Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will soon release the first major software update for the Vision Pro, and the new version of visionOS will bring improvements not only to Personas, but also to the EyeSight feature.

Apple-WWCD23-Vision-Pro-EyeSight-230605.jpg

Personas and EyeSight are Vision Pro additions that many people have poked fun at since the headset's release. Personas are a digital representation of the user that's shown in video calls, while EyeSight uses an external display to show the Vision Pro wearer's eyes if there are other people in the room. Personas and EyeSight are aimed at making the Vision Pro less of an isolating experience, but neither has been particularly well-received.

As we've previously shared, the visionOS 1.1 beta makes Personas look more realistic, and Apple's release notes provided with the visionOS 1.1 release candidate offer more insight. Specific improvements have been made to hair and makeup appearance and neck and mouth representation, and these tweaks make a big difference.

The update also apparently improves rendering of the eyes for EyeSight, which isn't something that was previously noticed during the beta testing period. EyeSight draws on the Persona feature to capture a person's eyes to show on the external display. Presumably the EyeSight feature now looks somewhat better on the Vision Pro headset, but that it's gone so under the radar suggests Apple still has more work to do.

Other new features in the update include improvements for the virtual keyboard and the Mac virtual display.

visionOS 1.1 will be officially released as soon as this week.

Article Link: Vision Pro Personas and EyeSight Improving With visionOS 1.1

FlimFlamDude

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
Dan don't you worry! You look great. The stupid thing is making you look 50 pounds heavier because of some weird shadows or whatever the AVP can't quite handle, but hey ya gotta appreciate how incredible this tech is. Just a quick scan of your face and we're CGI characters. It's pretty awesome. I think for FaceTime calls or Zoom or anything else, this is what we're gonna be stuck with. Can't use an external camera. I wish we could just dial down the size of our face and tweak our features a little! Is that so much to ask, Apple?

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
This has been a laughable disaster since day one. Cracks, buggy software....typical of a Tim Cook Product

Cracks reported by an incredibly small number of users when compared to the estimated overall device sales so far, generation one software bugs that Apple has been fairly quick to address producing 3 non-beta releases of visionOS so far with v1.1 about a week out (which also fixes bugs while making some noticeable improvement to two areas that were rightfully criticized in the persona and eye sight features and which adds additional functionality on top of that as well for those needing to manage a large number of devices).

What exactly did you expect with the initial release of the product? Perfection on both the production line and in the software it ships with right out of the gate? If so you’re barking up the wrong tree with just about any product breaking the kind of new ground and introducing a paradigm shift for a company in the way that the VisionPro is for Apple. For their first stab at an immersive AR/VR device and OS I’d say they’ve done a good job so far assuming we’re going to see additional improvements in visionOS v2.0 that will debut at WWDC.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I don't know why people seem to react as though this is news every time an Apple product follows the rapid iteration component of the Lean Startup model.

I have no dog in this hunt. VR/AR/MR is still fifty years away from where I'd have any desire to use it. But it gets frustrating reading the same old thing over and over again. Come on, fellas. There's more useful discourse to be had than the 9,000,000th iteration of "No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame."

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I wish we could just dial down the size of our face and tweak our features a little! Is that so much to ask, Apple?
I think that might happen, but I think it could also be a slippery slope. Eventually there would be a lot of Persona catfishing lol.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Cracks reported by an incredibly small number of users when compared to the estimated overall device sales so far, generation one software bugs that Apple has been fairly quick to address producing 3 non-beta releases of visionOS so far with v1.1 about a week out (which also fixes bugs while making some noticeable improvement to two areas that were rightfully criticized in the persona and eye sight features and which adds additional functionality on top of that as well for those needing to manage a large number of devices).

What exactly did you expect with the initial release of the product? Perfection on both the production line and in the software it ships with right out of the gate? If so you’re barking up the wrong tree with just about any product breaking the kind of new ground and introducing a paradigm shift for a company in the way that the VisionPro is for Apple. For their first stab at an immersive AR/VR device and OS I’d say they’ve done a good job so far assuming we’re going to see additional improvements in visionOS v2.0 that will debut at WWDC.
I certainly expect FAR better for a nearly $4k product

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
1709598071256.jpeg

This image for this product triggers a visceral, almost disgusted reaction in me. It's unprecedented in Apple's lineup, strikingly odd and inhuman. It's shocking that such an image comes from the world's top marketing department and not from a horror-themed episode of Black Mirror.

notai

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
have not enabled personas and prolly never will or care about the fake eye thing. weird. wish they would get some more immersive content out soon and improve navigation/interactions.

Reactions: lovehateapple

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
View attachment 2355521
This image for this product triggers a visceral, almost disgusted reaction in me. It's unprecedented in Apple's lineup, strikingly odd and inhuman. It's shocking that such an image comes from the world's top marketing department and not from a horror-themed episode of Black Mirror.
The reality is, it’s some fat bloke in a basement with IP addresses crawling all over his bank of monitors in the background. I’ve seen the movie Surrogates!

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015

Apple will soon release the first major software update for the Vision Pro, and the new version of visionOS will bring improvements not only to Personas, but also to the EyeSight feature.

Apple-WWCD23-Vision-Pro-EyeSight-230605.jpg

Personas and EyeSight are Vision Pro additions that many people have poked fun at since the headset's release. Personas are a digital representation of the user that's shown in video calls, while EyeSight uses an external display to show the Vision Pro wearer's eyes if there are other people in the room. Personas and EyeSight are aimed at making the Vision Pro less of an isolating experience, but neither has been particularly well-received.

As we've previously shared, the visionOS 1.1 beta makes Personas look more realistic, and Apple's release notes provided with the visionOS 1.1 release candidate offer more insight. Specific improvements have been made to hair and makeup appearance and neck and mouth representation, and these tweaks make a big difference.

The update also apparently improves rendering of the eyes for EyeSight, which isn't something that was previously noticed during the beta testing period. EyeSight draws on the Persona feature to capture a person's eyes to show on the external display. Presumably the EyeSight feature now looks somewhat better on the Vision Pro headset, but that it's gone so under the radar suggests Apple still has more work to do.

Other new features in the update include improvements for the virtual keyboard and the Mac virtual display.

visionOS 1.1 will be officially released as soon as this week.

Article Link: Vision Pro Personas and EyeSight Improving With visionOS 1.1
Are people still using AVP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.