Would be especially emotionally conflicting if that person is a family member or friend of yours — you can only watch.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wow this really is just a glorified Quest headset. Sure it's absolutely the best headset out there, it still remains to be seen if it becomes the next "hit." It's interesting how I've pointed out comfort as a major gripe and instantly have the VP fanboys jump on me. Shame Apple didn't just go with AR glasses.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
"In the meantime, it’s harder to imagine using the Vision Pro for actual work. The Vision Pro feels much further along as a personal home theater."

Sounds like it will end up being a consumption device just like the iPad. It should be "spatial iPad" instead of "spatial computer".
I know people get all in a twist about this, but…
the iPad is a computer.
The iPad is not a Macintosh computer or a windows computer, but it is a computer.

But for some reason, a lot of people simply think computer means “includes Finder.app and terminal.app”.

One of the biggest selling points for computers, especially before the iPhone and iPad, was there consumption capabilities.
Anyone remember the iMac DV? You know, the iMac where it’s special feature, it’s main selling point, was that it could… Play DVDs?
Yeah, the majority of laptops, and desktops, and iPads, and iPhones are used for consumption. And they are all computers.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
The long and short of it is this: the hardware is objectionable, and is actually in the way of the software experience. If you want the software you have to tolerate the hardware. Not a single other Apple product falls even remotely into that description.

Most Apple hardware is a joy to use. This one is an obstacle.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Interesting that how Victoria Song “Felt the beginnings of a mild headache” was left out of this article. She only did a demo and that’s a result? Imagine prolonged use…

Go back and look at post #34 above yours. And some of the full reviews. One reviewer didn't want to ask the techs to adjust the headband because thought it might take "too long" to do the adjustments ( and possibly time-out of her allotted review time). [ Apple is going to have a problem though if 1,000's of folks buy this and slap on the wrong combination of bands and light shields ... "no directions needed, just slap it on your face and it just works..." isn't going to work well. Apple's 'no training necessary for our devices" stance (pff on good user manuals) is going to be a problem. Being "fussed over" in person at an Apple Store isn't going to scale well either. ]

In part, these folks are all trying to partially write the story they are required to write while they are wearing the headset. If they could move at their own pace on their own script they wouldn't have to instantly record in their head what they wanted to remember to write down later.

That said the folks on the forums claiming that they are going to wear the headset all work day long and can toss their Mac desktop display out the window because this is going to be a full time display. ... probably going to be disappointed.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
...but it does address the complaints of @HobeSoundDarryl and others that we were going to get plastered with only-positive comments from the original bloggers.

Anybody who expects everything to be perfect in the first product iteration is living in a virtual fantasyland.

What first product iteration? VR headsets have been around for years and years now and they have always been uncomfortable. Until technology catches up this ain't going to change.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Commenting on finding ways to innovate... while reading an article on a VR headset...?
What problem is the Vision Pro solving? What does it allow me to do that existing tech does not in order to really, truly make me more productive?

Pretty much nothing, that’s what.

Look up Clayton Christensen and the Jobs-To-Be-Done principle of product design. Vision Pro isn’t doing any new job, or any existing job better. It’s just putting the jobs in the air and giving you and different input system, and likely doing fewer jobs than other computers because Apple is too arrogant to put a proper OS in anything but a Mac.

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Why dont they just have the adjustable lens things you get with DSLR/mirroless EVFs? I thought that would be simpler than swapping out lenses. Plus, if anyone wants to try your vision pro and have glasses they aren’t going to be able to.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I know people get all in a twist about this, but…
the iPad is a computer.
The iPad is not a Macintosh computer or a windows computer, but it is a computer.

But for some reason, a lot of people simply think computer means “includes Finder.app and terminal.app”.

One of the biggest selling points for computers, especially before the iPhone and iPad, was there consumption capabilities.
Anyone remember the iMac DV? You know, the iMac where it’s special feature, it’s main selling point, was that it could… Play DVDs?
Yeah, the majority of laptops, and desktops, and iPads, and iPhones are used for consumption. And they are all computers.

Its not going to be a computer to me until I can actually use it as a computer and have the webcam not over on the side making it unusable.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
These “impressions” of reviewers in an Apple controlled environment are pretty useless. Yeah, we all realize the “gee whiz” factor on Vision Pros will be high. But reviewers will have to use these things for at least a week before we can get any decent insights. How does it work checking e-mail? How about writing in Pages? What about editing in Final Cut, or manipulating images in Photoshop? If the first owners aren’t using these things almost daily then they’re a bust. $3,500 cannot be justified by most for a toy with limited uses.

deepspacecowboy

Suspended
Jan 1, 2024
Joanna Stern's photo makes Vision Pro look rather...pedestrian. Apple's product shots make it look a bit sleeker, but that shot looks really dated, like something out of an 80s sci-fi movie. Looks aside, these reviews aren't particularly compelling. There's still no obvious utility beyond an amazing, solitary content consumption experience.

I'm really surprised that Apple isn't showing off some of their apps completely redesigned for this new 3D "spatial computing" paradigm. I'm actually quite shocked by this. Have they not redesigned their apps for this new paradigm? Are we just getting giant 2D windows floating in the air around us? That feels rather underwhelming. I expected Apple to blow my mind --- or at least get me excited --- by showing me a new way of interacting with the machine. What they've accomplished with gestures and eye tracking is no doubt impressive, but it also feels rather uninspired. Where's the UI where I reach out and grab something, where information is represented in a three dimensional way?

I'd love to be excited about Vision Pro, but I'm not. I'm sure it's an amazing movie screen, but the rest of it feels disappointing. It's a mix of giant iPad windows floating around the room and parlor tricks like the apparition effect.

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
So how many years away are we still from an AR/VR headset being just a great pair of glasses?

-10… Ironic that people were bemoaning the high price ($1500) and clunky design back then.

Google-Glasses.jpg

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Not a single other Apple product falls even remotely into that description
i’d argue AirPods Max, which have the amazing software integration AirPods are known for, but have sound quality that doesn’t rise very high above the current AirPods Pro, and a design that is either “ the most comfortable headphones i’ve ever used” or, what I found in my experience, are extremely uncomfortable after 30 minutes because they’re made out ofmetal and weigh 400G.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
What problem is the Vision Pro solving? What does it allow me to do that existing tech does not in order to really, truly make me more productive?

Pretty much nothing, that’s what.

Look up Clayton Christensen and the Jobs-To-Be-Done principle of product design. Vision Pro isn’t doing any new job, or any existing job better. It’s just putting the jobs in the air and giving you and different input system, and likely doing fewer jobs than other computers because Apple is too arrogant to put a proper OS in anything but a Mac.
We don't know what jobs it isn't capable of doing yet, asides from games, which has been proven to be possible with other headsets. It's probably also worth pointing out that if we don't know what its capabilities and restrictions are, we can't really say for sure if it will be innovative or not. This one is self-contained, so that's a step up from headsets that require setup like base stations, and making VR more viable as a product rather than a niche hobby.

I can think of ways my workflow would be improved, like being able to see 3D work in actual 3D, or not being restricted to physical computer screen dimensions. It won't do everything I need; I have an iPad for drawing, which it handles better than my Macbook while also being much more portable, but it can't replace my Macbook for general stuff and going beyond what the vanilla OS can do. But it's still very important to my workflow despite its limits or any lack of "innovation"

It sounds like what you want won't satisfy you unless it conforms to a traditional desktop anyways, in which case I'd say VR, not just the Vision, isn't for you.

Last edited:

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Point totally flew over your head. You’re both inside of a moment and completely outside of it, creating a jarring sense of half-immersion. E.g. you can look out and see a lifelike 3D video of a person, hear their voice, etc. and that causes the natural human inclination to want to interact with them. But you can’t.. they’re not there. Would be especially emotionally conflicting if that person is a family member or friend of yours — you can only watch.
No because I have seen a movie, watched a video from family, etc. I know what you are saying and I know what she was trying to say. It's just...very silly. But yes if you think the AVP is a holodeck then you will feel excluded. For those of us that dont expect to be included in videos it will feel as expected.

Reactions: jmpstar and farmboy

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I'm already bored with this thing.
Yeah we’ve done this song and dance before. Apple will spend years tweaking their first party apps while not listening to customers so every update will just be a bug fix or something they promised on release but didn’t deliver.

Apple will urge 3rd party developers to create apps and you might get one or two “big” programs but most will be gimmicky or bad ports and cost a lot to pay for their development. Eventually 3rd parties will realize there’s no money in it and if Apple can’t get it right with their apps how can they.

AVP will not go away I’m sure but the honeymoon phase will wear off fast and will sit in someone’s drawer within 6 months. Basically the next iPad without the foundation of iOS to rely on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.