Volcanic ash on MBP?!

markp9114

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
IL
So my 17" i7 MBP arrived this afternoon. I made sure to examine everything thoroughly before I even opened it. i7 17" 2.66 Ghzd 500GB Antiglare. Looks good so I proceed to open the box. I take it out of the box and see a black dust/ash like substance on the corners of my MBP!:confused: Is this normal? The thing just looks dirty because I see black dust on the corners and a little underneath the protective film. I tried rubbing it off, and most of it comes off. But there are tiny tiny black specs leftover that looked ingrained into the corners..like a scratch? I haven't opened the plastic surrounding it yet because I don't want any issues saying that I already used the MBP if I try to return it. I bought it via the apple store. Should I get an exchange? Or just ignore the corners and turn it on! I feel a bit uncomfortable keeping it since I paid $2500+ for it..:rolleyes:

Suggestions? What would you do?

Here are pics:

I just took a picture of this because it looks like the top lid is scratched, but could be the actual film.

what is this?

anyone else see this stuff on theirs?

PS sorry the pics are ginormous I just uploaded them in a hurry without resizing cuz I wanted to post it on here asap!

Ok enough with the volcanic ash sarcasm here..:rolleyes: just thought I'd put up a title so that people would click on it :)

Anywho, heres more pics:

this black stuff is on my box too, not sure if its the same thing..

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Apple will have no problem replacing that for you. I would call them right away.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
wow, weird.
take it back.
i wouldn't risk opening it up and whatever.
at least this way you have proof that it hasn't been open or used before.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Mine had some little flecks of black stuff on it when it arrived, but spit and a paper towel took care of it. No big deal really.

psychjoe

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah your right - it probably is volcano ash, as I heard that Apple outsourced all of its hardware to be manufactured in factories in Iceland.

That'll be it, and because all of the factories are open air:rolleyes:

VelvetFannypack

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
Mine had a little black soot on the corner like that but I was able to rub it off. I wouldn't worry about it unless there are some serious scratches.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Might as well complain. I'm sure Apple would like to know about their systems arriving dirty like that. That doesn't give off a professional, premium impression.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Mine had a little black soot on the corner like that but I was able to rub it off. I wouldn't worry about it unless there are some serious scratches.
I would no way accept a $2500 laptop that has stains new and out of the box. It doesn't look like it's coming off...

Fabian

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
had some "ash" on mine but it came right off with a liitle purell

at least i have no dead pixels or yellow tint :D

Wry Guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
United States
This is a little disturbing, don't you think?

Considering these products are being manufactured in China, isn't there a possibility that this substance is potentially harmful?

I mean, a little toxic ash won't keep me from my Macbook, but still, someone with a better sense of self-preservation should probably look into this.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Stuff on the box seems as dirt or whatever from shipping the boxes.
Stuff on your MBP looks like it's something from the factory.

It would seem a bit far fetched to think that...

Apple packs clean MacBook into a box,
that box into another box,
that box into a pallet of boxes,
that pallet into wrapping plastic,
that wrapped pallet into an airtight plain,
fly that plain through some volcanic ash,
somehow the ash gets into the plain,
into the cargo hold,
between the boxes on the pallet,
into the outer box,
into the inner box,
to stick to the corner of the MBP

:p

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
If you can confirm that IS the volcanic ash, maybe someone will pay lots of $$ in the future for a historic reference item + apple fanatic. :D

BlackZ

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
Mine had some little flecks of black stuff on it when it arrived, but spit and a paper towel took care of it. No big deal really.
Same here, its burn marks from the aluminum but you can easily wipe it off.
At least on mine, this one however has much more and is unacceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.