Wait until the 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dmaynard83, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

I usually wait for the S series because it's going to take forever for apps to get updated (like it did for the 5).

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I wait on the 's' cycle because that's the upgrade path that I'm on with AT&T.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I prefer the "s" iPhones because of the CPU and GPU upgrades they typically receive.

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I don't wait for anything, i buy the new one every year and sell the old one for more than the new one cost me.

Also i doubt apps are going to be a huge issue, it will be the same aspect ratio so the apps will just be stretched out.

5. megapopular, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

megapopular macrumors 6502a

I like having the newest and most powerful iPhone, I don't worry about apps getting updated, I get the new phone every single year on launch date. A tradition unlike any other... Oh, wait, that's The Masters, lol! (PGA golf)

6. Kiju macrumors member

I have a 4S now and I've been on the fence about whether to wait for the S or just go with the 6.

The cycles tend to alternate between a major aesthetic change and an internal one, and I just prefer the internals because any major problems with the new builds are usually worked out by then.

If I like it enough though, I may just go with the 6. Not sure how much longer my phone will be supported and I'd rather not be left stranded.

7. cynics macrumors G4

I've been very happy with the S updates so much so I held onto my 4S. And its done me well, it runs iOS 7 well and supports most of the software the 5S is running minus things like slow mo, airdrop and a couple other things that aren't important to me personally.

However its time for me to upgrade. I need LTE and I would like a larger screen. Plus I can really benefit from some of the iOS 8 features the 4S won't get especially those requiring AirDrop. So I'll be getting the iPhone 6 and moving to the non S cycle.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

If there is as big a jump between the 6 and 6S as the 5 and 5S, the 6S is going to be amazing.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 5S jump was pretty tiny IMO. The 5S processor and GPU stats are impressive on paper but haven't exactly transferred any benefits to real world use.
    As for folk saying that problems are ironed out in the S models, like what exactly? The 4S corrected 'antenna gate' but which iPhone 5 problems did the 5S address? None that I can see. Several, such as camera module rattles and loose buttons carried over onto the 5S.

10. T5BRICK, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The "s" variants typically get more significant under the hood upgrades.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Each new iPhone is better than the preceding one. I'm sick of hearing how the S models are best.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think 5 to 5s was that big of a jump because the 5 was already fast. If anything, TouchID was the biggest thing at least for me.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't think he was implying the 's' variants were better. But, rather, highlighting that they typically get under-the-hood enhancements only, whereas, the non-'s' gets under-the-hood and cosmetic upgrades.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I find threads like this funny. They all boil down to the following:

I think I'll skip (insert your cycle) because (insert your own rationalizing) when in reality I'm trying to find an excuse not to spend the money to upgrade every year.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There's nothing wrong with not upgrading every year just as there is nothing wrong with upgrading every year. We all have our reasons which work for us.

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I prefer the non-S cycle as I'm cheaply bought with a shiny new design :p

In all honesty, both 'cycles' are fine. You're getting a substantially better phone every two years - you even get to enjoy the upgrades from last year's model. For example, I can't wait to use TouchID this year.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Absolutely agree. It's just that I find the amount of rationalizing by members funny.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Let them rationalize all they like. It's no skin off my nose if I happen to find their reasons funny or weird. :)

19. I7guy macrumors G5

I agree with this comment. Although touchid was not an under the hood enhancement, the 5S seemingly set the stage for a more powerful line of apple phones, beating everyone to the punch.

20. Poly macrumors 6502

What?
    So you make money selling 1year old iPhones?

21. TWD98j macrumors regular

Ditto. Plus the fact that there is nothing wrong with my 5S. I am eagerly awaiting iOS 8 though, because then hopefully it will capitalize on the full potential of the 5S.

I have been on the "S" cycle since the 3GS and it's the cycle that I feel the most comfortable with. There is the point which was raised earlier about Apple being able to address whatever design issues which may have been present initially.

However, another factor to consider is that - in addition to beefed up internals - there are virtually no third party accessories available at launch when there is a new design.

Case in point, when I went from a 3GS to a 4S, I was able to get a mophie case right away, because the same one that fit the 4 would also fit the 4S. Same thing when I went from 4S to 5S, I was able to get the mophie case that had been designed for the 5, because it fit the same.

Had I bought an iPhone 4 or 5 at launch, I would not have been able to get a battery pack for either of them right away, because they were not available for some months after the phones launched. And the battery cases for the 5 took even longer to debut because that's when Apple transitioned from 30 pin to lightning.

As much as I am eagerly anticipating and looking forward to seeing what Apple will launch with the new iPhones and iPads this fall, I'm good with getting iOS 8 on my 5S.

The way I see it, next year when I am due for an upgrade, I'll be primed for 6S ;)

22. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

All good reasons, especially on the accessory front.

I'm not one for accessories for my phone and only had to get a couple of extra charging cables when I went from the 4S to the 5s.

23. apple-tea macrumors member

24. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I thought everybody had this figured out. :D

25. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I am not on any "cycle". I just the phone until I am not happy with it or it stops performing the functions I want. I went from the original iPhone to the 4, then to 5. I will upgrade to a 6 if a large screen option is available, if not I will wait until the 6S, carefully not updating iOS7 to 8 to preserve performance.