VZW unlimited Data Woe's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsf721, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I have 3 lines in my family with Unlimited Data. I have been paying full price for iphones. Two are on 4S's and I am on a 5. I am more than happy with my 5 and plan on keeping it.

The 4S are slower and the battery is acting wacky. No more apple care or warranty obviously.

I need to get 2 new phones and my issue is that if i don't pay full price I loose unlimited data.

Right now these 3 phones use 5 gigs of data per month total. I can get a 10 gig plan and save 70 bucks a month now.

My issue is I know the newer phones will be able to shred data faster and faster. I think that is why Verizon want everyone off unlimited.

When we are on vacation we stream music and movies and that can push up to 10 gig in a month easy. That is only one or 2 months a year that the usage spikes.

Any suggestions. Craigslist is not a real option becasue after I factor the wasted time with BS, i saved little

I am hoping for some suggestins or data rationalizations.

Thanks

2. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Verizon still allows subsidized pricing even with unlimited customers. There is a loophole in in the system which they plan on keeping. I would recommend searching the forums, I remember seem thread about this.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

So doing the math in my head, if you went with the 10 gig plan you'd save $840 per year. You could go over by 4GB every month and still save $120 per year compared to what you're paying now.

As for the amount of data used, when I switched from my 4G iPhone 4s on AT&T to a phone with LTE, my data usage didn't go up by much at all. I made a conscious decision to start streaming most of my music and actually USE the data I'm paying for, and now I get close to my 2GB limit.

In the end, it's really up to you, but paying full price for phones or buying used phones on craigslist just isn't worth it for me.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

That loophole has been shut down. OP has to spend time on CL and pay $$$ for phones.

5. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

The OP could also just increase his data allowance for those two months out of the year, and then bring it back down to 10GB the rest of the time.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This is why children, you never jump ship to the carrier which is known gouge customers the most and fail to offer talk+data.

There is a reason why AT&T has been able to keep all those customers that didn't switch, even when the Verizon gates opened.

Oh and by the way, AT&T does not have stupid restrictions like "abandon your unlimited plan if you wish for subsidized phones" in place. They never have nor will they ever will. AT&T does honor their grandfathered plans.

7. ssdaytona macrumors regular

^ well, I have both carrier's unlimited data plans. I may be dumping my verizon plans though.

Verizon:
    Pro's. Truly unlimited data, unthrottled, ability to add mobile hotspot feature.

Con's. Data is slow, no data connectivity sometimes in big cities, no simultaneous talk and data on iPhones. No upgradability (loopholes do exist)

ATT:
    Pro's. Fast data, ability to upgrade with subsidized pricing, slightly cheaper plans (not a big difference)

Con's: No mobile hotspot feature.

so, in the end, choose the carrier that is the lesser of two evils. ATT has less negatives.

8. kjay80 macrumors regular

Have you acutally used Verizon's LTE??? It is superfast and covers in nationwide more than anybody.

9. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

My wife has Verizon and I'll agree, she has more coverage and the speed is comparable to my AT&T LTE.

On the flip side, AT&T seems to be quickly expanding their LTE network. Additionally, when she does fall back to 3G and I still have my AT&T "4G" I come out WAAAY ahead.

10. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Could pay for an out of warranty replacement though apple I think.

11. Jades macrumors 6502

Hahaha funny one. Come try it in NYC and see how "great" it is

Seriously speaking though, keep in mind that if your upgrading from a 4s to an LTE device, there's no question that even more data is going to be used. LTE is quicker, when it works, and it will give those two users the ability to go way past the 5 GB that they already use

They need to be forced on wifi or threaten them to cut off their phone if they abuse the data. There's no other way around it.

12. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

You're mistaken. The loophole that was closed was the only loophole that ever existed. And that was obtaining an unlimited plan after they had been discontinued for new customers.

Assuming the unlimited lines are eligible for upgrades, what OP can do, is attach a spare verizon phone to his family plan as a month to month device.

He will then have the following:

Line A - unlimited (upgrade eligible)
    Line B - unlimited (upgrade eligible)
    Line C - unlimited (upgrade eligible)
    Line D - basic phone or non-unlimited smart phone

He can then transfer the upgrades (through the verizon website) from like A to line D. Activate the device on line D, and then move it over to line A. This will extend the contract on line A but will NOT drop unlimited. This is called an alternate upgrade. And then rinse and repeat with B and C.

It's not the renewal of the contract that causes the loss of unlimited, it's the activation of a newly subsidized device (that has not been previously activated) on a line with unlimited.

And that's not even all your options. Give this a read:

http://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/1mc8v7/the_new_improved_update_guide_on_how_to_keep_your/

13. ssdaytona macrumors regular

seriously, I have both active right now. In a big city, ATT is much faster. Verizon LTE is better when it comes to rural coverage.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Isn't NYC one of Verizon's strong cities in terms of network reliability and coverage?

15. Jades macrumors 6502

That's what I thought. I concluded that they are only strong when it comes to voice. Well, until voice over LTE comes out, unless they fix their issues with coverage. I switched to AT&T in May and I am surprised how much less issue there are. Also a quick google search of "verizon lte NYC" will show similar experiences

When I had verizon, most of the time when I went indoors my coverage would fall back to 3G or I would just have 1-2 bars of useless LTE

Not that I care as long as the service works - but I never ever had full service. Only reason I am pointing that out is to show that either they have much fewer LTE sites or they don't use full power on their sites. This explained why customers had issues anytime I went indoors

I've posted here and other forums and other users confirmed similar issues. I don't think verizon is going to be considered another AT&T back in 2009 until they release voice over LTE and everyone starts complaining about dropped calls and useless indoor service. Only then will they bother to fix up the issue

In the middle of Times Square, all the other carriers have full service, usable service but not the fastest. Verizon- one bar, useless

Same goes for many tourist areas. Outside (and inside) of macys 34th street, same story.

It gets annoying when it comes to meeting up with customers and friends and trying to send them those "where are you" texts

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Relating to this story. I went to NYC in December on my 4S (end of 2012). I thought that (according to the public outcry) my 3G service would be horrible and voice would be nonexistent.

However I was very surprised when I always showed full bars and a strong+reliable 4Mb/s speed on 3G.

I called and each call went through without a hitch and I didn't experience any dropped calls.

I am thinking AT&T really stepped up their game and built a very strong backhual for their LTE network which in turn helped their 3G network as well.

17. jassco2 macrumors newbie

Verizon will give you 6gb limit if you drop the unlimited. Still $30 per line a month. I got my 5s on subsidy. The only let you do this if you stay on old plans. Ask the store about it.

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

Verizon LTE network has become very congested and the speeds have slowed greatly since they first started rolling it out. It won't be until they start adding in their AWS spectrum to increase capacity before the speeds start to get back up there again in large markets like NYC. Unfortunately none of the current iPhones support that spectrum so iPhone users will have to upgrade once verizon finally rolls it out.

19. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Both the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S support band 4 which Verizon is deploying their layer of AWS LTE on.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Doesn't AT&T have some AWS band as well? Unluckily for AT&T, T-Mobile wasn't purchasable, that would have brought almost all the AWS and 2100MHz bands with them.

21. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

They do. However, I don't believe they have two continuous 20mhz blocks of spectrum to deploy 2x20mhz LTE at the moment. It might have to wait until they start shutting down their older networks so that can be refarmed for LTE use, or by that time, LTE Advanced.

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I do believe AT&T said they plan to kill their 2G/2.5G/2.75G networks (GSM, GPRS and EGDE for those wondering) soon and use that tasty 800MHz license to move LTE to and move the current LTE in the higher bands. Also, use those open higher bands for an enhanced back fall to 3G/3.5G.

All of this is supposed to start in mid-2014.

23. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

It has already started in some areas. People in NYC are seeing an extra 2x5 slice of 1900 spectrum of LTE up recently.

Parts of Vermont have LTE going live right now on 850. This is done by turning down the EDGE network.

24. vistadude macrumors 65816

$70 savings is pretty significant, and it sounds like it would be more savings on most months. I would keep one phone with unlimited and switch the other 2 phones over to a new plan, or switch all the 3 phones over to a new plan. For the vacations where you need more data, get a tablet with LTE and use the hotspot feature to buy a few extra GB.

25. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Um , they do offer talk +data

Plus Verizon also has the largest 4G network =fact