Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

VMWare Fusion 2.0 Public Beta 1 Now Available

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Didn't see this posted anywhere else:

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/fusion

Fusion v2 beta 1 is out. There's a trial key for anyone who doesn't run it yet.

Current v1 owners upgrade for free.

Multiple monitor support (up to 10 displays)
Improved networking and printing
Support for DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2
A refined UI for settings and VM management

A pic from my install:

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
I downloaded it as well. I'm diggin it except for the new settings layout. While I understand their desire to be "mac-like" I dislike having to click "show all" when I need to change multiple configuration options. The previous version's method of implementation for this was much better, IMO

Comment

nylock10

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
Anyone having trouble installing VMWare Tools in Vista? It's taking forever, it look's like it's stuck.

Comment

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
Everybody should note that the beta runs in debug mode so VM's will be slower than in the final version.

By default... however you can disable the debug mode so that it runs just like normal.

This is in the preferences pane. One check-mark and no more slowness.

Comment

icoffee

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Anyone having trouble installing VMWare Tools in Vista? It's taking forever, it look's like it's stuck.

For you or others who don't know, you can go to Library->Application Support, open the windows iso, and get the installer from there. VMWare tools had the same problem on mine.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in the DirectX 9 support?

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
VMWare Fusion 2.0 Public Beta 1 Now Available

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Virtualization software maker VMWare has announced a public beta of VMWare Fusion 2.0.

Topping the list of new features is multiple-display support and experimental DirectX 9 Shader Model 2 support. VMWare notes that hardware acceleration has always been a feature of Fusion, with support for DirectX 8.1 in version 1.0 and DirectX 9 minus pixel shaders in version 1.1. Other improvements are detailed on the Fusion 2.0 beta landing page.

The public beta is free for both current and prospective users, and can be downloaded from VMWare's website. The final version will be a free upgrade to existing 1.1 users.

Article Link

Comment

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
Definitely have been looking forward to this. Killing me I can't try it out till Apple fixes my MBP.

I love that it's a free upgrade to all owners, unlike parallels. Cudos to VMWare.

Comment

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Good to know that the upgrade from 1 to 2 will be free for existing customers!

Comment

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
It's great (and surprising) that it will be a free upgrade. What I was really hoping for though is the ability to run OS X server in a VM. I believe the Apple license allows for that now.

Comment

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
I love that it's a free upgrade to all owners, unlike parallels. Cudos to VMWare.

Does anyone know of a comparative review of Fusion and Parallels? Better yet, what does everyone here think? I primarily need to run QuickBooks Premier and also test Web pages -- and I'd like to be able to access Windows by remote controlling my Mac using LogMeIn, VNC, etc. Thank you.

Comment

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Does anyone know of a comparative review of Fusion and Parallels? Better yet, what does everyone here think? I primarily need to run QuickBooks Premier and also test Web pages -- and I'd like to be able to access Windows by remote controlling my Mac using LogMeIn, VNC, etc. Thank you.

I think Fusion is a lot better, personally.

Comment

catdog02481

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
Boston, MA

Hi, I have both Parallels and VMware Fusion; although i respect Parallels' fans and admire them for being 1st on the block, i have been using VMWare exclusively for the last 6 months and am very happy. It works with Dragon and all my apps and had a lower tendency to overheat my MBP compared to Parallels. You should try both yourself, they have a ever so slightly different feel and for me VMW is no. 1

Comment

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008

I use LogMeIn in a Windows 2000 VM and it works flawlessly.

Personally I dumped Parallels some time ago. Last time I started my WinXP VM in Parallels it was so slow as to be unusable, and the whole MacBook was almost completely unresponsive. I've had no issues with Fusion, even with the Parallels VM's I've transfered over to it. And Parallels "support" is abysmal. I don't know about VMWare's support as I've never needed it.

When Parallels charged for the upgrade to the bug-ridden and unstable version 3, I jumped ship and I've never regretted it.

Comment

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Well I have not used the latest version of parallels, when I did try it back when it was a Beta, I did not like it.

Then I tried VM Ware Fusion Beta when that was release and liked it much much better. The whole expirance was better, so I bought it when the Final version was available for DL.

I havent looked back, and cant wait to try this!

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Both Parallels and Fusion have their quirks and bugs. I have both but use Parallels because it's quirks and bugs are less annoying for what I do.

I know Fusion had issues with Quickbooks files stored on shared folders (which is a nice way to use it), though it looks like they are working on the fix in this beta. Go with Parallels or wait for the final version of Fusion 2.0 (I wouldn't run anything critical with a beta version).

The feature list for this beta looks really, really good for me. These items might address most of the quirks and bugs that have affected me:
...True Multiple Display Support...
Improved compatibility with Windows applications including QuickBooks and Visual Studio ...
USB Improvements...
Virtual machines in Bridged networking mode know when your Mac's network connection is available or become unavailable, and will refresh their network address automatically ...
Unity windows now respect the Dock location and won't maximize underneath the Dock ...
Virtual machines resume and start directly in Unity view ...

Comment

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
I've used both.. and am looking forward to what Parallels does next.. to me
3d support is the big factor.. I found Parallels boots faster.. paralles 5584 and VMware 1.1 it was almost an app by app thing.. parallels would do better with some appsm fusion better for others. Fusion 2 is probably in the lead now.. but i assume parallels 4 isnt far off, 3 has been out for a bit now.

Comment

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I've used both.. and am looking forward to what Parallels does next.. to me
3d support is the big factor.. I found Parallels boots faster.. paralles 5584 and VMware 1.1 it was almost an app by app thing.. parallels would do better with some appsm fusion better for others. Fusion 2 is probably in the lead now.. but i assume parallels 4 isnt far off, 3 has been out for a bit now.

I agreee - Parallels and Fusion seem to be leap frogging each other. The new release of Fusion will likely be more stable than the current release of Parallels, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Parallels passed it up in 6 months or so.

Comment

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
No support yet for Vista 64 in Boot Camp partition?

Not officially, but they're said to be looking into the issue.

I run a bootcamped Vista Ultimate 64 (SP1) under Fusion and it's been OK for me. Just needed to tweak the vmx settings a bit.

The main issue is the activation not being recognized under both environments (Boot Camp and Fusion). Switching back and forth will prompt you to re-activate every time. You can temporarily avoid the issue for a few months by keeping Vista unactivated and resetting your 30-day trial period (although you can only do that 3 times). I'm only doing this until they fix the problem, then I'll go ahead and activate.

Add this to the annoying activation problems with non-enterprise MS Office and Adobe products. Activation FTL!

Comment

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
V2 is kicking major booty - especially given the dual screen support. Runs real well here - generally seems faster than V1, and I've not yet had a single issue with it (running XP Pro).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.