Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
just remember this guys.....if you post this same question on a Windows forum, OSX will be torn to shreds and the only plus point worth mentioning would be that its spyware and virus free as well as the hardware looks cooler.

so for all you guys that are getting a swollen head thinking OSX is superior needs to realize that there are Vista lovers out there too.

its all personal preference.

i have had OSX hang on me more times in one week than Vista in one whole month.

again i like choice and and that is why i like Vista better than OSX.

and i also did the Vista Beta certification exam which introduced alot of hidden Vista features which i can't really discuss cause it may not be the same in the release version.

OSX doesn't just work.......it too has tons of flaws.

I don't believe that for a second! Most Windows users think that OS X is much better, the hardware though is expensive. They also don't want to be bound to one hardware manufacter, so Windows is their only choice!
Most of them would love to have MAC OS run on their custom made system!

I am a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, I worked for Microsoft and I specialize in infrastructure solutions. I meet lots of customers every day, I don't remember anyone being happy with the client OS (XP)
Sometimes I bring my Macbook Pro to them and when they see the OS...they just want it!

Windows has many advantages: You can find anything you can imagine. With the Mac that is certainly not the case. Buying hardware for a PC is also easier. The ability to have your own custom made PC that will work with Vista or XP makes Windows unique.
Microsoft has invested a lot of energy making Windows work with all possible hardware configurations and thats why Windows isn't so stable as MAC OS X. This is normal and it won't change.

As long as MAC OS runs on Apple hardware only, Microsoft will have 90% market share. Just don't tell me that Windows is better!

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
That unaffects me personally because I don't use personal finance managers. If it's really that bad, don't use it. Simple as that.

So you mean just stop managing my finances? No, Windows does it way better so I'm forced to use Windows. It's a shame but it's true.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Use Crossover? Parallels?

Parallels is really good! If you don't have a graphic intensive application, you will find out that you won't need a separate PC for your Windows applications! The latest version features Windows coherence, just try it and you won't be disappointed!

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Parallels is really good! If you don't have a graphic intensive application, you will find out that you won't need a separate PC for your Windows applications! The latest version features Windows coherence, just try it and you won't be disappointed!

Now if they get it to use the graphics card directly there won't be the need to get Windows ever for the regular user.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
just remember this guys.....if you post this same question on a Windows forum, ...

its all personal preference.

and i also did the Vista Beta certification exam which introduced alot of hidden Vista features which i can't really discuss cause it may not be the same in the release version.

OSX doesn't just work.......it too has tons of flaws.

Wow, then I guess YOU are in the wrong forum. Go to vistarumors.com.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I never ran a Firewall or a Virus scanner or anything and never got a single virus. And my computer was always secure.
Very cool. Mind if I send my parents and little brothers over for you to train? I've given up on them. Like you, I've never had a single issue with Windows viruses or spyware, but everywhere I turn, there are Windows boxes dorked beyond belief, which leads me to believe that most Windows people aren't having the same experience we are.

3rd party applications is what its all about....... with windows there are tons of choices but with OSX there are only a few. more like 1:5 or less.
What I like about OS X 3rd-party apps is that you don't have to filter thru crap applications after crap application to find what you're looking for.

I've never had an issue finding a 3rd-party app for OS X. They almost always are freeware/shareware and end up looking and working like a retail Windows application.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Just received this newsletter WININFO Update:

==== IN THE NEWS ================================

Microsoft Touts Vista's Economic Impact

by Paul Thurrott, thurrott@windowsitpro.com

According to a new IDC report commissioned by Microsoft, Windows Vista
will generate more than $70 billion in revenues for Microsoft's US-
based partners in its first year of availability alone. IDC said that
for every dollar Microsoft earns on Vista in 2007, the IT industry
will earn $18. Vista will also be responsible for 100,000 new jobs in
the United States in 2007.

"It's surprising how extensively Microsoft software ripples out
through the ecosystem," said IDC's Chief Research Officer and Senior
Vice President John Gantz, who cowrote the Microsoft report. "Our
research indicates that Windows Vista will infuse new energy into the
market in its first 12 months of availability, driving important job
and economic growth through new industry revenues."

According to IDC, Microsoft will see revenue increases of about $3.9
billion in 2007 because of Vista. Enterprises and other IT firms are
expected to invest approximately $10 billion in 2007 for Vista and
related products and services.

IDC also said that Microsoft should sell at least 90 million copies of
Vista in 2007, which is more than the 67 million copies of Windows XP
that sold during XP's first year. Vista sales will go only up after
the first year: IDC expects Microsoft to sell more than 150 million
copies of Vista in 2008 (including 35 million copies in the United
States alone), 170 million in 2009, and more than 200 million in 2010.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
they both have their plus and minuses but seriously Vista is amazing if you know how to work with it.
If you're the type of person thats already taking Vista certification exams, then you're using this new OS from a perspective that 99% of the rest of the world isn't going to understand. :cool:

On the flipside, my guess is that it's going to be very hard for you to understand how "mere mortals" see (and feel about) Vista. :eek:

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Good for Vista creating jobs. I think that's fantastic. If anything, ****ed up software needs people to fix it. Microsoft has a daunting task to develop a system that is compatible with thousands of different types of hardware, and it's developers should be praised for their effort.

As an experienced windows user, XP has served me well. I'm sure Vista will be even better. But we're experienced computer users. We know how to protect ourselves from viruses and spyware, and how to troubleshoot the system. Most people don't. A windows computer connected to the internet is like telling your teenage son to take out the trash. The can gets filled with crap and it's never taken to the curb.

In the past year since I've switched, OS X has shown me that a computer wasn't meant to be worked on, but meant to be worked with. It's got power under the hood for experienced users to be extremely productive, and a glossy push-button get-it-done finish for non-computer nerds. UNIX is truly a multi user system with a logical interface. Microsoft cannot offer that kind of experience. Everything is all over the damn place in Windows.

I've made an open-minded decision to switch later on in life. I've never grown up with macs. As a long time computer user, it is obvious that OS X is just more stable. Running on its own hardware allows you to be far more productive, and spend less time fussing with Windows problems.

By the way, is it true that Windows Vista doesn't have an iMovie equivalent in its basic or premium edition?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Wow things got out of control fast, why do people say Vista is just a better looking XP? On my old Pentium 4, crap 9600SE based machine Vista runs better than XP (yes even with Aero) and I've tweaked the hell out of my XP installation for speed, on my Mac Pro, Vista is ridiculously fast and much better optimized than XP.

And did not everyone see all the new features that were introduced? Some of them highlighted in my original post? There's plenty of new features and some of them are very nice, I liked XP and Vista is an all around nice upgrade for me, now I don't feel as ackward going from OSX and back to Windows, Aero is very nice, Vista is a great OS and very secure as well, XP was already pretty bombproof (and I do mean bombproof) if you downloaded a few apps, configured them right and used a little common sense when browsing the net, for Vista, well, all I had to do is install my own anti virus, Avast, which requires zero configuration and that was it, it took me about 10 minutes, including the amount of time it took Avast to download with my crappy connection.

I'm liking it, sure its expensive, but OSX is expensive too (whats up with having to shell out 150$ every year for the next version of OSX). I don't have much else to say, just like XP, I'll be using Vista 90% of the time versus 10% I'll be using OSX, why? Because I have to so even if OSX beats the crap out of Vista, people who have to use Windows most of the time will be pretty pleased with Vista, at least I was. Can't wait for Leopard though.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
I don't believe that for a second! Most Windows users think that OS X is much better, the hardware though is expensive. They also don't want to be bound to one hardware manufacter, so Windows is their only choice!
Most of them would love to have MAC OS run on their custom made system!

they love the idea of a MAC and how purdy it is. but the minute they use it they are like wtf, unless they actually take the time to learn it they will not appreciate it over XP however much they loath XP.

and OSX does not do everything the same or better than Windows. it may do it just as good but not better.

and FYI the average person only uses 11% of whats integrated within XP which is 90+% of the windows users out there and so they do not know its capabilities. and i it would probably be the same for Vista as well.

i like OSX but it is definitely not as flexible as Windows in any shape or form except that the hardware looks cool.....

even Steve Jobs realized that he needs to make his hardware x86 compatible so it can run Windows as well or he would have been eaten up by MS when Vista comes out.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I've never liked Vista. Longhorn on the other hand looked awesome. Too bad they couldn't get Vista to look like the concept.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
i like OSX but it is definitely not as flexible as Windows in any shape or form except that the hardware looks cool.....

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'd love to hear you elaborate on this one. My biggest complaint about Windows is its complete inflexibility.

My guess is our definition of "flexibility" in an OS is very, very, different.

Windows doesn't have any built-in scripting.
Windows has a very week set of command line tools
Windows has very little as far as open source tools to build and customize
Windows doesn't even come with a @#$*(# compiler.

But you sure can put purdy themes on it that do nothing for its usability.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
XP works fine. Why should I go out and spend god knows how much money on an OS which might be more stable and have a nicer interface but costs sheds loads of cash for very little real gain.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
XP works fine. Why should I go out and spend god knows how much money on an OS which might be more stable and have a nicer interface but costs sheds loads of cash for very little real gain.

I agree, but hey, eventually you just have to switch, the sooner I do so the better, I however have not abandoned XP yet, just doesn't seem like a wise decision. I spend a LOT of time in the computer and the more things I can do to do the experience more pleasant, the better.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That's a point that Paul Thurrot brought up on his last Windows Weekly podcast. It's pretty hard to think of a good "generic" reason to recommend to someone for why they should upgrade to Vista, esp. for people not having a problem with XP.

He guessed that the vast majority of Vista installs for 2007 are going to be the ones that come preinstalled (by default) on new computers, not people going out and purchasing an upgrade.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'd love to hear you elaborate on this one. My biggest complaint about Windows is its complete inflexibility.

My guess is our definition of "flexibility" in an OS is very, very, different.

Windows doesn't have any built-in scripting.
Windows has a very week set of command line tools
Windows has very little as far as open source tools to build and customize
Windows doesn't even come with a @#$*(# compiler.

back to the point where i mentioned that Windows users only use 11-13% of what is integrated in the OS.

http://infosecuritymag.techtarget.com/2002/feb/features_scripting.shtml

you may be a power MAC user, but you seem to be comparing yourself to a basic Windows user just to make your e-penis look bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.