Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Easily my new favorite app from the Appstore! So much better than the Jailbroken version.. actually useable.. I use AIM through my home computer via VNC on my iPhone now and it's working out way better than the built in AIM client due to the fact my session is always online!

Jay

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Easily my new favorite app from the Appstore! So much better than the Jailbroken version.. actually useable.. I use AIM through my home computer via VNC on my iPhone now and it's working out way better than the built in AIM client due to the fact my session is always online!

Jay

You can't be serious. For one, you have a terrible addiction. Two, there is no WAY that logging into your computer from somewhere else is faster than firing up aim. Just have aim sent to text....

longshotalpha

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
I've successfuly connected to two different vnc server machines. Unfortunately, certain keys don't register correctly. I can't get the symbols ()$&@"! to work. They show up as the corresponding numbers (!-1, @-2, etc..). Anyone else have this problem? My desktop vnc clients (VNC Viewer and COTVNC) work perfectly.

Otherwise, nice tool.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
This app is so cool. Its opening massive gate for iphone functionality. People have wonder how to access files from iphone since there is no direct connection to iDisk. Now we have it. You just log in to your computer from iPhone and open any file or send it to iphone if you want to. Endless possibilities.
And is free.
:rolleyes::D:D

Keyhole

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Seems very laggy to me even over wifi. I am using 10.4.11 on my Mac. Any chance thta would make a difference?

aimfire

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
I was able to connect to my Mac, no problem at all.
They have a set-up page here, simple: http://mochasoft.dk/iphone_vnc_support.htm

Thing I don't like, the iPhone screen dosn't seem to "refresh" in real time... I'll close a window using the iPhone, and it happens on the Mac, but iphone screen won't reflect the change, unless I go into the menu hit "refresh"... On a wifi network here too...

PMart317

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
need some help please!

I am on my wifi network at home and put in my ip address, and put port 5900, and then a random password...it says ERROR, it cant connect?

billpendry.com

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
People have wonder how to access files from iphone since there is no direct connection to iDisk. Now we have it. You just log in to your computer from iPhone and open any file or send it to iphone if you want to.

Basic shell access would be nice. More practical.

I just started using this app: http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/

It gives you simple VNC-like screen sharing/control (that shows my whole 1920x1200 screen), plus terminal, plus you can browse and open files in an iPhone-standard file browser interface.

You can also grab pics from the iSight and emulate the Apple Remote.

It's a server app you run on your mac and then access thru Safari on the iPhone.

It's rad.

fireb0x

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
WoW

Somebody asked for WoW on this, here it is:

wowgv9.jpg

It runs terribly and is impossible to play.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I have a computer in my office with ultra VNC on it that I will connect to sometimes because I am too lazy to unbury the keyboard for it. This is a nice secondary access for when I want to do a few quick things on it. The machine works as a media server and a download hub, so I only need access ocassionally and usually to do something quick.

This will come in handy. I set it up and connected just fine. The only thing is I could not figure out how to do a right-mouse click. Any suggestions?

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I'm not sure what 'VNC' is, but can I use this app like Remote Desktop Connection? I want to connect to my work PC at termserver2.xxxxxxx.net, but it's not working. Can I do that with this app?
I can connect to my Macbook with wi-fi (which is kinda useless). So does this only work if my iphone and mac are on the same network?

edit: I figured out how to connect to my Macbook over 3G. I reeeeeaaally love my iPhone now! :)

mjshot15

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
I'm not sure what 'VNC' is, but can I use this app like Remote Desktop Connection? I want to connect to my work PC at termserver2.xxxxxxx.net, but it's not working. Can I do that with this app?
I can connect to my Macbook with wi-fi (which is kinda useless). So does this only work if my iphone and mac are on the same network?

edit: I figured out how to connect to my Macbook over 3G. I reeeeeaaally love my iPhone now! :)

How do you connect to it with 3G?

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
By the way, if someone else is using your same computer at home on a different account, can VNC still access your own account?

No, VNC will show you exactly what your monitor at home sees. You are unable to access any other user account than what is currently logged in on the computer.

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
Now I'm no network wizard, but I do know some basic ins and outs of how a network works. After forwarding the necessary ports in my router and making sure that my mac's firewall was also opening up those ports, I still cannot connect from outside of my network using my physical ip address. However when I'm connected to my local network using my 192.168.x.x address everything works fine. Any ideas?

DJ88

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Downtown Miami
We have quite a range of people in this thread...the experts (such as yourself), the capable (users like me who understand basic port forwarding principles) and the freaking idiots who shouldn't even be allowed on the internet.

If you are this last type, stop asking idiot questions. Search for port forwarding. Figure it out.

Do you even understand what a VPN is?

Well someone sure is being a huge douche bag today. No, I don't know about port forwarding, I don't understand what a VPN is, that's why i'm asking. Sorry my "idiot" questions don't please you lord appleretailguy.

Not knowing about VPN and port forwarding does not make someone an idiot, dick. If I was asking how to turn off my computer, or how to go to a website, I would maybe understand you.

So next time, if you don't want to help, try just not saying anything instead of making yourself look like a giant *******.

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
wow! this map is amazing. can you guys imagine the possibilities of this? one of the coolest apps i've seen and it runs great on wi-fi at least. doubt it would go over too well on edge.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Well someone sure is being a huge douche bag today. No, I don't know about port forwarding, I don't understand what a VPN is, that's why i'm asking. Sorry my "idiot" questions don't please you lord appleretailguy.

Not knowing about VPN and port forwarding does not make someone an idiot, dick. If I was asking how to turn off my computer, or how to go to a website, I would maybe understand you.

So next time, if you don't want to help, try just not saying anything instead of making yourself look like a giant *******.
+1 :D

Some people are just *******s, it's the internet, you can run into anybody.

http://www.portforward.com has EXCELLENT port forwarding guides. You select what router you have, then select what application you're forwarding the ports for.

For example, here's their guide to forward ports on a Linksys WRT54G for VNC.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/VNC.htm

By the way, appleretailguy may be an uber 1337 internet hax0r, but I bet he sux0rz at gettin' laid :rolleyes:

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
wow! this map is amazing. can you guys imagine the possibilities of this? one of the coolest apps i've seen and it runs great on wi-fi at least. doubt it would go over too well on edge.

I Know, I can't wait to get home and try it out!

Now if only we could get a 'trackpad' app in the app store, we'd be golden!

MacNewbie03

macrumors regular
At work, our computers are behind a corporate firewall, so therefore we don't have external access to them, so we don't use any passwords, but when I tried connecting to one today, it wanted a password to be entered before it would even try to connect.

fleegerc

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
ok so i guess im an idiot because i can't figure out port forwarding either. i can get the vnc lite to connect when im on the same wireless network on wifi. but i wont it to connect using edge. i have a time capsule as my router and it says you have to pick a service when you are using the port mapping to add. can someone please tell me how to add the proper port forwarding on my time capsule then what i have to type in to my iphone's vnc? it would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.