Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Unfortunately not.

Fusion has been going sideways for several releases now, same with Workstation (i've used both since Workstation 1.0).

VirtualBox will have to do; it's free and works better with GNS3 anyway...

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
Unfortunately not.

Fusion has been going sideways for several releases now, same with Workstation (i've used both since Workstation 1.0).

VirtualBox will have to do; it's free and works better with GNS3 anyway...
I have felt the sme way. It was like the new releases where simply supporting updated versions of Windows running on the latest version of OS X. I have loved this program and bought every version of it since I got my first MacBook. This is a huge blow.

Is Parallels using American programmers and is it comparable? If so my next update I will probably switch over to them. I can't belive VMWare would do such a thing.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Parallels is a great product, but the caveat is that your version will only run supported for two OS X versions, and then they expect you to pony up again. If you grab licenses via the Mac software bundles and the like it's not too bad, but the price was too steep for me to consider keeping it current for what I needed.

In terms of graphics performance they were stomping Fusion last time I checked, but in other areas of performance and usability I've heard more good things about Fusion.

Not having a real competitor is probably not going to improve Parallels at all, though.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I've used both Fusion and Parallels in the past and honestly, at this point, I don't see a reason to pay for either products anymore. Now, I use VirtualBox for everything. Maybe if you really need performance or something but if that was the case I'd bootcamp.

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
I heard about this earlier today. I can't bring myself to pay for Fusion again after they canned the US based workers. The company I work for is doing the same thing. Many of my colleagues are out of work and more will follow, including me. Time to vote with my wallet.

Not having a real competitor is probably not going to improve Parallels at all, though.

I agree.

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
I heard about this earlier today. I can't bring myself to pay for Fusion again after they canned the US based workers. The company I work for is doing the same thing. Many of my colleagues are out of work and more will follow, including me. Time to vote with my wallet.

I agree.
I agree. I read that VMWare is using a Chineese team to program now. There is no way I am going to use any software that comes from China. VMWare is dead to me.

To all you VMWare people good luck. Let us know if you make your own Fusion product. If you need to put it up on kickstart. I know I would donate money to keep a rocking team in business. :D

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
To all you VMWare people good luck. Let us know if you make your own Fusion product. If you need to put it up on kickstart. I know I would donate money to keep a rocking team in business. :D

Poetic justice that would be... I would kick in for that kickstarter campaign too.

Reactions: Daisy81

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
An after-thought though... Maybe Apple should take an interest in these ex-VMware folks. It occurs to me that Fusion rebadged would be something that Apple could market directly and likely make a killing if executed well.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
An after-thought though... Maybe Apple should take an interest in these ex-VMware folks. It occurs to me that Fusion rebadged would be something that Apple could market directly and likely make a killing if executed well.
That would be cool if it could be built into OS X so you can install windows like a VM for boot cam but then be able to boot directly into it. Even better if they can somehow manage to make it hosted but still maintain close to 100% performnce of running the windows programs native.

If Apple snatches up these deves and does something like this it would make me very happy!!!

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
OS X already comes with a hypervisor (Veertu uses it, so does xhyve). Imagine what would happen if those VMware peeps get to play with it :)
Lets all email Tim Cook and request it. If enough people ask maybe he will do it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is aweful, I can't believe they'd drop the entire team, does that mean they're giving up on the OS X market? I can't but come to any other conclusion. Looks like I'll be re-installing VirtualBox.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have felt the sme way. It was like the new releases where simply supporting updated versions of Windows running on the latest version of OS X. I have loved this program and bought every version of it since I got my first MacBook. This is a huge blow.

Is Parallels using American programmers and is it comparable? If so my next update I will probably switch over to them. I can't belive VMWare would do such a thing.

I believe the Parallels team is Russian(? not sure, just what i heard on an Arstechnica thread about it).

I've used it briefly on a friends Mac, seems to work, the UI is a bit... different and confusing coming from Fusion, but so is VirtualBox. VirtualBox is free though, and I think VirtualBox also more easily virtualizes OS X 10.6 (i've been meaning to check if i can find my SL disc).
[doublepost=1454157692][/doublepost]
This is aweful, I can't believe they'd drop the entire team, does that mean they're giving up on the OS X market? I can't but come to any other conclusion. Looks like I'll be re-installing VirtualBox.

It's not the "Fusion team". It's the "hosted UI" team. I.e., this affects Workstation as well on Linux/Windows.

So this isn't a "we are ditching the Mac" thing. It's a "we are ditching the desktop virtualisation team" for all desktop OS platforms.

i.e., the only virtualisation products they make NOT affected by this is ESXi/vSphere suite.

Reactions: nightcap965

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It's the entire team that creates products like Workstation, Player and Fusion so it is every desktop virtualisation software from VMware. They have stated that they are still committed to it. Rumours are that they are moving the development of these products to their devs in China. Current software still works so there is hardly a reason to turn to an alternative right now. Best thing is to wait and see how things play out. In the future we may need to switch to an alternative (Xhyve, Veertu, VirtualBox, Parallels).

ESXi/vSphere is where the money is. The subset of desktop users who need to run multiple OSes is pretty small.
It was never meant to do that. It was meant as a solution to those who need to develop, test, teach and/or demo. Fusion is the only one actually aimed at those who need Windows. That's why we have advanced networking, full/linked clones, multiple snapshots, nested virtualisation and so on. Many are lacking in the alternatives. Besides that, all VMware virtualisation products use the same base. ESXi is no different when it comes to the hypervisor than Fusion or Workstation. The only difference is the stuff around the hypervisor.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's not the "Fusion team". It's the "hosted UI" team. I.e., this affects Workstation as well on Linux/Windows.

So this isn't a "we are ditching the Mac" thing. It's a "we are ditching the desktop virtualisation team" for all desktop OS platforms.
Wow, I thought it was just the Fusion team.

Rumours are that they are moving the development of these products to their devs in China.
That's sad, I work in the IT industry, so outsourcing hits me hard when I see it. I this is the case, I'd rather not provide Vmware any my money to help fuel those actions. While my money represents such a tiny number that even a fraction cannot fully detail it, I'm not willing to provide my money.
[doublepost=1454240500][/doublepost]
I believe the Parallels team is Russian(? not sure, just what i heard on an Arstechnica thread about it).
Yes, and I have no problem with foreign developers, but when an American company lays off its development staff to outsource cheaper labor, I have a problem with that.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Parallels is a great product, but the caveat is that your version will only run supported for two OS X versions, and then they expect you to pony up again. If you grab licenses via the Mac software bundles and the like it's not too bad, but the price was too steep for me to consider keeping it current for what I needed.

In terms of graphics performance they were stomping Fusion last time I checked, but in other areas of performance and usability I've heard more good things about Fusion.

Yeah, I update Parallels every other year (currently on 10, using it with El Cap), usually find it discounted for $39, so I figure $20/year is pretty insignificant, especially if you use it in any sort of professional capacity. :)

It's been an extremely solid product for me, I've been using it for ~5 years, and on top of that, I'd been using my original Windows install from a previous HP as my VM that was already 3-ish years old (I did recently upgrade it to Win10/64 Pro for free).

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
So my question is, is ESXi still being developed in the US? That is the core of all of VMWare's products. VMWare must be in use in a ton of sensitive environments... I hasten to think that Chinese workers are writing the hypervisor. I can't believe they'd choose to send any of the work out; there has to be many CIOs and CTOs for companies that use vSphere in finance, government, medical, etc., that are going to have second thoughts when it comes time to upgrade because of this.

It goes well beyond Fusion and people running Windows on their Macs. The nice thing about VMware was that everything is interchangeable. I can use Fusion to connect to an ESXi server to open a console session to any VM, and/or pull down a copy of any VM without having to take it offline and run it locally to test for problems or test an update etc. You can also create a VM on your desktop, configure and test it there and later deploy to ESXi, all very seamless and it all just works.

As too bad as it is, it should be totally clear why this is happening. VMWare/vSphere licensing is very expensive and hard to justify when you compare the various low/no cost competition. Which, for now, is primarily HyperV, which MS just gives away, but there are many other options that are catching up. I find it hard to believe that a Hypervisor appearing in OS X right after Apple and IBM start working closely on business/enterprise products is just a coincidence. Nor do I think it is just there for Xcode/developers.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
primarily HyperV, which MS just gives away
I'm giving this a try for the first time right now. I need an XP installation on my Windows 10 office PC for an app that I can't get to run on Win10.

--------

It is awfully odd that VMware would be doing this and I wonder what the future of Fusion will be; does it die right here with v8?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
VMware are claiming on twitter that their "commitment to fusion" is "unchanged".

whatever that is supposed to mean - but given they fired the whole team i don't see things being exactly positive in the short/medium term unless they rehire a bunch of them.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
Curious...

Aside from the price, what are the primary differences between Parallels and VirtualBox - stability, functionality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.