Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Yesterday, Apple launched new updates to the MacBook Pro. This is 8 to 9 months after the 2016 release. The 2017 MacBook Pro's include the new 7th generation Intel Kabylake processors, faster graphics and SSDs. If you are coming from a 2015 MacBook Pro, they might be relatively substantial. Apart from these internal upgrades, the external design remains the same, which includes in the butterfly keyboard, touch bar and large trackpad. Users who were hoping for 32 GBs of RAM, might actually have to wait a bit longer to see that option.

Which brings me to my main point. The 2017 spec update keeps the MacBook Pro current for the next 8 to 9 months, but it feels like a possible lay over for something bigger. Intel's 8th generation processor update is called Coffeelake, which will be ready this coming August. Knowing Apple, certain parts won't be ready right away, but its still based on the 14 NM process. Which means, it probably won't take too long for possible parts to become available within 8 months of its release. Based on reports from Foxconn insiders, Apple started assembling the 2017 MacBook Pros in February. Testing and evaluation was probably three months early (the same time the 2016 models were coming to market).

So, Apple is likely to get suitable Coffeelake parts to test at least three months after launch, which is around October 2017. Assembly, will likely start a few months later, around January 2018, which give or take could mean, we might not see the 2018 MacBook Pro until around April, March, the earliest. I don't think Apple wants to do WWDC with the type of hardware launch they did this week. Its just too much information and planning required.

It just seems unreasonable for Apple to wait another year to update the MacBook Pro again. So, my best estimates is April 2018 for the next update. There is also the iMac Pro of course, which means, Apple could intentionally delay further MacBook Pro updates so they can give iMac Pro room to shine. There is a larger picture behind why Apple could do rapid succession of updates to its hardware line.

iPhone 2018 - September 2017
iMac Pro - December 2017 (4 months later)
MacBook Pro/iPad Pro - April 2018 (4 months later)

What would be the reason for waiting? Apart from being another spec update: AR and VR.

The 2018 MacBook Pro would be the first real taste of VR in an Apple notebook line natively for game play, video editing and software development. It would be the first Apple notebook to seriously show off High Sierra too and features such as Metal, Machine Learning, ARKit. Apple would also want a family of devices that are VR/AR ready for sure.

If these things are important to you, then, waiting might be worth it. Also, if you want to get the best bang for your buck, it would be best way to go.

At the end of the day, if you need a notebook now, might as well get it. If you can care what have and stretch it out to next year, you can be rewarded. If things like DDR4 32 GBs of RAM matter to you, then you are not gonna get that until 2019 MacBook Pro.

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
(current year): don't buy this one. there's gonna be something cooler on next year's model

(next year): don't buy this one. there's gonna be something cooler on next year's model

(next year): don't buy this one. there's gonna be something cooler on next year's model

etc. etc. etc. etc. forever and ever until the heat death of the universe

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
The 2018 MacBook Pro would be the first real taste of VR in an Apple notebook line natively for game play, video editing and software development. It would be the first Apple notebook to seriously show off High Sierra too and features such as Metal, Machine Learning, ARKit. Apple would also want a family of devices that are VR/AR ready for sure.

Do not think so, Apple gave up on powerful laptops. They are pushing eGPU for VR on laptops...

Last edited:

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
The only times when the wait until next year argument holds water is when:

1. An update is truly awful and is expected to have its technical issues resolved next time.

2. When the next update is anticipated to be a redesign versus a spec bump.

Neither of these are true now. Yes, you can wait and get some new minor features next year but that's true every year.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The age old adage works here.
Buy the laptop now if you need it now, wait if you don't need it.

On the flip side, waiting for the next year's model becomes an endless game, because you can easily make the case that the 2019 model is even better then the 2018 so wait for that instead of the 2018, and then of course the 2020 model will be better then the 2019...

I wasn't expecting a huge update, because apple spent a lot of time, effort and R&D on the 2016, and its selling quite well. Whether it fits your needs or not, is a personal decision only you as the buyer can make. For instance VR and game playing is not important to me, so any possible improvements in the 2018 model for VR will not impact me at all.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
The only times when the wait until next year argument holds water is when:

1. An update is truly awful and is expected to have its technical issues resolved next time.

2. When the next update is anticipated to be a redesign versus a spec bump.

Neither of these are true now. Yes, you can wait and get some new minor features next year but that's true every year.

Both of those are true for the 2016 & 2017 models if you ask me.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
as if they are going to update them on the next year/s?? only reason they updated them on the last year was that mbp's were so old that they needed to be updated before loosing the rest of the users.

Reactions: Macintoshrumors

NathanD

macrumors member
May 15, 2017
Italy
I've already waited for a year but now I can't wait anymore so I think I'll buy a 2017 MBP. There will always be a better model... this is how technology works.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2017
Yes, just keep waiting on the 2018 model.

There will be atleast:
- 32GB Model
- Better battery
- 10 BIT HDR Screen 144hz 1ms
- Even slimmer
- SD cards will be back
- USB A ports will be back, aswell as HDMI
- 6 cores an opinion
- You will get free iphone 8 with every MBP 15"

And guess what. 2018 comes. They will update only CPU and opinion to order 32GB ram. And guess what?! They will increase the prices and 32GB opinion costs ONLY 500$ extra!

Totally worth to wait.

But TBH i did wait for 2017. And this is V2 of the product. Hopefully most of the hiccups on the production line and bugs will be solved.

I am going to buy 2017 and that's it. There is always going to be better, and when you wait for better your expections goes higher and higher the more you wait. And eventually when the 2018 MBP comes..... dissapointment. Because Apple uknow?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I personally have committed to waiting until 2020 or 2021. I am getting an iPad Pro 12.9 though. Hopefully by the time I travel to the US next year, it will be updated with the A11x.

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2017
I personally have committed to waiting until 2020 or 2021. I am getting an iPad Pro 12.9 though. Hopefully by the time I travel to the US next year, it will be updated with the A11x.

Yeah but i don't have Mac ATM and really want one. By the time we get to 2020/2021 i will have my 2017 mac and i have saved enough pennies to upgrade when we get there.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
That's almost a whole year dude, and like someone said before - there are always going to be more cool stuff to come so, indeed, don't wait. (Waiting will be useful only if there's surely going to be an update within the next 1-2 months, either way, no point in waiting)

Btw, if there's not an update in October, Apple will likely silently release the CPU upgrades models in Spring, along with other improvements.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Yeah but i don't have Mac ATM and really want one. By the time we get to 2020/2021 i will have my 2017 mac and i have saved enough pennies to upgrade when we get there.
Its really about your needs and what you are doing. If you need it now, no stopping you. I personally have evaluated my needs over the next 5 years and it boils down to a lot of writing, light video editing, photos. So, I don't represent those who probably need a professional mobile workstation that can handle the emerging technologies coming down the pipeline (AR/VR, 360 video). I do think, for anyone thinking of entering those fields, will see more dramatic updates next year. In fact, if you are a 2015 MacBook Pro user, 2018/2019 would be the sweet spot to upgrade. As I noted in my original post, the 2017 update is still significant; particularly due to the increased speed of the SSD and graphics. Battery life should also be more stable with Kabylake.

Personally i've moved on giving up on Apple in the notebook space...

Q-6
I think Apple still makes some of the best looking notebooks on the market. I think aesthetics has kind of limited their options though; forcing the technology to play catch up. With other OEMs also producing similar pleasing designs, Apple doesn't necessarily hold the clout it did half a decade ago. I personally have started getting jaded with the Windows ecosystem and even though its a costly investment; as each of my Windows PC's become slow or die, I will be replacing them with a Mac or Apple device. My HP z210 is still working, but it has its moments, but when it goes, an iMac will certainly be taking its place. My HP Elitebook will be succeeded by a iPad Pro 12.9 with Smart Cover.
[doublepost=1496781570][/doublepost]
That's almost a whole year dude, and like someone said before - there are always going to be more cool stuff to come so, indeed, don't wait. (Waiting will be useful only if there's surely going to be an update within the next 1-2 months, either way, no point in waiting)

Btw, if there's not an update in October, Apple will likely silently release the CPU upgrades models in Spring, along with other improvements.
To be honest with you, the 2019 model is really the one to get, but while thinking this through, I said to myself, no one is gonna wait that long. The 2019 MacBook Pro is gonna be a dramatic update, just like the 2016 model was but on an even larger scale. E-paper keys that adapt to your work flow is probably another possible reason to weigh your options. The butterfly keys are already controversial, which is another reason you could provide for choosing the 2018 model. The 2019 model will be so isolating and probably have its share of issues like the 2016 model. The 2018 could probably then hold you over until 2020 model which will iron the kinks or an even cheaper 2021 model.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Why would you buy a Mac for VR development? If you were in that field, your company would probably get one when they're supported in order to develop on. So not really an issue. You could of course just get an external GPU which Apple will now be taking a more active role in developing.

A lot of people buy these things for work, and don't want to stop working for a year to wait for the next bigger release. Very few people actually max their system in terms of work load, and those kinds of people are already probably aware of the fact they need to upgrade every year. But for the rest of us todays laptop is more than powerful for our needs, and will continue that way for many years.

I appreciate if you don't actually need a new MacBook and find it really hard to justify spending all that money on a shiny new toy. But if you're in that group you are probably in the waiting for next release camp as it's essential you have the latest and greatest over the actual use of the machine.

But yes, wait till 2020 for the new design. It'll be slimmer with a better screen.

Alternatively wait until the singularity event when we can close the book on this technological pi***ng contest and finally determine a winner of silicon based computers.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Waiting to buy tech has always been the worst decision I've ever made. Bought the 2016 at launch and everyday that passes is like it was the best thing I did

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Why wait? You can buy a new one every year.

No no... if you don't use a computer, wait until next year... or the year thereafter.

exactly. buy now, upgrade next year.

Any professional should be able to do this, if it offers significant gains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.