VO2 Max in Watch OS4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Peen macrumors newbie

Very first run I did, I had V02 max in Health data, and it was only 16 something minutes. Past 5 runs have been 20-30min and no V02 max. Not sure what's going on. Did complete wipe of watch and phone, and re-setup everything, still no V02 max.

Getting good HR reading the whole time, so weird.

2. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I walked at a fast pace for 3.0 miles at the park with my wife. We did two separate workout sessions of 1.5 miles each. The iPhone seem to display the last VO2 max number on mine but my wife's seems to display the average of the two measurements.
    She got 29.9. (AW2)
    I got 45.6. (AW3)

[​IMG]

3. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

4. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

It seems this VO2 max function is somewhat beta quality right now. Maybe that’s why Apple hasn’t said much about it.

I don’t really think the number is highly useful for most people, but I find it annoying when something is supposed to do something but doesn’t. If it doesn’t work correctly, they should not have implemented it yet.

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Just some more data points for this thread.

I've had the VO2max populate for me under both of these conditions.

1. Outdoor Walk (OPEN goal) - iPhone in pocket. Distance around a mile, time around 16 minutes.

2. NRC+ Outdoor Run - iPhone in pocket. Runs are between 3 to 5 miles. Times between 25 to 45 minutes.

6. john991 macrumors 6502a

Point 2 for me, no iPhone in pocket. Run with Watch only for 3 to 4 miles and my vo2max gets recorded.

7. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

Does anyone think the series 3 barometer has anything to do with this?

It just seems so odd that the function works consistently for some people and not others.

8. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

It worked on my S0. I have yet to test it on my Nike + S3. I wonder if I use NRC, do I still need to have the iPhone with me?

9. john991 macrumors 6502a

I use the NRC with my S3 and don’t bring my iPhone when I do outdoor runs. My VO2 max shows up.

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I think VO2max doesn't have anything to do with the NRC app on either the iPhone or AW. I think that as long as a run from NRC imports correctly to Apple Health/Activity, you should get a VO2max for that workout.

Here's something that happened to me recently.

I went out for a run with both my AW and iPhone. I started my run using NRC on the iPhone like I normally do, but for some reason, the the AW NRC app didn't "connect" correctly with the iPhone, so I was left without HR readings.

So I opened Cardiogram on my AW and turned on continuous HR readings and went back to running. After the run, NRC still didn't recognize the HR readings, but when NRC transferred the data to Apple Health/Activity, somehow, HR data was attached to the run. In doing so, VO2max was also populated.

I theorize that VO2max is done completely by Apple Health/Activity on the iPhone. I don't think the AW has anything to do with it, other than providing HR, time, and GPS data.

11. Peen macrumors newbie

Do you guys get a source in V02 max? Mine is empty, which is strange. Every other reading, for example heart rate, variability, etc show "Apple Watch" as source.

I know it used to show Apple Watch as a source but I did a factory reset on both watch and phone.

I'm wondering if it only becomes a source when it get's uploaded eventually. All my apps are set up correctly.

Attached Files:

12. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Yes the watch should show up.
    Maybe once you get some new data from a run it will repopulate?

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I got a VO2 Max reading for my first run with my new Nike model yesterday, but none for today's much longer run. I used an external Bluetooth HRM today - wondering if that has anything to do with it?

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yeah probably. My guess is that Apple might do some additional analysis on the HR data beyond simple BPM. And any of these algorithms would be optimized for the specific Apple Watch sensor. This could change in the future, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s limited for now

15. lpb macrumors newbie

I run with my Garmin Forerunner 630 and have a VO2 Max of 48 according to Garmin. Did a run with my AW S3 and got a VO2 Max of 50, so the AW is quite accurate

16. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think they are using the same Firstbeat algorithms to calculate.

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Assuming the Garmin is accurate ;) Either way my VO2Max on Apple Watch has been very consistent. So even if it's off by a few I at least have a consistent starting point to compare myself with.

18. john991 macrumors 6502a

I remember reading somewhere Apple licensed it front Firstbeat.

19. Peen macrumors newbie

Yep,

Got V02 max today. Seems off though today, usually 45 v02 max today was 36 and I ran faster same route, same weight. Oh well.

20. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

I finally got it to show up again today. The difference is that I used the Nike+ app instead of the Apple Watch workout app. I prefer the stock app, so I hope the next update brings more consistency.

21. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

38.24 now. :D

Can't wait until I run 10+ km. again. :p