Waiting for Anand's Haswell rMBP Review Megathread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wishbrah, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wishbrah macrumors regular

Any predictions?

Will he say the 15" is a marginal upgrade from last year? Will he provide new insight which will sway the hearts and minds of those on the fence regarding new vs refurb?

I am going for a rMBP either way, but he will help me decide whether or not it will contain a 750m. He has insights into tech that are unmatched among review sites.

2. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

He is just reviewing a 2.3 unit. Won't give us insight to comparisons or benchmarks across all models. Judging by the reactions from users here, I think it'll probably be more than a marginal update internally.

3. thaifood macrumors 6502

I have the 2.3/16/512 15" unit. Arrived last night so have only migrated data across and mucked around with it for a couple hours. Coming from a MBP 2010 with 256 330M and 7200 rpm hdd, the thing is an absolute beast. Looks good, performs great!

I'll have to put it through its paces but any buyer's remorse I was having whilst waiting for delivery is well and truly gone.

4. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Moving from a 2012 base retina macbook, will give insight onto a maxed late 2013 one.

5. Benk3350 macrumors member

He spent a ton of time discussing the first rMBP.

I think since it's the same retina screen and the body hasn't changed at all it won't be as in depth. This is really just a hardware upgrade, everything else is identical.

But I will be looking forward to the review nonetheless.

6. tmiw macrumors 68000

7. troop231 macrumors 603

8. tmiw macrumors 68000

Heh, you're right :) I mix those two sites up all the time. :(

9. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

When people shell out $2K+, it's psychologically normal for them to convince themselves that what they just bought is awesome. By the numbers, it would be more than a little surprising to find a big leap from the previous generation, however.

10. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Thats normal if the product they owned before was not $2K+, in which previous owners of the rMBP shelled out at least that amount. I don't think all these "yellow tinted screen" reports really help much.

11. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

The problems are just the vocal minority. Really, if this stuff were widespread, it would have commanded a lot more media attention.

But all I was commenting on was the extent to which this machine improves upon its 2012 and 2013 predecessors. And the answer to that is "not much."

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

13. edfoo macrumors regular

Absolutely.

People who have already bought their latest MBPs, there is nothing big deal about Anadtech's upcoming review. It's not like if Anand give a poor rating then we are all going to return our MBP and ask for refund anyway. It is true though if Anand gives a rave review, people think they now own a big e-penis. :rolleyes:

14. zI INFINITY Iz, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up.

About the review:

"I’m giving the MacBook Pro with Retina Display our bronze Editor’s Choice award. Making it the first Mac to ever receive one. It would have been a silver had the software story been even stronger (iWork, Mountain Lion, Office and Photoshop being ready at launch would have been a feat worth rewarding). And it would have been a gold had Apple been able to deliver all of that but without sacrificing end-user upgradability." - Anandtech, 2012 rMBP

I haven't been following Anandtech for a long time so I don't exactly know their style, but based on what they said about the first rMBP, I guess this one will also receive a bronze EC award. Or maybe even Silver, now that "the software story" is stronger (more apps/websites retina ready after 1,5 year). Iris Pro more capable then the HD4000 for general performance. Comes with OS X 10.9, better battery life, no more lag, etc.

Or maybe they don't give it any award now, because 1,5 year has passed and they don't find it as impressive as then? Again, I don't now Anandtech for so long. If it was up to me, I would give it at least a silver award. Basically this laptop is the closest to "perfection", the only negative is the price. That of course if you get a normal one, not with weird screens and/or other issues :p

But yeah, I'm basically waiting impatiently since 2 weeks for their 15" rMBP Haswell review :)

15. exigentsky macrumors regular

16. tim100 macrumors 65816

17. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Just ordered mine and eagerly awaiting the review. Followed Anandtech for a number of years and it's the best their is. I actually don't think he will have a whole lot to say, other than the refinements to OSX, improved silicon, PCI-e SSD's, 802.11ac and the improved battery life.
    Apple took the best laptop ever made and as someone mentioned earlier brought it closer to perfection.
    I would be perfectly happy with last years rMBP, but getting one that's Haswell based is just that little bit more awesome.

18. tim100 macrumors 65816

has anyone contacted him to advise on amount of interest in this review? maybe if he knows that he will bump it to the head of the line being that other reviews have been posted ahead of the macbook pro review.

19. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Sites that big are perfectly aware of the interest on/impact of their reviews. They thrive on it.

20. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I am waiting for the notebookcheck review. That is still outstanding and does better at giving comparable information. Anandtech has become a bit too much of an Apple fan IMO. In length and detail or exploring stuff like Iris Pro Anandtech is still the only site that goes beyond just reiterating the always same testing procedure.

21. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Sometimes people think Apple fans aren't objective, and while that's going to be true for some people, it assumes that the order of operations went from Apple fan --> projecting that halo effect onto individual issues. However, the causal relationship can easily go the other way too: positive impression on many individual issues --> Apple fan. My reading of Anand's stuff falls into the latter category.

Anand definitely is a big Apple fan, but I also think he's done a good job of being appropriately critical when an issue merits it, and diving into the details. I'm really eager to see his thoughts on Iris Pro and the PCIe SSD. The rest is pretty standard.

22. byuister macrumors member

Notebookcheck is quite random on their reviews. I remember them reviewing the HTC Butterfly six months after it came out. I quite enjoyed their recent Dell Insiprion 15 review though.

23. Bri in Mtl macrumors member

24. Breedlove macrumors regular

Anand says the 15" on an airplane is "like looking Pac-Man in the mouth."

25. tim100 macrumors 65816

watched his podcast, they did discuss the new macbook pro and that a review is being done but did not provide a timetable for completion. i wonder how much longer the wait will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.