Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
too bad eyesight has nothing to do with improving the wearers vision
it would be cool if vison pro did have capability to improve wearers actual vision

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
too bad eyesight has nothing to do with improving the wearers vision
it would be cool if vison pro did have capability to improve wearers actual vision
Apple wants Vision Pro to be something you can wear around other people. You can see them and they can see you (your eyes) when you're seeing them. The better Apple can make this feature, the more acceptable it will be to wear headsets. I know there are people who think looking like a three-eyed robot is actually better and that it's nobody's business if you're looking at them while you're talking to them, but it's the direction Apple chose to go.

The wearer's vision is probably limited by the hardware (cameras) in the headset. Vision Pro's passthrough is better than the others, but it definitely has room for improvement. When AVP 2 comes out (whenever) the passthrough will be so good that AVP 1's passthrough will make your eyes bleed.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
VP is one of those things where people who don't want it feel compelled to post how much they don't want it. They gleefully reach for anything to be an indication that the product is a failure. Like they feel personally insulted by an inanimate object.
Honestly most new Apple products (or tech products in general really) suffer from that.

People thought the iPad was nothing more than a giant phone and cheered for its “inevitable” failure from day one. I distinctly remember this forum flooded with people declaring the Apple Watch a flop a decade ago (although the watchOS 1 software was pretty abysmal back then). AirPods? Overpriced garbage that looks hideous in your ears and everyone will lose them on day one. Even if you go back to the AirTags launch, you’ll see posters who were irrationally *angry* over the launch of an item finder and were deeply offended that Apple dared release such a product that insulted their eyeballs.

I used to say “nobody hates Apple products more than Apple fans” and this website certainly makes a case for that statement!

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I read this story because I have a Vision Pro and am understandably interested in the next software release. I’m surprised to see the posts from people who don’t own one or have no intention of buying one.

For people that like to jump on how silly wearers of the AVP look, the haters don't seem to care how silly they look for jumping in to any AVP discussion to repeat the same old things. It is what it is. I do keep reading for the informed with something new to say.

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
Memoji should be a perfect fit for the AVP: they aren't creepy, and they're easy to do. They could be made automatically and then easily tweaked by the user; many people spent a bit of time making their Memojis on their iPhones in the first place.
They are creepy and campy. Very lame. Also, the only people I know that use them are my elderly in-laws.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Honestly most new Apple products (or tech products in general really) suffer from that.

People thought the iPad was nothing more than a giant phone and cheered for its “inevitable” failure from day one. I distinctly remember this forum flooded with people declaring the Apple Watch a flop a decade ago (although the watchOS 1 software was pretty abysmal back then). AirPods? Overpriced garbage that looks hideous in your ears and everyone will lose them on day one. Even if you go back to the AirTags launch, you’ll see posters who were irrationally *angry* over the launch of an item finder and were deeply offended that Apple dared release such a product that insulted their eyeballs.

I used to say “nobody hates Apple products more than Apple fans” and this website certainly makes a case for that statement!
That actually helps put things in context. Good observation!

I grew up hearing stories from my parents about what life was like when they were young. Never were they bitter. It was never intended as a lecture. They just shared to put things in perspective. So somehow I developed the joke with them about how hard I‘ve had it. Like my computer only had 4K of memory. Or my MTV wasn’t in stereo. Or I had to bring in trash cans once a week. So as an adult I still remember that my Dad used to study by lantern light. My Mom was forbidden by her father to do homework. If the Persona on my Vision Pro looks a bit creepy, it reminds me of something I might have joke complained about with my parents. But that’s just me. People pay a lot for products and have certain expectations.

Reactions: gusmula

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
That’s fair but I’m curious is he exaggerating how bad the gameplay is?

Jump to 6:30

He doesn’t seem to have spent any real time actually using the AVP beyond what it took to set it up. He’s making silly comparisons just for the “likes” from what I can tell. One quick comparison he makes is multiple monitors @ work, but he doesn’t mention AVP has 3D apps you can manipulate and it will all travel with you on a plane... in Fruit Ninja he's making wild movements outside of where the AVP follows hands and complaining that the AVP can’t keep up. Fruit Ninja works great & is fun after a months usage, 3 to 7 hours a day. I’m not getting paid to say I love my AVP. That guy is getting paid to pander to AVP haters. 🤷

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
He doesn’t seem to have spent any real time actually using the AVP beyond what it took to set it up. He’s making silly comparisons just for the “likes” from what I can tell. One quick comparison he makes is multiple monitors @ work, but he doesn’t mention AVP has 3D apps you can manipulate and it will all travel with you on a plane... in Fruit Ninja he's making wild movements outside of where the AVP follows hands and complaining that the AVP can’t keep up. Fruit Ninja works great & is fun after a months usage, 3 to 7 hours a day. I’m not getting paid to say I love my AVP. That guy is getting paid to pander to AVP haters. 🤷
Always good to have another perspective.

Reactions: SFjohn

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
AVP is probably the reason why Memojis exist: I am sure they were Apple's plan for video conferencing. And then Apple noticed (thought) that they can do better - simulate photorealistic humans.
"Apple noticed that they" could try to "do better" but clearly aren't there yet.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
wonderful. why not start a thread about all the design flaws you have personal experience with. this thread is about visionOS.
This is a news thread, not VisionOS itself. I guess you never tried it in person.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
This is a news thread, not VisionOS itself. I guess you never tried it in person.

Tried what?

Read the title?

Vision Pro Personas and EyeSight Improving With visionOS 1.1​

Why yes I have thanks. Or did you mean try an AVP? Have to admit I’ve never been in for a demo. I own one. Hence why I read the article and looked to the comments for on topic discussion. It’s in the rules.

• Disagree
Reactions: sunny5

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Tried what?

Read the title?

Vision Pro Personas and EyeSight Improving With visionOS 1.1​

Why yes I have thanks. Or did you mean try an AVP? Have to admit I’ve never been in for a demo. I own one. Hence why I read the article and looked to the comments for on topic discussion. It’s in the rules.
And I said, those improvements are useless as it's a hardware's problem, not a software. Eyesight, can NOT be improve because of the panel they used. Do you still not get it?

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
And I said, those improvements are useless as it's a hardware's problem, not a software. Eyesight, can NOT be improve because of the panel they used. Do you still not get it?

have you ever seen one personally? After visionOS1.1. Beta is fine If that’s what you’ve seen. It’s what I run. my family says eyesight works fine. But okay it’s hardware.

• Disagree
Reactions: sunny5

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
have you ever seen one personally? After visionOS1.1. Beta is fine If that’s what you’ve seen. It’s what I run. my family says eyesight works fine. But okay it’s hardware.
Oh yes, I even owned it before. Eyesight doesn't really serve its purpose and it's just a waste of hardware by putting a screen and glass in front of it. What do you even get from it when others only see your eyes or colors? It's just a useless feature.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Oh yes, I even owned it before. Eyesight doesn't really serve its purpose and it's just a waste of hardware by putting a screen and glass in front of it. What do you even get from it when others only see your eyes or colors? It's just a useless feature.

Look even before the AVP was released you were putting down the front screen… so at least you are consistent.

Jan 20 “Clearly, I dont see the point of adding a front display and glass for Vision Pro. They just adding more front weights while it barely serves its purpose.”

But okay, I disagree. It’s miles ahead of its competitors with nothing at all but a blank wall.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Look even before the AVP was released you were putting down the front screen… so at least you are consistent.

Jan 20 “Clearly, I dont see the point of adding a front display and glass for Vision Pro. They just adding more front weights while it barely serves its purpose.”

But okay, I disagree. It’s miles ahead of its competitors with nothing at all but a blank wall.
You just proven my point. Why do you keep ignoring the fact for? What a waste of time.

• Disagree
Reactions: G5isAlive

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Eyesight is not great, but is allows me to keep the headset on for short interactions with people around me: like getting a cup of coffee and exchanging a couple of words.

Eyesight is not meant to be a clear view to your eyes. It is meant to be an indication to others that you hear and see them.

For that purpose, it is a minimum viable implementation.

No one else has anything like that.

Silverado

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
View attachment 2355521
This image for this product triggers a visceral, almost disgusted reaction in me. It's unprecedented in Apple's lineup, strikingly odd and inhuman. It's shocking that such an image comes from the world's top marketing department and not from a horror-themed episode of Black Mirror.
I hear you, but I feel that yours is simply a general reaction to VR/AR. Apple is entering this realm big time. You may disagree with the technology direction, but it is happening whether you like it or not.

FWIW, I had a similar reaction when the product was announced, even though it was clear that it was going to be a technological marvel. I now own one and use it waaay too often. My family are okay with it, especially that they can see a representation of my eyes. I would argue that a smart phone that you stare down at is more isolating from the environment than the Vision Pro, where you’re looking up and can see people and interact with them. YMMV.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

Silverado

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I think it’s an extremely important feature and allows a meaningful connection with those around you. Yes, it looks so weird at first, but people get used to it and it is so important to not make you isolated from those around you.

Remember when people made SO much fun AirPods because they didn’t have wires? They thought they looked SO dumb. (Like having wires dangling from your ears looks better lol). It’s just what people are used to.

IMO, Apple has again made history. EyeSight, not to mention the Vision Pro itself, are destined to become technology legends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.