VLC 3.0 Update Adds Cross-Platform 4K and 8K Hardware Decoding, HDR10, Chromecast Support, and More

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

VideoLAN on Friday released VLC 3.0 "Vetinari", a major update to the popular media player that is rolling out across all platforms, including macOS, iOS, and tvOS.

Version 3 includes a huge number of new features and improvements to the app, including automatic hardware decoding for 4K and 8K playback, support for 10-bit HDR, 360-degree video and 3D audio, and Chromecast streaming with support for non-native formats.

[​IMG]

VLC now works with Blu-Ray Java menus and features network browsing support for local network and NAS drives, including those with SMB, FTP, SFTP, NFS filesystems. The iOS app has also been optimized for iPhone X displays, while on Mac, Chromecast streaming to supported devices can be found in the menu bar under Playback -> Renderer.

Among many other changes and improvements in VLC Vetinari, further standout features include: a redesigned and resizable fullscreen controller; a new status bar icon which displays metadata and play controls; support for keyboard blacklight dimming during fullscreen video playback; significant performance improvements in playlist handling; and a simplified preferences window. Check the online changelog for the complete list of updates.

VLC 3.0 is a free downloaded for Mac from the VideoLan website. (Note that version 3.0.0 of VLC removes support for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and requires Mac systems to run OS X 10.7 Lion or later.) VLC 3.0.0 is already available on the tvOS App Store, but the iPhone and iPad update still appears to be rolling out as of writing.

Article Link: VLC 3.0 Update Adds Cross-Platform 4K and 8K Hardware Decoding, HDR10, Chromecast Support, and More

2. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

I switched to IINA and never looked back...

3. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

Only toke them 3 years but now it runs smooth on my macbook pro so im happy

4. 827538 macrumors 6502a

Long overdue but very happy none the less.

5. Kabeyun, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

First I’m hearing about 8K. Wow. That’s a lot of K. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. At a certain point consumers really won’t need any more K, but there’ll always be a push for more K. At 4K, I already get treated to the skin pores of the actors I’m watching. With 8K I’ll be able to enjoy actors’ pimples and pores on a screen the size of a bus. I think the K people might be in cahoots with the TV people. I guess that’s O-K.

6. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Ah Vetinari. He didn't administer a reign of terror, just the occasional light shower.

7. gim macrumors 6502

gim

Kinda surprised that the mac version was released on the same day as the windows update.
    Long overdue, hopefully it runs better now.

8. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Wow! Way to go VLC team! A big pile of video upgrades for a whopping cost of free, and no ongoing subscription required either. Amazing.

9. potatis, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

So OSX 10.10 will be required with 3.x if I understand the changelog, wonder if the icon will get a Yosemite upgrade.
    Edit: It does look a bit flatter actually.

10. upandown macrumors 6502

I tried it in my 2012 rmbp and it was just as stuttery as before. 4k mkv.

11. GlennFisher macrumors newbie

GlennFisher

Hey Gang...

Can someone explain to me in layman‘s terms about VLC… i used to be able to watch movies with VLC on my computer a very long time ago… But how is it used for Apple TV and an iPhone…?

What is VLC primarily used for… Thanks guys - again this is just a general question about VLC and who really uses it…

I’m so out of the loop at this point I don’t know what it is used for primarily

12. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

13. Delgibbons macrumors 6502

Delgibbons

Again. .. The Japanese are in the lead :D

http://www.nhk.or.jp/8k/sp/index_e.html

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/9/1/16239250/sharp-8k-tv-ifa-aquos

14. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Key functionality is right on the front page: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/ This page gets a bit more specific: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

I think of it as a "Swiss Army Knife" of video players- just throw about anything at it. When I end up with a file that won't play in QT, it almost certainly will play in VLC. For example, a client might shoot something or have something in a non QT-friendly format. Or maybe they've got an OLD video- maybe a logo render- in something long in tooth. Try QT- fail (to play). Try VLC- probably plays.

And visiting their specs page, I see the audio formats list seems significantly larger than I remember, so that would- IMO- modify the above definition to "Swiss Army Knife" of video & audio formats.

15. Avieshek macrumors 6502a

Avieshek

Now, 12-bit Rec.2100 colours and 120fps.

16. maverick28 macrumors member

8K? 4K? HDR 10-bit? What's that, making a parade of cool sounding specs boasting maximum figures to impress occasional users? I gave it the chance twice in the past, both times it failed miserably. Severe graphical artifacts, instability. What do you expect if it it's "open source"? I bought Macgo Blu-Ray player that played what VLC couldn't to make the grade as a decent media player.

17. edulanza10 macrumors newbie

Hi there! I have a mid 2012 MacBook pro, can someone confirmed me if it's able to play 4K videos???? Thank you

18. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

You can check on http://jell.yfish.us/

19. Secondempire macrumors newbie

Secondempire

I like the new Yosemite style icon. Call it OCD if you want, but the old Leopard style icon was really annoying after macOS went flat.

20. upandown macrumors 6502

As posted earlier, I have the same computer and it doesn't seem to work.

21. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

I've been using this icon since Yosemite release, VLC purchased this icon from its designer 3 years ago, until now they started using it...

22. tha_man macrumors member

tha_man

Perfect timing :) Just last week I have tried to play 4k video for a first time with VLC and was a bit dissapointed, that it was occasionally quite stuttery on my 2017 27" iMac 27" with i5 3.8 and Radeon 580. CPU was most of the time at 4GHz and using 60-100% of all 4 cores (skipping frames at 100% of course).

With VLC 3.0 it plays smooth, around 7% CPU utilisation, frequency going from below 2GHz to 3.5 GHZ. Time to finally watch it, woohooo!

23. nigameash macrumors 6502

Didn't even know it existed. Looks really nice

24. thejackD macrumors newbie

VLC and IINA OK for MKV /AVI
    QUICKTIME always the best for M4V/MP4

25. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko