VMware Fusion 3 Virtualization Solution Now Available

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
It really does. I've been really happy with Fusion since 1.0, especially with the free upgrades to 2.0. They say better graphics performance for games, I'll have to see how improved it is, but maybe I can finally say goodbye to Boot Camp :D I doubt its that good, but finally being able to use Aero in Win7 will be pretty sweet.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
For some reason Fusion 3.0 can't boot my Windows 7 Boot Camp installation. Windows blue screens and offers to repair but the repair doesn't work and it always hangs just as the animated Windows logo appears.:(

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
Fusion 3 Released!

Looks like vmware Fusion 3 has been released today.

I went to check the upgrade price, which is $39.99, however there is also another upgrade option to choose from.

http://store.vmware.com/servlet/Con...mKB8UQoBAkgAAGI7CFUAAAAP&rests=1256648035477#

For $99.99, there is the option to "protect your investment" and receive future major releases during a 12 month subscription. Does anyone know what that is?

As far as I am aware, the Fusion update cycle has always been more than 12 months (mind you, there's only been two releases). Also, if an upgrade is $39.99, then I could probably get the next upgrade at the same price and still spend less than $99.99.

I don't get it. Anyone know more details?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
All I know is that their site refuses to let me purchase the $39.99 upgrade, even though my VMware Fusion is registered. It consistently comes back with "Our records indicate that you have no eligible registered products to upgrade. To complete your upgrade order, please register a compatible product."

I've been on hold with VMware for 20 minutes now waiting to talk to someone to straighten this out. VERY ANNOYING...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Already running after buying this morning UK time. Unity mode with Linux is much quicker, and there are a lot more configuration and management options. Not really had a chance to play with most of them yet though.

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
Had to register again ...

I needed to enter my serial number, then is said I was okay. Somewhere in that interaction, it clicked a register product button and reregistered my Fusion license. The resulting dialog box indicated that it could take time before they updated their records. At this point, I bailed on the transaction. I am not sure their back-end systems are working correctly ... plus I want someone else to be the first application for fusion 3.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Anybody got it yet? I'm interested to find out if it's any faster than 2.0.6. I'm pretty please with this version. I'm not interested in graphics acceleration.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Typing this on VMware Fusion 3.0 via Windows 7 RC. ;)

I've got Aero enabled on my Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-core, and so far, so good. Unfortunately, Aero seems kinda laggy, but it functions, so I guess that's all that matters. Looks like the 3D effects run at 30fps, as opposed to maybe 60fps that you'd be looking at running Windows 7 natively.

I'm about to boot up via Snow Leopard 64-bit kernel and see if Aero improves any.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It really does. I've been really happy with Fusion since 1.0, especially with the free upgrades to 2.0.
I just paid to upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0, and the two options they gave me were:
$39.99 = upgrade
$99.99 = upgrade + a subscription to free upgrades for 12-months

I guess their days of giving free major upgrades is over?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I installed it, but can’t use it because I don’t have a trial serial number.

I purchased Fusion 2 several weeks ago and qualify for the free upgrade, but it looks like I won’t receive that until I mail in a bunch of stuff. It would have nice if they would have posted the mail-in form back when they announced Fusion 3 instead of waiting until today.

Gahhh. VMWare has one of the worst Web sites I’ve ever been to.

jeffspc88mx

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
...says I'm not eligible

I'm having the same problem as clayj - site says I'm not eligible to upgrade, and the page formatting is all wrecked. I sent some screenshots to their web support folks - in the meantime have to wait for 3.0

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Doesn't seem like the 64-bit kernel helps with Aero. Is anyone else having laggy performance with Aero? If anyone wants to know, I've got a Geforce GTX 285.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
My Aero is working perfectly.
My Aero is working perfectly. What I'm talking about in particular is the frame rate performance, as in when minimizing windows, etc. Doesn't seem to be running in a high frame rate, but it's working nonetheless.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
VMware Fusion 3 Virtualization Solution Now Available

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

VMware today announced that it has begun shipping VMware Fusion 3, the next generation of its virtualization software that allows users to run Windows applications alongside Mac OS X applications. The new software, announced earlier this month, is optimized for Snow Leopard, offers full support for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7, and includes a built-in Migration Assistant for Windows tool to assist users new to Mac.
VMware, Inc., the global leader in virtualization solutions from the desktop through the datacenter and to the cloud, today announced that VMware Fusion 3 is now available. With more than 50 new features, VMware Fusion 3 makes it easier than ever to run Windows applications with Mac simplicity.

With the new built-in Migration Assistant for Windows, VMware Fusion 3 is more than two times faster than other "Switch to Mac" solutions. Users can move their entire PCs - including applications, files documents, and settings - to their Macs with a simple Ethernet cable, a FireWire cable, or even wirelessly.
VMware Fusion 3 is available for immediate electronic download for $79.99, with upgrade pricing of $39.99 available to current VMware Fusion users.

Article Link: VMware Fusion 3 Virtualization Solution Now Available

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Anybody got it yet? I'm interested to find out if it's any faster than 2.0.6. I'm pretty please with this version. I'm not interested in graphics acceleration.
I have it installed on my early 2008 MBP and yes it is faster, although so far I've only installed two Linux distros on it (the latest Kubuntu and BackTrack v4 RC). I'll virtualise Windows XP onto it from my iMac once I get home, which is doubly good as I'll be able to get my BootCamp partition space back on there :)

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
I've got VMW3 installed with XP running and it is just fine. New tweaks help and the speed so far is good.

It has a new App Menu which bolts on to the main OS X menu bar. This has quick links to XP Apps and to a couple of XP folders. (My Computer, My Documents and Control Panel)

I would like to be able to edit the list of folders (create a short cut to my XP desktop). Haven't yet found out how to edit the folder list. Editing the App list is easy enough.

Anyone know how to edit the folders though? :confused:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Aero don't matter with the 64-bit kernel. Instead if matters at the translation from DX to OpenGL so OSX can use it. If you're using Snow Leopard, you'll probably find a less performing Aero due to bad nVidia drivers.

The final 3.0 is actually a lot faster than the RC released by VMWare Fusion a month ago that I've been testing on. Be happy you don't need to suffer through a slow Windows 7 VM for month :p

xendofnothing

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Looks like another interesting option to investigate. I am trying to decide whether to install my cheap Windows 7 copy on boot camp or virtualize at the moment.
I always recommend doing both. Install Windows 7 via Boot Camp then VMware Fusion will use the Boot Camp partition as the virtual machine. That way you have the option of either Option-booting or going into the virtual machine.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Anyone know if I need to buy 2 upgrade copies, one for my MBP and one for my MP or will one suffice?

One more question...can VMWare allow me to have 2 virtual machines running simultaneously? I'm not sure I want to upgrade XP just yet and wanted to get a full copy of Win7 and install a second virtual machine. Could both these machines be run in parallel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.