Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess is skeptical that Apple is planning to sell a physical vehicle and believes that the company is focusing on cockpit software instead (via Reuters).

next-generation-carplay-multi-display.jpg

Diess made the comments at the hub.berlin technology conference in Berlin, where Apple is also in attendance represented by its vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives, Lisa Jackson. "I'm not sure if Apple will actually bring cars to the market in the end. It would be a big effort," he said, adding that he believes Apple will focus on car cockpit software instead.

The remarks come weeks after Apple unveiled a next-generation CarPlay experience at WWDC 2022, featuring support for multiple large displays, speedometers, fuel levels, climate controls, and more. Users will be able to personalize their in-car experience by choosing different gauge cluster designs and widgets, with the new version of CarPlay effectively offering a wholly Apple-designed experience for all of a car's displays and functions. While the new CarPlay experience is designed so that users never need to exit the system, Apple said that automakers will be able to retain a sense of brand identity with the new system.

Apple said the first vehicles to support the new CarPlay experience will be announced in late 2023. While Volkswagen is not among the automakers that have committed to implement it in new cars, two of the goliath automaker's sub-brands, Audi and Porsche, were included in Apple's list of initial supporters.

Apple has been rumored to be working on a self-driving electric vehicle for around eight years, but a series of development challenges have led to questions about when the project will be officially revealed, if ever. Earlier this year, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo warned that Apple's car team had "been dissolved for some time," and needed to be reorganized soon in order for mass production to begin by 2025.

Article Link: Volkswagen CEO Skeptical About Apple Car, Believes in CarPlay-Only Approach

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Making the user experience better in every single car that "just" supports CarPlay could be a higher revenue generator for Apple than physically making cars.

Still wish Apple would let you enable some versions of a CarPlay mode on your phone without having to physically be connected to a car that supports CarPlay. It would be much safer and easier when driving older vehicles, especially on ones that only have connection for audio. Most people are mounting their phone in the screen position anyway.

contacos

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
it kind of makes sense from their point of view. Just look at the phone market. Apple and Google basically control it and I guess they do not want to loose their independency the same way. Imagine VW wants to charge extra for service xy and Apple is like "sure ... but only if you give us a 30 % commission since you are using our software".

Again, talking from their point of view. Customer is something else completely. I personally never use the build in system on my Ford. It is SO ugly and reminds of Symbian days

Mojohanna32

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Making the user experience better in every single car that "just" supports CarPlay could be a higher revenue generator for Apple than physically making cars.

Still wish Apple would let you enable some versions of a CarPlay mode on your phone without having to physically be connected to a car that supports CarPlay. It would be much safer and easier when driving older vehicles, especially on ones that only have connection for audio. Most people are mounting their phone in the screen position anyway.
you need someway to charge though. My experience is that Carplay, specifically navigation, drains battery quickly. So it would need to be plugged in regardless. Wireless charging is an option assuming you can get enough juice to charge or maintain.

kc9hzn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2020
I mean, I think I agree. The biggest issue is that cars just don’t move enough units. Generally, even a popular make of car might move 100,000 to 500,000 units a model year, not really the kinds of sales Apple needs to justify a new category of device. And the automotive industry is one where Apple probably couldn’t find ways of maintaining the sorts of profit margins it wants, even on a $60,000 car. And what price point would Apple even target? They probably wouldn’t compete for economy vehicles, but the >$60,000 luxury market is generally a) locked up quite nicely already and b) fairly inaccessible for most car buyers, and Apple’s all about being an accessible luxury brand. So we’re probably talking a luxury electric car in the $40,000 range? There COULD be a market for that (since it undersells Tesla), but it’s probably not the size of market Apple wants to operate in.

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
Why are people bringing up the iPhone as a representation of what the possible Apple car may be?

Apple already made iPods, computers, browsers, it was just a phone they hadn’t put to market before.

This is a whole car. The majority of the car is not going to be an element they’ve ever ventured in: car mechanics, physical comfort, ride handling, seat softness, etc. How many large car manufacturers make poorly handling cars? How long does it take well known car manufacturers to get the best version of a car to market?

This isn’t a walk in the park like an iPhone. Anyone who keeps trying to use that analogy are blind.

Last edited:

kc9hzn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2020
So are all those screens still just a phone projection, or is iOS actually built into the car, and then your phone sets your configuration?
CarPlay, even the current version, is a bit of both (well, except it’s not iOS, but firmware running on the in-car entertainment system that handles the back end stuff CarPlay needs). It’s software running on the car but also software running on the phone. For developers, they don’t have to deal with the car hardware aspect (though there are APIs for allowing them to interact with the car when needed, especially in CarPlay 2), they can treat their app as if it’s just running on the phone. But it isn’t just AirPlay mirroring for in-car entertainment systems, the in car entertainment system does seem to be executing code and doing some manner of heavy lifting.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
you need someway to charge though. My experience is that Carplay, specifically navigation, drains battery quickly. So it would need to be plugged in regardless. Wireless charging is an option assuming you can get enough juice to charge or maintain.

It is super easy to connect to a USB cigarette lighter, or use a 2 lightning port dongle, or use a USB battery...

iphonehype

Contributor
Sep 14, 2012
I remember Nokia CEO not taking iPhone seriously. Apple is a major threat to all most technology companies.

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
It's funny listening to CEO's who are in a state of denial. Delusional paranoia.
I’m pretty sure he’s right though.

Why would Apple have bothered to announce the new CarPlay 2 years before it’s being released? Because they want to quiet down the rumours about an Apple Car. As disappointing as it may seem, this is all that’s left of project Titan.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2022
Why are people bringing up the iPhone as a representation of what the possible Apple car may be?

Apple already made iPods, computers, browsers, it was just a phone they hadn’t put to market before.

This is a whole car. The majority of the car is not going to be an element they’ve ever ventured in: car mechanics, physical comfort, ride handling, seat softness, etc. How many large car manufacturers make poorly handling cars? How long does it take we’ll know car manufacturers to get the best version of a car to market?

This isn’t a walk in the park like an iPhone. Anyone who keeps trying to use that ability are blind.
Not to mention the legality of a whole car and the other logistical issues it brings. Apple is notorious for being anti-repair. You really want that in a whole car? There's already countless Apple Car jokes of having to replace the whole car if it gets one flat tire or a fender bender.

Plus let's not forget the rumored Apple Car is self driving which don't even get me started on the nightmare that will cause. Tesla's Autopilot already has a killcount to it. If that happens with Apple Car, the feds are gonna be cracking down on Apple harder than they are right now. Fully self driving forget it. That will never be street legal as no governing body will trust it especially after the Tesla death toll.

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021

Why would Apple have bothered to announce the new CarPlay 2 years before it’s being released? Because they want to quiet down the rumours about an Apple Car. As disappointing as it may seem, this is all that’s left of project Titan.
Maybe? But I'm sure Tim wants to drive out in style on Apples next big iPhone moment.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011

Nobody knows for sure. I could just as easily say existing car makers aren’t going to give up their entire dashboard to Apple. I’m not a fan of what Apple showed off at WWDC and I’ll be very surprised if it actually comes to market. People want some physical controls in their car. They don’t want just a touch screen. I have an older car where I replaced the radio with a CarPlay unit. That’s touch for the most part but all my climate controls are still buttons and I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.