Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Streaming movie and TV service VUDU has officially launched as an app on the fourth-generation Apple TV, allowing users to stream their collection of UltraViolet movies, as well as over 4,000 free "Movies on Us" titles, natively on Apple TV.

As expected, the VUDU Player app on Apple TV is limited in one respect -- users can't rent or buy any movie or TV show directly from Apple TV, so they'll first have to add content to their collection elsewhere before navigating to Apple TV in order to view it.

vudu-player-apple-tv.jpg
The Vudu Player for Apple TV lets you play over 4,000 free Movies On Us titles, as well as your existing Vudu collection, natively on 4th generation Apple TVs with tvOS 10. And the Vudu Player is the first (and only - just want to reiterate that) player that gives you access to your UltraViolet digital locker on Apple TV (#humblebrag).
Additional features include Siri voice search to find content within your VUDU collection, and a wishlist where users can add any title to save for later, and view on any platform that VUDU is available on. Users on Reddit noted that there is no integration with Apple's TV app.

The official launch of the VUDU Player app for Apple TV comes after rumblings about the app began in March, and then last week a report by Variety confirmed its release date of August 22.

For anyone without a VUDU account, the company encourages new users to head to its signup page to create a free account before launching the Apple TV app, since Apple's App Store guidelines prevent it from adding a sign up option within the app. On the web, users can browse, rent, and buy over 100,000 titles, link an existing UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere account, and then sync everything with their Apple TV app to view their collection on Apple's fourth-generation set-top box.

Article Link: VUDU App Officially Launches on Apple TV

Dougntosh

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2015
Detroit

Streaming movie and TV service VUDU has officially launched as an app on the fourth-generation Apple TV, allowing users to stream their collection of UltraViolet movies, as well as over 4,000 free "Movies on Us" titles, natively on Apple TV.

As expected, the VUDU Player app on Apple TV is limited in one respect -- users can't rent or buy any movie or TV show directly from Apple TV, so they'll first have to add content to their collection elsewhere before navigating to Apple TV in order to view it.

vudu-player-apple-tv.jpg
Additional features include Siri voice search to find content within your VUDU collection, and a wishlist where users can add any title to save for later, and view on any platform that VUDU is available on. Users on Reddit noted that there is no integration with Apple's TV app.

The official launch of the VUDU Player app for Apple TV comes after rumblings about the app began in March, and then last week a report by Variety confirmed its release date of August 22.

For anyone without a VUDU account, the company encourages new users to head to its signup page to create a free account before launching the Apple TV app, since Apple's App Store guidelines prevent it from adding a sign up option within the app. On the web, users can browse, rent, and buy over 100,000 titles, link an existing UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere account, and then sync everything with their Apple TV app to view their collection on Apple's fourth-generation set-top box.

Article Link: VUDU App Officially Launches on Apple TV
STOP WASTING OUT EYES. BRING ON AMAZON TV!

Reactions: ksnell and tonyr6

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
Typical Apple..."We'll let you watch your VUDU content, but you can't rent or buy it from OUR device!". I guess negotiations with Walmart for Apple to get a piece of the every VUDU rental or purchase must have fallen through.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Typical Apple..."We'll let you watch your VUDU content, but you can't rent or buy it from OUR device!". I guess negotiations with Walmart for Apple to get a piece of the every VUDU rental or purchase must have fallen through.

This is exactly what the vudu app is on iOS, and it's been there for YEARS

no reason it should've taken too long but I'm definitely not complaining now that it's finally here

Reactions: willmtaylor

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
VUDU movies have Dolby Digital Plus, and sound louder/fuller than movies from the iTunes Store. It will be interesting to see if this is an encoding thing, or if it's the AppleTV 4.

For example, the opening of John Wick 2 played on VUDU thru my TV app sounds incredibly loud, full and dynamic. Same movie thru AppleTV sounds tepid.

I much prefer the interface of the AppleTV, but the sound quality of iTunes movies thru ATV4 leaves a lot to be desired. Tonight I can play same content on same device thru different services, and see where the issue is.

Reactions: enigmatut

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

no reason it should've taken too long but I'm definitely not complaining now that it's finally here

It's the same with the Amazon Video app, you can watch Prime or previously purchased content, but you can't buy new content (you can add it to your watchlist, to make the purchase outside of the app).
[doublepost=1503404371][/doublepost]What I'd like to see soon is Vudu content integrated into the global search and the TV app.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

Only thing I can think of is they were waiting for a 4K AppleTV which as we all know is rumored to be around the corner.

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Great, now just Amazon and a 4k HDR Apple TV and we are done here.

Modernboy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

More likely, as is the case with Amazon on iOS, VUDU doesn't want to give Apple a cut so they make you pay on their website.

Reactions: garylapointe

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
VUDU movies have Dolby Digital Plus, and sound louder/fuller than movies from the iTunes Store. It will be interesting to see if this is an encoding thing, or if it's the AppleTV 4.

For example, the opening of John Wick 2 played on VUDU thru my TV app sounds incredibly loud, full and dynamic. Same movie thru AppleTV sounds tepid.

I much prefer the interface of the AppleTV, but the sound quality of iTunes movies thru ATV4 leaves a lot to be desired. Tonight I can play same content on same device thru different services, and see where the issue is.

Make sure you have the Best Available option selected in Audio settings to get the DD+ to come though. Although the ATV4 has always been flaky with audio.

mlabonte21

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2015

I picked up Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on iTunes this week and it features Dolby Digital Plus 7.1

My guess is it will be standard on most new releases going forward.

The back catalogue, is probably at the studios' discretion, I assume.

With their efforts towards things like iTunes extras, I wouldn't hold my breath for the near future...

Juicy Box

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
Although the ATV4 has always been flaky with audio.

My experience as well.

I could be watching a movie, pause the movie for 5 seconds, then play it again and the volume is significantly louder.

It happens so often that if I need to turn up the volume, I always pause/play before touching the volume buttons.

Reactions: CaneCollegeboy

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Well I loved my evening last night, installed vudu on my Apple TV and watched Over the Top with Stallone. It was pretty awesome to just load up 1 device instead of having to open the app on my ipad/phone and airplay it. Not that it's to difficult to do that but I find myself watching more of my iTunes films then airplay. I basically use airplay for my own video edits or photo play back. Either way, it's not perfect but I like the progress here.. better late then never.

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
Make sure you have the Best Available option selected in Audio settings to get the DD+ to come though. Although the ATV4 has always been flaky with audio.

I just tried the start of Mission Impossible Rogue Nation and the Vudu app sounds louder than itunes with Audio set to max and DD+.

Its good to see the App work really good but i think i i will stick with Native App on my Samsung TV because it supports 4k.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I refuse to buy things like movies on these platforms with stupid names like VUDU. I mean, who is more likely to be around in 20 years: VUDU or Apple? Yeah, that's why I buy stuff from Apple. I don't want to have to download and use some third party app that will break when the service shuts down. Apple will probably also provide some sort of pathway to upgrading movies to 4K as well (I did a quick search and it seems like VUDU doesn't allow upgrades to 4K, you have to spend the full $30).

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I dont care about the server's relationship with their landlord; I care about the cook and my food. The AppleTV is nothing more than the mall with the flashiest fountain and nicest service desk.

I don't care about VUDU. I care about movies. Not all movies, just the one I want to watch. That's what apple was supposed to fix. What happened to making it about my content? Scrap the apps, cause they all suck, and release APIs that let us integrate content into one location. It's what the first gen Apple TV proposed. Now it's just a Roku.

Reactions: hipnetic

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I dont care about the server's relationship with their landlord; I care about the cook and my food. The AppleTV is nothing more than the mall with the flashiest fountain and nicest service desk.

I don't care about VUDU. I care about movies. Not all movies, just the one I want to watch. That's what apple was supposed to fix. What happened to making it about my content? Scrap the apps, cause they all suck, and release APIs that let us integrate content into one location. It's what the first gen Apple TV proposed. Now it's just a Roku.

The TV app integrates content into one app

Reactions: garylapointe

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
I refuse to buy things like movies on these platforms with stupid names like VUDU. I mean, who is more likely to be around in 20 years: VUDU or Apple? Yeah, that's why I buy stuff from Apple. I don't want to have to download and use some third party app that will break when the service shuts down. Apple will probably also provide some sort of pathway to upgrading movies to 4K as well (I did a quick search and it seems like VUDU doesn't allow upgrades to 4K, you have to spend the full $30).

VUDU is owned by Walmart. They are not going anywhere. VUDU let’s you convert physical copies of movies into digital ones for a price. Now that VUDU plays on Apple TV it’s great competition, heck they even offer free movies with ads something Apple currently does not.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
So you don't actually need the app, or is it just a launcher for the other apps?

It was Apple's attempt to consolidate multiple apps into one area. You still need the app. Problem is, that unless everyone is on board and allows access in the TV app, it's a mixed bag. Netflix for example isn't included.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015

Maybe you should have conducted a little more research into Vudu and Ultraviolet. It's also pretty funny you ding Vudu for not offering lower priced upgrades to 4K because you think Apple will at some point in the future. You can't make this stuff up.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
It was Apple's attempt to consolidate multiple apps into one area. You still need the app. Problem is, that unless everyone is on board and allows access in the TV app, it's a mixed bag. Netflix for example isn't included.

How Droidy.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

You always run the risk buying digitally. Most of Vudu is UV enabled - so even if Vudu were to go under, you still maintain the rights to the title you purchased (in theory). But even the future of UV is hazy right now.

And I'm pretty sure it's not Vudu making you buy the 4K versions again. All pricing and rules are controlled by the studios - they are the ones that will always screw you.

Reactions: KazKam
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.