vista ultimate better- reason for leopard delay

Discussion in 'macOS' started by astranovus, May 13, 2007.

1. astranovus macrumors newbie

hi,

((flame-suit protect-mode on :)))

i am one of the few converters, away from mac osx to vista ultimate,

contrary to all rumors i haven't had a single glitch under vista, drivers, kernel panics, system crashes ....

for me personally vista ultimate is faster, more stable and the eye candy is better than tiger,

could it be that leopard was delayed bacause vista is actually a decent system?

any comments welcomed

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Both systems have their merits. Use the one you personally prefer, no point in threads like this.

3. astranovus thread starter macrumors newbie

my point was, whether vista is partly responsible for the leopard delay

4. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Actually, the reason for Leopard's delay is the new tele-transporter software. Apple has breakthrough technology to zoom people through the internet tubes to anywhere in the world now.:cool:

5. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Having just started using Mac Office 2004, I can start to accept why MS should be allowed to carry on existing. In fact it is a great piece of software (especially compared to Office v.X), and maybe they are not headed in the totally wrong direction (something that I have thought for a long time now). However, at the moment I think that MS just does not put itself across as a company that wants to be part of an integrated tech community. It appears to want all the profits it can get and not really work to achieve the progress it flaunts in front of our eyes in the guise of vaporware. (Is Live Search for real? Its results are less than pitiful. And granted MS Satellite Mapping is better quality than Google, but accessing it on a Mac is a dog. They just don't seem interested in technologies that work.)

Finally, when I by a tech product, which is a big investment for me, I think of the purchase as an investment in the company that produced it. I like to buy from companies that have invested in good technologies, moved things on and will continue to do so in the future, and also provide kit that should last longer and work better than generic alternatives. I therefore like to buy products by companies like Apple, Iomega, LaCie and Belkin, and make a point of doing so whenever possible, even if it means saving up and waiting longer. I buy from MS, however, because I have to for the work I do and ever since Office v.X I have begrudged them every penny, and every penny that I have to spend making myself compatible with them across platforms. But as I said I have come to appreciate Office 2004. Unfortunately because they are dropping VB in the next Mac release I will not be buying the update, and had they not done this I would be hoping that MS could carry this product forward to great things. However, once again they have lost my trust and interest (goodwill I think they call it in the business community). Whereas I have a trust in Apple (and the Apple Community) that they will find a way around the VB issue and integrate a technology into Leopard to prevent its users being faced with one big fat headache, because that is the kind of thing they do and why I stick with them.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I doubt it. Apple probably had access to the Vista beta builds and had information about it long before it was released. The same is probably true of Microsoft and Leopard. Do you think that either company would not invest in full developer subscriptions to the other?

7. juanm macrumors 65816

... and industrial espionage. :cool:

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I doubt it. Anything Apple's doing on Leopard now is making sure everything works and there are no issues that need addressing. You're not going to be able to drastically change your operating system in 3 months and have it work the way it should.

9. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I think you're in the minority about Vista, my friend. It's a usability nightmare, we're going to be spending the entire summer retraining our staff on how to use Office 2007 as well as preparing materials to train users on Windows Vista.

Even though we've placed a moratorium on any upgrades to Vista at least until SP1

10. astranovus thread starter macrumors newbie

vista is not a usability nightmare, i've moved straight from xp to vista with no hassle,

regarding the new office 2007 ribbon,
    all staff have to be trained when programmes have new features,

this is nothing vista specific

to say vista is instabil and a user nightmare, is utter rubbish, with a bit of thoughtful forethinking, vista runs great

apple has an advantage as it only has to cater for a very limited range of computers, so stability should naturally be better,

i moved away from tiger as rosetta got on my nerves under office 2004, my macbook fan was virtually lifting off all the time,

sloppy programming

11. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

sloppy programming? Emulating a PPC procesor on an intel processor, seamlessly, the only noticable difference between it and a native app being 1) slower and 2) more taxing on the CPU?
    Do me a lemon. This is part of the reason that microsoft are in so much trouble, they refuse to take evolutionary leaps, insisting that all applications should contiune running from OS to OS, adding to the bloat and security nightmare of the OS. yes they have a huge wealth of software, but a crappy OS as a result.

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So .... BYE!! You can delete that MacRumors bookmark asap.

Oh, and no, Apple couldn't care less about Vista.

13. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Our IT Dept refuses to convert to Vista. One of our techs told me he just bought a laptop and had to un-install Vista and put XP on it because he was having to many problems. I guess it's a preference thing.

14. 103734 Guest

i have vista

I hate vista, it works like ****, sure vista doesnt crash as my but all my programs do, every program I have has crashed at least once in vista.
    Also a bunch of my stuff doesnt work like my printer.
    sure it may be better later but right now it just plane sucks

15. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

... and if SJ is to be believed then this is why the 'Top Secret' features that everyone is sick of hearing about were left out until the beta that is to be distributed in June.

16. savar macrumors 68000

savar

why isn't there a minimum post count before you can start new threads??

this a completely stupid thread that shouldn't have been started at all.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Who really rates "eye candy?"

I want usability, not cavities.

18. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I also use Vista and it rocks,,,,never had a problem with Tiger or Vista.....

19. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Does the shift key work in Vista?

jk ;)

20. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I think this quote just goes to show how ignorant you are when it comes to computers. Emulating another CPU seamlessly in any OS is a great achievement. Sure it might be a bit slower but you can still use your old applications.

It would be like Microsoft suddenly deciding that Windows should only run on Playstation 3's but had the code to run all the old Windows applications as well (far fetched example but you get my point).

21. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

That's a laugh. Users thinking in advance? I'd be out of a Network consulting job if that happened.

22. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Well i'm sure if apple had spent 5 years making tiger, it would have been one hell of an operating system

23. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I wouldn't call the move to Intel an evolutionary leap. Steve Jobs made a wrong decision when choosing the PPC platform, and Apple had to fix it. It's not that this move added any new features to the system.

And I don't really get your argument. Rosetta is great, but Microsoft is lame because they're insisting that all applications should continue to run on new releases of the OS?? Where's the logic in this statement?

24. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It isn't Steve's fault that we couldn't get a 3 ghz G5. It isn't his fault that Moto had a shortage of chips. It isn't his fault we don't have a PowerBook G5.

Did Steve choose PPC in the first place?

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. Jobs was sidelined by Sculley in 85 and founded NeXT in 86. He returned to Apple in 95 when Apple bought NeXT, long after the decision to switch to PPC had been made.