Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rottinapple

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
somethings up! there r serious problems,especially if the low end models r not avail,,wtf this sh!+ should b squared away before the hook us in with dreams of a 27" quad

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Was at the Apple Store today, no stock of the 21" nor the 27"

something fishy about all this.

I think this relates to the problems being exposed with the new 21 and 27 machines already in the field and 10.6.2. I think they feel that it is better to hold production and get the software out to support the existing machines and have it available to load on the next production run. Of course it could also be that there is a shortage of the 4850's... take your choice but it is obvious we are not going to get an explanation from Apple. When 10.6.2 is available on Software Update I bet the emails will start flowing with tracking #'s and CC's will be charged.

matejay

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
Sydney | NSW
I think this relates to the problems being exposed with the new 21 and 27 machines already in the field and 10.6.2. I think they feel that it is better to hold production and get the software out to support the existing machines and have it available to load on the next production run. Of course it could also be that there is a shortage of the 4850's... take your choice but it is obvious we are not going to get an explanation from Apple. When 10.6.2 is available on Software Update I bet the emails will start flowing with tracking #'s and CC's will be charged.

My guess as well... most of the problems with the new line seem to be software based and most of them were being addressed in the 10.6.2 update. Blaming all of this on the 4850 just doesn't cut it... sure there can be delays with producing so many cards but then again I'm sure Apple wouldn't be waiting for the first two million cards to be ready to even start the Quad production and pi** off a lot of loyal customers.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
UPDATE: All 21.5" and 27" iMacs are out of stock at the Apple store near me.

Yeah same thing for me. I stopped by today to play with the 27'' and the sales guy says they are waiting for their next shipment.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
UPDATE: All 21.5" and 27" iMacs are out of stock at the Apple store near me.

I notice on the Apple online store that the C2D 27" model is now being delayed 3-7 days in shipment. But the two lower end models still ship within 24 hours. I guess you could order online and see what they say.

hibbleton

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
It doesn't make sense for Apple to stop producing hardware because of a software issue. Make no mistake, these computers are still rolling off assembly lines in China right now. Heck, I'd be willing to bet that these ship with 10.6.1 and the user will be on the hook for updating to 10.6.2. It's possible that Apple is waiting for 10.6.2 to be ready before shipping these units, which leaves us with the ambiguous "November" ship date.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
the core2duo 27" iMacs are now listed as 7-10 days of shipping (no longer 3-5).
wtf is going on with the 27" iMacs?
I really wish Apple would tell us...

It's called "this product is selling faster than they can produce it". It's really not that hard to understand...

Bryan

hibbleton

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
It's called "this product is selling faster than they can produce it". It's really not that hard to understand...

Bryan
THANK YOU! Haha. This thread is getting intense with all the crackpot explanations and theories for the delays.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem, friends!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
What is there to understand? Do you think Apple is intentionally producing fewer iMacs than they're capable of?

Bryan

i personally believe that apple didnt think that there would have been this big of an influx for the machines! they probably used production numbers from their previous sales and worked with that.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
i personally believe that apple didnt think that there would have been this big of an influx for the machines! they probably used production numbers from their previous sales and worked with that.

I can assure you that Apple knew this was going to be a popular product. Apple did not just run a batch according to their last run or previous sales.

Bryan

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
I can assure you that Apple knew this was going to be a popular product. Apple did not just run a batch according to their last run or previous sales.

Bryan

I agree with Bryan; they would have definitely taken into the account the fact that its being during the holiday season, as well as the fact that this was a much bigger upgrade to the iMacs than what we had seen in the past 2 years of upgrades. They definitely STARTED with numbers from previous production/sales, but they would have made adjustments to account for holiday/more extensive upgrades that further boost sales.

nikonglass

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
I notice on the Apple online store that the C2D 27" model is now being delayed 3-7 days in shipment. But the two lower end models still ship within 24 hours. I guess you could order online and see what they say.

Maybe it's good that the stores are running out. If the stores were constantly getting new 27" 2-core machines, while our orders weren't being fulfilled, that would really suck. Maybe we are next in line and the stores are not.

BTW if somebody made a behind the scenes documentary movie about whatever the hell is going on between all the different groups of people that work to bring us the final product, it would be a huge cult classic. In 20 years I would show it to my (currently nonexistent) kids, and tell them, "see, this is what we used to have to go through to get decent computers!"
Just imagine the drama!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

Bryan

I agree with Bryan; they would have definitely taken into the account the fact that its being during the holiday season, as well as the fact that this was a much bigger upgrade to the iMacs than what we had seen in the past 2 years of upgrades. They definitely STARTED with numbers from previous production/sales, but they would have made adjustments to account for holiday/more extensive upgrades that further boost sales.

oh yes of course, they would have taken the holidays, severity of the update (the most significant update since the introduction of the imac itself), etc into account. but maybe they were wrong?

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2006

Bryan

I don't buy that for a second. If Apple wanted to produce 1,000,000 iMacs a day, they could. I guarantee you, there are factories over there in China that would be happy to do it for them. If supply is greater than Apple anticipated, however, ramping up production may take a few days, but less than a week.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
If Apple wanted to produce 1,000,000 iMacs a day, they could. I guarantee you, there are factories over there in China that would be happy to do it for them.

Huh? How many factories have the technology and meet the strict QC that Apple has in place? I bet Apple already has the factories running at full strength. It isn't like you can go out and convert an HP factory to make quality Apple products over night. :rolleyes:

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
oh yes of course, they would have taken the holidays, severity of the update (the most significant update since the introduction of the imac itself), etc into account. but maybe they were wrong?

Definitely a possibility. Or it could be that Apple realized there was an issue with the models and stopped shipping them to stores, so they can fix the affected models before shipping. Before people start saying they wouldn't stop production for some random software issue, I'm not saying they stopped production. I'm just saying they may have stopped distribution. Or it could be another unrelated factor altogether.

hibbleton

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Huh? How many factories have the technology and meet the strict QC that Apple has in place? I bet Apple already has the factories running at full strength. It isn't like you can go out and convert an HP factory to make quality Apple products over night. :rolleyes:
Seconded.

I don't understand phrases like "ramp up production". How does that work? Capacity is capacity, I thought. Building computers in a factory takes a significant amount of infrastructure and investment - not something that can be changed in a couple of days. Besides, it doesn't make sense for Apple to invest more dollars just to satisfy the initial demand a week or two faster. Once this first batch starts shipping, demand is going to slow significantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.