Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
"Verizon said that customers making single payments online"

So in other words, single payments by credit card.

So they are charging extra for credit card payments.

Which is illegal (at least in California) unless you're a government agency.

Next up... occupy Verizon.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
C'mon guys IT'S JUST $2.
That's 2 bags of chips.
And you guys are complaining about 2 pieces of cotton? :confused:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
C'mon guys IT'S JUST $2.
That's 2 bags of chips.

Yeah, but if every company starts with these bs fees, it can add up after a while. Its also a principal thing...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
C'mon guys IT'S JUST $2.
That's 2 bags of chips.

$2 = $12 per year = $24 per contract. Keep your VZW contract for 20 years = $240. Yeah, it's not a lot of money, but as it was already said, it's the principal of it, and it's money out of your pocket nonetheless.

This reminds me of the airlines, trying to nickel and dime us to death for every little thing.

I sure hope AT&T doesn't start this junk too.

Last edited:

rockman0

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I used to love Verizon's service, but they're starting to get unreasonable. I'm thinking of dropping them when my contract is up. I can get an iPhone from just about anywhere, and LTE will be more readily available soon. What's keeping me with them?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
"Verizon said that customers making single payments online"

So in other words, single payments by credit card.

So they are charging extra for credit card payments.
I don't think so.

They aren't charging you extra to pay with your credit card, if you pay your bill in their stores.
They aren't charging you extra to pay with your credit card, if you pay your bill with auto-pay.

So they're not discriminating against paying with credit cards.

As crappy as this is, there's a difference between a surcharge (which this isn't, since they offer you ways to pay with a credit card without a fee) and a convenience fee (which this appears to be).

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
Yes... Please sign me up for auto pay...

The last company I let use auto pay was my lawn care service. Usually 29 per week but one time they out in the date instead of the amount. $1018 was taken from my bank. It didn't take them long to fix, but that's a local business. Dealing with corporate Verizon would take much longer I'd guess.

I don't have Verizon wireless, but I do have fios. I'm assuming this will apply to that bill payment as well.

----------

$2 = $12 per year = $24 per contract. Keep your VZW contract for 20 years = $240. Yeah, it's not a lot of money, but it as was already said, it's the principal of it is money out of your pocket nonetheless.

This reminds me of the airlines, trying to nickel and dime us to death for every little thing.

I sure hope AT&T doesn't start this junk too.

Double that ;)

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I have a feeling that all cell phone companies are going to start doing this. I read somewhere though that if you pay online using your checking account instead of a debit or credit card they won't charge the $2? Wonder if that is true?

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I think this is the bottom of the barrel for Verizon. HOW can a web payment cost them MORE than sending out paper bills?? They are already benefitting from customers making payments via their website. This is outrageous!!! ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

How can loyal customers be reamed so dispicablyl??

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Okay, a couple things:

1- It's just $2!

That $2 is one of dozens of hidden and unnecessary fees instituted (including rate hikes, cellphone service plans are among the highest profit margins in the world. This is simply a 'straw that broke the camels back' situation, where we need to stand up and say NO, and remind these companies that capitalism votes with the dollar, and we'll take it elsewhere.

2- Just use automatic bill pay!

Well, if your like me, you don't keep alot in your checking account. I keep most of my money in a savings account, where it earns the best interest. I then tke out a little at a time as I need it. So, if the bill is higher than usual, it actually is possible I could go overdraft. Granted, with my bank, you have 3 days to replenish the funds and then there are no fees, but it's still a HASSLE. And finally, as someone else mentioned, what if you need to dispute your bill? I'm with AT&T, and they are notorious for sneaking in little fees. Then there's spam that gets put on there, once I got a text from some sort of 'text yes to receive free message tones for $19.99 a month', well I deleted the message apparently ignoring it let them put the item on your bill, so that was an hour phone call to AT&T to dispute it. Imagine if it was auto-pay and they already had my money? I'd never get it back.

And finally, as far as justification, here's what I've got to say;

These HUGE, multi- BILLION dollar banking corporations claim to need to add all sorts of fees to 'cover their costs'. I call bull. They need to add these fees because, due to the recession, they are earning less PROFITS than previously (not losing money, just not making as much), and that makes shareholders unhappy. Shareholders are gonna really be unhappy when the bank has no clients. Anyway, I live in a small rural town, and there's a little bank that's been here since the 1930's. It's small, it's family owned, it has 3 locations, pretty simple. I still have online bill-pay, I can manage my accounts online, move money between accounts, I have a debit mastercard through them, you name it. I have just about everything you can get from any of the big banks (except maybe an iPhone app or a bazillion locations). This bank has NEVER charged me a fee EVER. To open my accounts were free, they don't charge me for those accounts, I still have my original box of checks from years ago (I never write checks), which they gave me for free, and when I had to replace my debit card because it had worn out and become unreadable, it was free.

Know how they're making their money? Like a bank should, lending. I was so impressed with how awesome the banks customer service was and how little hidden fees and surprises (aka none) I've had over the years, when I decided to finance a portion of my motorcycle, that's where I went. In and out in a few minutes, they wrote the check, I was on my way. That's something I DO have setup with auto-pay, but that's because it's the exact same amount each month, but then I can make an extra payment online very easily. And, unlike the big banks, there are no fees to make payments, no fees for paying early, and since I'll likely have it paid off a year or so early, it's nice that I didn't go to a big bank and have to pay an early payoff fee.

So, if this little mom and pop bank can do quite well in a little rural town where not alot of people have alot of money, and heck, they are very much 'pay cash or don't buy it' type people so even the lending side of thing must be thin, I don't see why bank of america, verizon, or any of these other massive companies can't survive without these fees!

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I don't entirely like it, but let's be a little bit objective about this before we start drawing too many conclusions.

What's important to consider is that this $2 charge is likely intended to compensate for the fees charged by the credit card companies (usually around 2%) on every transaction. So if my bill is $100 and I pay online with a Visa credit or debit card, Verizon gets $98 and Visa gets $2. For years, most people just paid these bills by check so Verizon didn't have to worry about losing money on credit card transactions, but now the world has changed and people want to pay online with credit cards due to it being more convenient, and subsequently, more and more these credit processing fees are popping up to balance the equation for the billers.

Consider that in 2011, Verizon has approximately 107 million subscribers. Let's be conservative and suggest that just 10% of those subscribers are paying online with credit cards, and let's suggest that they have an average monthly bill of $80 (plenty with more, plenty with less, family plans, yada yada, obviously, just an average here for the sake of example). So for those 10.7 million people paying by credit card each month, Verizon's losing around $17.1 million per month (~$205.4 million per year) so 10% of the subscribers can have the convenience of paying online with a credit card. What's more likely though is that a lot more people are paying online with credit cards now, so that number in actuality is likely far greater.

So what Verizon and other companies are doing is passing the cost of the convenience on to the consumer, while still offering a choice for the consumer to avoid the $2 fee and pay in a manner that doesn't cut 2% out of the transaction for a credit company. It's really not so unreasonable when you consider it from every angle. Again, the consumer still has a choice here to avoid the $2 fee and set up some other form of bill payment. And with most banks offering eChecks now, it can be incredibly convenient to pay countless bills without having to have any extra data stored with billers.

Just remember, it's a $2 convenience fee charge, and paying by card online is a convenience. It's easier than writing a check and until recently, it was easier than eChecks or bank-processed auto-payments. Give Verizon credit for holding out this long. They probably looked at the banking industry and saw that given the progresses in online banking, there's little reason for people not to set up eCheck payments through their banks online services. That way, it's still convenient for the consumer to pay digitally, it minimizes Verizon's liability in that they don't have to manage as much of users sensitive data and it cuts out the credit card processing fees.

And if you still want the "convenience" of paying online with a credit card, you can have it, and it'll cost you $2 a month.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
I disagree with all those people say that "it's just $2." Yeah, it's only $2 ... but why are they doing this now? This hasn't been a problem in the past, so why is it now? It's not even like Verizon is close to filing bankruptcy or something. It's just a scheme to get more money. This hasn't been a problem before and nothing has changed that would make this a problem today. They're not saving any money by having people drop off checks at their store. That will probably cost them more anyways. They're just trying to target the most popular way for paying the bill to hit more people with that $2 fee.

The other BS is that businesses are always promoting "going green" and paying online saying trees AKA a way to save them an added expense for printing and mailing statements. And now to charge for online payments?? You would think going paperless would save money and allow them to absorb the $2 fee they are passing along to consumers.

I hate this. Everytime I log into my AT&T account it keeps asking if I'd like to get rid of paper billing. Every single time I press NO and it always asks me. NO!! So then I go and buy a new phone at the AT&T store and the guy at the store automatically signs me up for paperless billing. WTF. Without asking me if I would like to enroll in it, he did it anyways. He also signed me up to some crap road side assistance, device help service, warranty, AT&T nav, changed me to the most expensive data plan, and so on. I never asked for any of that! :mad: Should've just avoided those bastards and ordered online.

If I don't get my bill in the mail, well too bad for AT&T. I never agreed for paperless billing. Oh, and I'm not paying for that extra crap they added onto my account.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Well, if your like me, you don't keep alot in your checking account. I keep most of my money in a savings account, where it earns the best interest. I then tke out a little at a time as I need it.
So do it! So why not make a little more money?

I have all of my utilities (like my cell phone, cable/internet, electricity, gym, etc) "auto pay" to a no-fee "cash back" credit card. At the end of the month, I pull enough from savings into checkings to pay off that credit card statement.

Seems like my statements arrive in email at least three weeks before the auto-pay is scheduled to take place. Although I've never had a billing issue in the years I've been doing auto pays, should the company that made the error not be responsive about fixing it, it's as easy to deal with as disputing the amount with the credit card company. You're then not required to pay the disputed amount until its corrected (nor will you be charged interest on it, should the matter overlap billing statements).

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I hate this. And before you people say "it's just $2" let me say this...what's to keep them from making it $5, $10, $20 or more? I hope to god the people speak up and don't let Verizon get away with this, I remember there was an uprising not too long ago with the banks trying to charge the same bs when you used your debit card and we got that shot down. Lets do the same here, this is nothing more than the powers that be lining their pocketbooks.

That's the stupidest thing a company can do... charge a customer for trying to pay their bill! That is a perfect example of how greedy corporate America is!

Will companies not learn from Netflix?

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Okay, a couple things:

1- It's just $2!

That $2 is one of dozens of hidden and unnecessary fees instituted (including rate hikes, cellphone service plans are among the highest profit margins in the world. This is simply a 'straw that broke the camels back' situation, where we need to stand up and say NO, and remind these companies that capitalism votes with the dollar, and we'll take it elsewhere.

Well, if your like me, you don't keep alot in your checking account. I keep most of my money in a savings account, where it earns the best interest. I then tke out a little at a time as I need it. So, if the bill is higher than usual, it actually is possible I could go overdraft. Granted, with my bank, you have 3 days to replenish the funds and then there are no fees, but it's still a HASSLE. And finally, as someone else mentioned, what if you need to dispute your bill? I'm with AT&T, and they are notorious for sneaking in little fees. Then there's spam that gets put on there, once I got a text from some sort of 'text yes to receive free message tones for $19.99 a month', well I deleted the message apparently ignoring it let them put the item on your bill, so that was an hour phone call to AT&T to dispute it. Imagine if it was auto-pay and they already had my money? I'd never get it back.

And finally, as far as justification, here's what I've got to say;

These HUGE, multi- BILLION dollar banking corporations claim to need to add all sorts of fees to 'cover their costs'. I call bull. They need to add these fees because, due to the recession, they are earning less PROFITS than previously (not losing money, just not making as much), and that makes shareholders unhappy. Shareholders are gonna really be unhappy when the bank has no clients. Anyway, I live in a small rural town, and there's a little bank that's been here since the 1930's. It's small, it's family owned, it has 3 locations, pretty simple. I still have online bill-pay, I can manage my accounts online, move money between accounts, I have a debit mastercard through them, you name it. I have just about everything you can get from any of the big banks (except maybe an iPhone app or a bazillion locations). This bank has NEVER charged me a fee EVER. To open my accounts were free, they don't charge me for those accounts, I still have my original box of checks from years ago (I never write checks), which they gave me for free, and when I had to replace my debit card because it had worn out and become unreadable, it was free.

Know how they're making their money? Like a bank should, lending. I was so impressed with how awesome the banks customer service was and how little hidden fees and surprises (aka none) I've had over the years, when I decided to finance a portion of my motorcycle, that's where I went. In and out in a few minutes, they wrote the check, I was on my way. That's something I DO have setup with auto-pay, but that's because it's the exact same amount each month, but then I can make an extra payment online very easily. And, unlike the big banks, there are no fees to make payments, no fees for paying early, and since I'll likely have it paid off a year or so early, it's nice that I didn't go to a big bank and have to pay an early payoff fee.

So, if this little mom and pop bank can do quite well in a little rural town where not alot of people have alot of money, and heck, they are very much 'pay cash or don't buy it' type people so even the lending side of thing must be thin, I don't see why bank of america, verizon, or any of these other massive companies can't survive without these fees!

1) I agree that the fundamental system is flawed and the bills are ridiculous, but this issue has to do with a certain segment of users taking a sizable chunk out of Verizon's bottom line because they want the convenience of paying with a credit card. See my post above and you might see that it's not so cut and dry. If you ignore the already absurdly high profits for a moment and just assess the situation from a standpoint of ideals (just hear me out...), more money coming in to Verizon would seemingly allow for Verizon to do a better job of maintaining their network. But if all subscribers are paying the same amount for a bill while Verizon is forced to lose significant amounts of money on the bills for certain users who want the convenience of paying with a credit card, you could pose an argument that it is unfair to the subscribers that aren't paying by credit card. They're losing out on a better network because Verizon has to pay Visa and Mastercard instead of network engineers and contractors. A stretch? Sure, but do you see why this is somewhat of a reasonable issue?

2)

a) Have you heard of linking your checking account to your savings account? It's very easy to do and I've never run across a bank who doesn't allow you to do this in order to avoid overdraft fees. However, I would advise you to document the fact that you linked the accounts, as I've had an experience in the past in which a certain bank for seemingly no reason and without warning unlinked my savings and checking account. I was able to get the matter taken care of because I was able to provide proof that the bank had previously linked my accounts.

b) You don't have to use auto-pay necessarily. Many banks now offer the ability to send eChecks. It's just as easy if not easier than paying online with a credit card. I do most of my banking with Chase now, and once you set up billers (which is a fairly simple one time process), you can pay bills online or with the Chase app via eCheck whenever you choose. While you need to allow a day for processing, it's still far faster and safer than an actual check, and the process is incredibly convenient from my experience with Chase and PNC as well. There are no fees for this on our side or Verizon's side. It's a win-win when all factors are considered.

3) I agree with your perspective on the big picture. The fact of the matter is that the banking system much like the government and education and business and real estate and anything under the sun in this world right now is a huge mess. There's no doubt about it. But right now it is what it is and like it or not, running a huge bank or corporation is simply not as simple as running a small bank or local small business. A small business could never launch a nationwide cellular network, but people in a small town still want it. Part of the cost of having it is dealing with a great deal of corporate BS. I'm all about the idea of living in, supporting and being supported by a 2-3 square mile community. It'd solve so many problems if we could start thinking more locally again, but it's as much of a cultural problem as a corporate problem at this point. We all want the simplicity of it and the nationwide, ever-connected advantages too. It's real touch to have both coexist elegantly, quite obviously. Again, hopefully someone figures it out but until then, you've got to stay somewhat objective and not get too riled up about the little things.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I don't entirely like it, but let's be a little bit objective about this before we start drawing too many conclusions.

What's important to consider is that this $2 charge is likely intended to compensate for the fees charged by the credit card companies (usually around 2%) on every transaction. So if my bill is $100 and I pay online with a Visa credit or debit card, Verizon gets $98 and Visa gets $2. For years, most people just paid these bills by check so Verizon didn't have to worry about losing money on credit card transactions, but now the world has changed and people want to pay online with credit cards due to it being more convenient, and subsequently, more and more these credit processing fees are popping up to balance the equation for the billers.

Consider that in 2011, Verizon has approximately 107 million subscribers. Let's be conservative and suggest that just 10% of those subscribers are paying online with credit cards, and let's suggest that they have an average monthly bill of $80 (plenty with more, plenty with less, family plans, yada yada, obviously, just an average here for the sake of example). So for those 10.7 million people paying by credit card each month, Verizon's losing around $17.1 million per month (~$205.4 million per year) so 10% of the subscribers can have the convenience of paying online with a credit card. What's more likely though is that a lot more people are paying online with credit cards now, so that number in actuality is likely far greater.

So what Verizon and other companies are doing is passing the cost of the convenience on to the consumer, while still offering a choice for the consumer to avoid the $2 fee and pay in a manner that doesn't cut 2% out of the transaction for a credit company. It's really not so unreasonable when you consider it from every angle. Again, the consumer still has a choice here to avoid the $2 fee and set up some other form of bill payment. And with most banks offering eChecks now, it can be incredibly convenient to pay countless bills without having to have any extra data stored with billers.

Just remember, it's a $2 convenience fee charge, and paying by card online is a convenience. It's easier than writing a check and until recently, it was easier than eChecks or bank-processed auto-payments. Give Verizon credit for holding out this long. They probably looked at the banking industry and saw that given the progresses in online banking, there's little reason for people not to set up eCheck payments through their banks online services. That way, it's still convenient for the consumer to pay digitally, it minimizes Verizon's liability in that they don't have to manage as much of users sensitive data and it cuts out the credit card processing fees.

And if you still want the "convenience" of paying online with a credit card, you can have it, and it'll cost you $2 a month.

It's not the cost of convenience that should be passed on to us, its the cost of doing business that Verizon should take out of their profits.

In today's day and age of the Internet/smart phones, I would say the majority pay their bill electronically?

If I had Verizon, I would cancel my service just like I did Netflix! Ask Netflix and their shareholders if canceling my service got my point across!

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I disagree with all those people say that "it's just $2." Yeah, it's only $2 ... but why are they doing this now? This hasn't been a problem in the past, so why is it now? It's not even like Verizon is close to filing bankruptcy or something. It's just a scheme to get more money. This hasn't been a problem before and nothing has changed that would make this a problem today. They're not saving any money by having people drop off checks at their store. That will probably cost them more anyways. They're just trying to target the most popular way for paying the bill to hit more people with that $2 fee.

I hate this. Everytime I log into my AT&T account it keeps asking if I'd like to get rid of paper billing. Every single time I press NO and it always asks me. NO!! So then I go and buy a new phone at the AT&T store and the guy at the store automatically signs me up for paperless billing. WTF. Without asking me if I would like to enroll in it, he did it anyways. He also signed me up to some crap road side assistance, device help service, warranty, AT&T nav, changed me to the most expensive data plan, and so on. I never asked for any of that! :mad: Should've just avoided those bastards and ordered online.

If I don't get my bill in the mail, well too bad for AT&T. I never agreed for paperless billing. Oh, and I'm not paying for that extra crap they added onto my account.

It's been a problem for years, and it increases each year as more and more people pay online with credit cards, but also, there hasn't been a good solution until more recently. Now that the banks have refined their own online banking systems, it's much easier for people to setup electronic payments through their bank. It's just as simple if not simpler than paying online with a credit card, but it's safer, more reliable and it cuts out the credit processing fees that Verizon has been swallowing for years. Idealistic or not, I'd like to think that it's at least somewhat possible that hundreds of millions of dollars per year could go towards improving the network as opposed to being sent of straight to Visa or Mastercard.

kkurtev

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I hope Verizon realize what happen to Bank of America and their $5 debit card usage fee....
Anyway that's one more reason why I never will be Verizon customer!

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
It's not the cost of convenience that should be passed on to us, its the cost of doing business that Verizon should take out of their profits.

In today's day and age of the Internet/smart phones, I would say the majority pay their bill electronically?

If I had Verizon, I would cancel my service just like I did Netflix! Ask Netflix and their shareholders if canceling my service got my point across!

And Verizon has taken it out of their profits for years now. But with people increasingly paying online with credit cards, those hits to the bottom line are getting bigger and bigger.

And again, "today's day and age" is everything. Today more than a year ago and infinitely more than five years ago, it's incredibly easy to set up electronic payments through your bank that function just like a check. It eliminates the fees Verizon is paying to process credit cards and it's actually safer for us. Again, it's one less database processing and potentially storing our credit card information. And again, depending on your bank, it's simpler than ever to set this stuff up and pay bills whenever you want. It's not instant, but it's pretty fast. The only people that would be hurt by this would be those paying their bills on the due date. In that case, I don't think it's so unreasonable to swallow a $2 fee to pay instantly online with a credit card.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
Sure, it's easy to set up online bill pay through the bank - which lets me know that the money's been deducted from my account. What it DOESN'T tell me is that the money has been RECEIVED by the person I'm paying (which is actually something I'm dealing with right now - two due to the post office, and one was an online payment). The way I do it now, I know, I can track, and I can avoid late fees (and overdraft charges). Autodraft? Absolutely NOT. My bank's online bill pay? Not if you paid me.

I guess working in banking for the last 9 years has soured me on it, but not without good reason.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I hope Verizon realize what happen to Bank of America and their $5 debit card usage fee....
Anyway that's one more reason why I never will be Verizon customer!

Just got a Email from Change.org

Hey - it's Molly! Remember when together we beat Bank of America -- and the whole banking industry backed away from charging us just for using our debit cards?

Well, it’s time to get the band back together. Verizon just announced a new fee for paying your bills online. Really. Even though paying via internet is fully automated.

It’s not just about the money (though if you’re like me, you don’t have extra cash to be sending to a giant phone company in order to pay your own bills). It’s that Verizon thinks it can do anything to its customers, and that we’re powerless to stop it. (Spoiler alert: We’re not.)

By the way, I found out that a recent report says Verizon paid zero federal income tax from 2008-2010, and actually got almost a billion dollars in rebates from taxpayers. So they definitely shouldn't be nickel and diming us.

As a Verizon customer, I've started a new Change.org petition demanding that the phone company drop the fee for paying bills online. I'd be grateful if you signed it. You can click here to add your name.

We can win this. And, if we do, we’ll save a lot of money for millions of people, many of whom are like me - not exactly swimming in a billion dollars of rebates.

But we’ll also prove again that times are changing. People like us have real power when we organize together! Lots of people will see this petition, and maybe some of them will start their own, realizing that they can change something in their own community.

First things first, though. Let’s stop Verizon from charging us a fee to send them money. Click here to sign my petition.

Thanks! And happy new year!

here is the link they have about 36 thousand that have signed the petition
http://www.change.org/petitions/tel...kOchrvVkoq_yYTxlGaGFU&utm_source=action_alert

I'm with AT&T but I'm I'm sure they are watching Verizon right now.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Though I feel like a broken record, to be clear...

Everyone does realize that credit card companies charge billers a 2-3% processing fee for every payment a consumer makes with a credit card, right???

That is a fee that Verizon in this case has been swallowing for years and years now.

We stand to lose $2 a month if we still want to pay online with a credit card, but Verizon has been losing hundreds of millions of dollars per year for a good while now so we could pay with credit cards.

And again, to be clear, there's plenty of simple (if not simpler) and safer ways to pay electronically now that avoid Verizon having to pay this fee. This has more to do with all of us, be it a huge business like Verizon or us little consumers, cutting out an unnecessary middle man in Visa or Mastercard or any other credit card company. Verizon isn't the enemy here. If you need an enemy, pull out your debit or credit card and look at the little logo in the corner.

I know it's human nature to have a knee-jerk reaction to this, but long-run, this is a good thing for all parties involved.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Though I feel like a broken record, to be clear...

Everyone does realize that credit card companies charge billers a 2-3% processing fee for every payment a consumer makes with a credit card, right???

That is a fee that Verizon in this case has been swallowing for years and years now.

We stand to lose $2 a month if we still want to pay online with a credit card, but Verizon has been losing hundreds of millions of dollars per year for a good while now so we could pay with credit cards.

And again, to be clear, there's plenty of simple (if not simpler) and safer ways to pay electronically now that avoid Verizon having to pay this fee. This has more to do with all of us, be it a huge business like Verizon or us little consumers, cutting out an unnecessary middle man in Visa or Mastercard or any other credit card company. Verizon isn't the enemy here. If you need an enemy, pull out your debit or credit card and look at the little logo in the corner.

I know it's human nature to have a knee-jerk reaction to this, but long-run, this is a good thing for all parties involved.

yes, every retailer, store, whatever has to pay the 2-3% fee. So using your theory, we should not use credit/debit cards anywhere?? Really? These fees should be considered a cost of doing business, period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.