Wait for the iPhone 3rd generation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gecus, Apr 12, 2009.

  1. gecus macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #1
    I've decided to buy an iPhone, however, I am struck with the tragedy of cold hard indecision. I am hearing about a new iPhone might be coming, should I wait for this iPhone to come or do I go ahead and upgrade now?
     
  2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

    Roessnakhan

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2007
    Location:
    ABQ
    #2
    If you need the phone now, get it now. If you can wait, wait. If you buy it now you're by no means getting an inferior product if a new iPhone is released in a few months.
     
  3. orange42 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #3
    I'm in the same predicament. My Verizon contract just finished and I'm going to get the iPhone, I just don't know whether to wait or not. I'm probably going to end up getting it tomorrow.
     
  4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    #4
    Ask yourself, not us. Only you can answer this question.
     
  5. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #5
    You cant wait like 2 months? cmon guys just buy some crappy prepaid phone and wait it out. you can do it. i believe in you!
     
  6. Aznsensation45 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    #6
    I would def. just get a prepaid phone and wait out the 2 months. It'll be worth it in the end.
     
  7. bradenwh macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    #8
    Definitely wait until WWDC, at least.
    If no iPhone is announced then, it most likely won't happen.
     
  8. renewed macrumors 68040

    renewed

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2009
    Location:
    Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
    #9
    I would wait for 2 months (a little less in fact) to see what is announced in San Francisco.
     
  9. ViPa macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2007
  10. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2008
    #11
    I have to agree with everyone else.. just wait a few more months...
     
  11. Andruw91 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #12
    +1 Tons of threads on people all asking the same question. How are we supposed to know, it's all up to you
     
  12. uiop. macrumors 68020

    uiop.

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI
    #13
    The best time to buy a new phone is always tomorrow.
     
  13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

    likemyorbs

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #14
    seriously? another thread about this? for god's sake if you need it now get it, if you dont wait. why does everyone make a federal case out of this? if i had a nickel for everyone who posts a "buy now or wait?" thread...
     
  14. chaostrick macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2009
    Location:
    Live in Houston, work in Eagle Pass
    #15
    Nobody NEEDs an IPhone, I think the question is being posed because many people are indecisive and rely on their peers to aid in their decision making. This blog site seems to be filled with intelligent people with useful information. I believe the intended question is not if he needs one now, but more what does everyone think about the possibility of a Hardware refresh this summer. As in, if they are coming out with a new phone, would the possible upgrades be worth the 2-10 month wait, and what do people think the wait time for the refresh is likely to be.
    If your just going to be an a$$, don’t comment, nobody cares about your negative opinions. This is a friendly site, keep it that way. :)
     
  15. gecus thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #16
    Nicely put, thank you :D
     
  16. bayourock macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    #17
    I also have a orignal iPhone and was wanting to upgrade to a newer 3g version. I am thinkin that while we are confidant that there will be a new iPhone this year, the timing eveyone is thinking of may be well off...

    It may be 2 month til they just annouce the new product in which case it maybe 2-12 monthes before we see this new phone.....

    So im gonna wait til June to see what they annouce at the conference.....

    There is one thing that i am worried about with a new phone though, We dont know what kind of added cost there will be with ATT for this new phone..... At least we know now what it cost to have a 3g now, im hoping AT&T doesnt add more cost to the plans for the new phone, if that is so then waiting for the new phone IMO wouldnt be a good thing....

    just my thoughts
     
  17. SimpsonsFan007 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    #18
    This is what my wife and I are doing. Our Sprint contract ended April 2nd. We're going to stick with Sprint, contract-less, until WWDC and see if something is announced. If it is announced, and it is coming out shortly thereafter, we'll buy the new one. If it's announced and there's some kind of indication that it won't be out for another ten months or so after that, screw it. We're getting the 3G. If there's no announcement at all, we're going to the Apple store that evening. :D

    We're also keeping our eyes on the Pre, and I really hope it does end up coming out on April 30th. That's a good month to see what kind of impact it makes.
     
  18. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #19
    If you can wait, then wait. We are 2 months from WWDC.
     
  19. jlmba08 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    #20
    I would try to get a refurb. I was in your position last year before 3G. I got a 4gb refurb from ATT for $149 which lasted me from april until I decided to upgrade to 3G. I then sold the old phone for more than I bought it for on ebay, so it was worth NOT waiting for the new phone. Not sure refurbs are readily available right now.
     
  20. Redstarr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    Jamaica, NY
    #21
    ^^ I had no problem getting one from Best Buy today. I just bought an 8GB to hold me over until the new one comes out (I'm crossing my fingers for 32GB)

    I'm just hoping they (AT&T) don't try to wallet-rape me if...I mean, when, I want to upgrade in June/July
     
  21. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #22
    So if u just bought one, how do u plan to get the new iphone without paying the premium price? I don't see at+t giving discounted upgrades this time...

     
  22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

    ntrigue

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    #23
    Wait it out...

    Wait until the third-gen release. Your phone has taken you this far; it can make it another few weeks. There is no promise that an iPhone 3G wouldn't prevent you from the next two releases from Apple.
     
  23. diemos macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #24
    Without a doubt, WAIT. I'm waiting. It'll be worth it, I think.
     
  24. kh14 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2009
    #25
    you would be dumb not to wait.:) The new iphone is going to be amazing
     

Share This Page