VZW LTE is a scam?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sulpfiction, Mar 25, 2012.

1. sulpfiction, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I know this has been talked about around here but I hadn't experienced it. Today I activated LTE on my iPad. I literally did 2 (impressive) speed tests, and then I was on MR for a total of 5 minutes. I read a few posts and sent 1 reply. After that I went in and checked my data usage and saw that I had received 28mb and sent 8. This cannot be correct, can it? I've had my 4S since launch and i just hit the 2 gig mark. I don't understand it.

My question is...Can Verizon control how the "cellular usage" tab in settings displays data usage? Or is that recorded by the actual amount of data coming in and going out of the device? Is there any other apps u can recommend to track actual data usage. It's not a huge deal for me as I don't think I'll hit 2gig anyway (I'm just about always in wifi). But these cell companies are scum bags and I want to be sure that I'm not getting ripped off anymore then I already am.

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

3. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Nah... I literally just activated it 1hour ago. Just thought it was strange that it sucked up 28mb in the first 5 mins. Ive been browsing for the past 30 mins on MR, FB, etc. and i am still under 30mb. So maybe the initial activation was to blame.

4. batotman macrumors 6502

I'm so glad that your one hour of usage has been enough to claim VZW LTE is a scam. :rolleyes:

5. lascott macrumors member

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Each speed test downloads 10MB of data so if you did a couple of tests that would explain the usage.

I use MyDataUsage app and it seems to be very accurate.

7. ea9 macrumors regular

8. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

That's why I posted. I wanted to see if that seemed normal. I didn't know speed tests take 10mb. I did 2 so that would explain it.

The title of my post should have had a question mark at the end of it. I'm not calling it a scam, I'm asking if it's a scam.

But like I said, I've been browsing for about 30-40 minutes since I've posted and have yet to hit 30. So I feel a little better. I'm new to capped cellular data on the iPad...and Verizon as well. So I'm just trying to figure it all out. My iPhone has yet to hit 2gig total and I've had it since launch. So 30mb in less then 5 mins of web browsing scared me a bit.

----------

Since I mentioned the 2 speed tests I dont think I forgot about them:rolleyes:. What I didn't know was that they are 10mb each. Learn something new everyday.

9. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

And yet not knowing for sure didn't stop you from calling them a scam before you have all the facts.

Nice.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

So your question is whether your usage is normal, not that you think Verizon is scamming people?

Kind of a sensationalistic title for a pretty mundane question. You in the news business perchance?

11. drpthemc macrumors member

I thought the same way at first until I realized speed test uses a lot of data.

I made the mistake by running speed test like 10 times within an hour -_- .... Yea

12. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

You should be aware by now that there are no government standards on 4G LTE. Each wireless provider has the freedom to set up and maintain it anyway they see fit. Until the government steps in and regulates it much the way they do the pharmaceutical, produce, and meat industries, there will always be inconsistencies among providers and even day to day usage.

13. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Also your phone will be using much less data compared to the iPad because of the screen size.

14. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If u read the quote of mine u posted u would have noticed that I wasn't calling it a scam, I was asking. I've read numerous posts saying the exact same thing. And when I saw the 30mb in 5 minutes I didn't think it was realistic. It turned out to be the speed tests, but I didn't know they suck up 10mb each.

Just for the record, VZW, and all other carriers are a scam. That's not news, is it?

15. eq2675 macrumors regular

Testing LTE at speedtest.net takes a ton of data. I was shocked myself.

16. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

In general this is absolutely untrue. One of the only cases in which this could be true is if you're streaming video, and you're watching a higher resolution video on your iPad than your iPhone. Or if you're downloading an iPad-only version of an app since it has higher-resolution graphics.

Otherwise, your e-mail, web browsing, music streaming, speed tests, etc. use the exact same amount of data regardless of the device.

17. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

The speedtest app definitely uses a lot of data. On android, it uses 20MB per test. :eek:

18. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

On the Speedtest.net app for the iPhone data use on average is 8.1 MB per test and on the iPad it is on average 10.3 MB per test. Both using the same server etc.

19. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

It would be nice if the carrier which you're using would have a FREE (no data consumption) speed test app that you could use. Other than streaming video and music, the speed tests probably use more data that anything.

20. taedouni macrumors 65816

Are you seriously complaining ? When you use speed test it rates how fast you download data and how fast you upload it. Obviously it's going to consume data. That's actually minimal amount of data.

----------

Ya that way people would consume 2GB a month on speed tests.....

21. skestes macrumors member

That's called a Cavuto mark actually. :D

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/the-question-mark-the-cavuto_b11422

22. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Then don't run speed tests frequently over cellular data. To be honest, you don't need to know that your LTE connection is currently running at 35Mbit speeds instead of 5Mbit. You should be able to get a general idea of how your speeds are running just by browsing.

Of course, what would REALLY be nice would be if carriers continued to offer unlimited data plans. But whatever, I've got mine and I'm holding on to it.

23. MR1324 macrumors 6502

You will eat through your data plan fast, no doubt about it. With the release of the new iPad, normal people are starting to see what an issue data caps are.

24. batotman macrumors 6502

Not necessarily. The iPhone loads mobile sites. The iPad loads the tablet site. Try CNN on your iPhone and then your iPad. Big difference.

25. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Really?
    Look I don't want to get in an argument here but you thread title is pretty conclusive of what you said and how it can be interpreted.