Waffle, Flamingo, Otter, Sloth, Skunk, and Garlic Among New Emojis Coming to iOS in 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

More than 200 new emojis will be coming to iOS later this year, with the Unicode Consortium officially approving the final 2019 emoji list.

Emojipedia has a full list of all the emoji we can expect to see in 2019, including flamingo, otter, waffle, sloth, white heart, people holding hands, ice cube, snorkel, orangutan, juice box, falafel, and more.

[​IMG]

The 2019 emoji lineup will introduce new emojis to represent people with disabilities, such as person in wheelchair, guide dog, service dog, and deaf person. It will also include support for mixed race couples.

There are 59 new emoji characters, 75 with gender variations, and 230 total emojis when both gender variations and different skin tones are counted.

Now that the Unicode Consortium has finalized the list of 2019 emojis, smartphone makers, social media networks, and others are free to implement the new characters, but must design the new icons first.

The emoji in the Emojipedia images are just representations of the new emoji characters and do not reflect the design that Apple and other smartphone makers will use.

It typically takes Apple several months to introduce support for new emoji characters. In 2018, for example, Apple did not add the new 2018 emojis until the October iOS 12.1 update. Apple is likely to do something similar for iOS 13, so we could see the new emoji come as part of an iOS 13 update after the new operating system is released.

Article Link: Waffle, Flamingo, Otter, Sloth, Skunk, and Garlic Among New Emojis Coming to iOS in 2019

2. David G. macrumors 65816

How fitting that the first of the new additions perfectly sums up the whole story.

3. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

I actually saw someone complaing on Facebook that there was no left leg amputee emoji so maybe this will be added next year.

4. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

That’s awesome! Put these on a new XS and it should be good for at least another $200! [​IMG]

5. JayCar macrumors newbie

JayCar

Finally! I can't tell you how many times I've been wanting for a garlic emoji.. :-|

6. iVoid macrumors 65816

In my bets grumpy old man voice:
    I'll use the occasional smiley face here and there, but these endless emojis are ridiculous.

7. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Skunk?
    Oh… I thought that'd be a step too far.

8. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

9. iGobbleoff macrumors regular

iGobbleoff

I foresee that languages will disappear, people will not talk, and everyone will just use emoji's to converse with one another.

10. dsraj macrumors newbie

dsraj

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

12. outskirtsofinfinity macrumors regular

outskirtsofinfinity

13. macsba macrumors 6502

Great to have Pepe Le Pew as an emoji now.

14. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

New Animojis and Emojis announced on the same day?!!! It must be Christmas!!!

15. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

It's already happening in restaurants and cafes where you see a lot of people sitting together with their faces buried in their phones. The whole night goes by and no one said a word until it was time to leave, saddest thing I've ever seen.

16. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

Needs a penis emoji to be complete. I guarantee that one would get some use.

17. yaxomoxay, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

And kids on iPad's for the entire duration of the dinner. At times with noise cancelling headphones. It pisses me off to no limit.

18. tw1ll macrumors regular

It really is about time Apple released a "Cook fiddles while company burns" emoji........

19. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

20. tw1ll macrumors regular

Any bell-end emoji would have to be nicknamed "the Cook".........

21. bgalakazam macrumors member

All these pc and inclusive emojis, all these useless ones that 99.9% of user will never use... but lets get rid of the gun emoji because somebody got butthutt...

22. JetTester macrumors member

All those years taking English classes in school. Wasted! Replaced by pictures drawn with crayons. So sad....

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

FINALLY I can use emojis for my wife's nickname, Waffle Otter!

24. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

Finally mixed race couples in 2019.

I wonder how the blind person is going to use the blind person emoji. Interesting.

I'm still waiting for the bubble tea emoji.

Also it would be cool if they had Chinese Zodiac animals. A set of 12 animals with a distinct Chinese zodiac design.

Where is the buddha emoji? Seems like a very obvious one. It's not a religion so I don't see the problem.

25. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I like all these emojis, but someone needs to come up with a better system to sort through and find the one to use.