Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
However, by now, it's pretty much obvious (somehow declared in officially by Intel) that they will not produce the Broadwell versions that should go into 15" rMBP models. Therefore, those 15" rMBPs will have to wait for the Skylake chips, most probably for the late 2015 (at the earliest...), if not early 2016.

If that's true then there should be no question as to what processor will be in the next Macbook Pro, it could only be Skylake, right?

Leaving the other question, when?

Last edited:

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
2 things I don't understand

Why is everyone acting like Skylake is needed for the redesign? Broadwell is the "tick" (die-shrink) of Intel's tick-tock roadmap and thus brings the lower power usage, which is what usually enables a slimmer case, no?

Second, the last MBP update was only a GHz spec bump. The update before that was October 2013. So the MBP on sale now is basically 1.5 years old. I really don't believe Apple will continue selling this throughout 2015 and to early 2016 just to wait for Skylake. An update needs to happen mid 2015 to stay competitive.

catan

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
Why do people think there's gonna be a redesign at all (aside from a butterfly keyboard and Force Trackpad)? I wouldn't get my hopes up for one until Cannonlake.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
"I really don't believe Apple will continue selling this throughout 2015 and to early 2016 just to wait for Skylake."

Agreed. There's no way they don't update the MBP at all this year, so that means a Broadwell update in the fall, then Skylake with a redesign next year.

I'm actually hoping for this too, so I can buy the last version of this design - I'm sure the redesign will lose some valuable ports. As always with tech or cars, buy the last version of the previous design, they've worked out all the kinks.

If you buy the first version of the new design, YOU'RE the one who'll be working out all the kinks. ;)

Last edited:

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Why do people think there's gonna be a redesign at all (aside from a butterfly keyboard and Force Trackpad)? I wouldn't get my hopes up for one until Cannonlake.

Well those 2 things bring a slimmer design already. Add space gray and gold color options and 2 USB-C and you pretty much got a redesign.

actuallyinaus

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2013
Well those 2 things bring a slimmer design already. Add space gray and gold color options and 2 USB-C and you pretty much got a redesign.

I don't think most people would call butterfly switches and usb type-c ports a redesign.

(If Apple are going to use similar TDP CPUs then they can't really make it slimmer due to battery, so it all kinda depends on the TDP of the CPU.)

I think what most people expect with a redesign is something drastic such as significantly thinner or bezel-less display or tapered design ...

Jayayess1190

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
It has already been mentioned that Apple has updated twice within a year once before, so I could happen again.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
If Apple are going to use similar TDP CPUs then they can't really make it slimmer due to battery, so it all kinda depends on the TDP of the CPU.

Looking at the published preliminary specifications of the Skylake CPUs, it's clear that the Skylake TDPs will be similar to the Broadwell TDPs. After all, Tocks don't provide any real opportunity to reduce TDP; only Ticks do.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… Usb type c might have many keys to locked door such as carrying too many cables for 1 laptop is too old idea if one could transfer hdmi signal , data , power through one port ..

I would just be happy with a base model 15" with broadwell, 500 gb SSD , a usb 3 port for compatibility, 2 usb c ports, and a space gray option :cool:

USB Type-C is currently associated with USB 3.1. USB 3.1 is slower than Thunderbolt 2.

Whilst USB Type-C alone may be welcome in a MacBook, I should expect Pro hardware to be distinguished by at least one additional connector with faster capability.

… I'm awaiting Skylake mostly due to TB3 and USBC ports. …

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
I don't think most people would call butterfly switches and usb type-c ports a redesign.

(If Apple are going to use similar TDP CPUs then they can't really make it slimmer due to battery, so it all kinda depends on the TDP of the CPU.)

I think what most people expect with a redesign is something drastic such as significantly thinner or bezel-less display or tapered design ...
I'd be happy with USB c + new trackpad and new color options.

I need a laptop badly but I think I could wait until wwdc for a 15" refresh if we don't get it then I'll bite the bullet and get the 13"model :'(

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
However, by now, it's pretty much obvious (somehow declared in officially by Intel) that they will not produce the Broadwell versions that should go into 15" rMBP models.

Citation please.

Everything I'm hearing is that the Broadwell-H chips are still on schedule for summer 2015. Skylake-H chips (which will use DDR4) are not scheduled until 2016. Only Skylake-Y and Skylake-U chips (which will use LPDDR3) are scheduled for late 2015.

I still expect the 15" Broadwell MBP could be announced as early as June, perhaps at WWDC.

Last edited:

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Yeah my bet would be on a WWDC announcement of a Retina Broadwell MBP 15" with 2-3 USB-C, Force-Touchpad and Butterfly Switches and plateau battery allowing for slightly slimmer form factor, and of course faster SSD and Nvidia 900-series GPU.

Last edited:

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
I'd be happy with USB c + new trackpad and new color options.

I need a laptop badly but I think I could wait until wwdc for a 15" refresh if we don't get it then I'll bite the bullet and get the 13"model :'(

Depending on your usage a maxed 13' 2015 model would be great. I upgraded (from late 2013) and am amazed at the performance.

catan

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
Yea I wouldn't count on a body redesign (think slim) for the Pro line until USB-C becomes more mainstream (as in, Apple has enough confidence to completely replace the USB-A ports with C).

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Yeah my bet would be on a WWDC announcement of a Retina Broadwell MBP 15" with 2-3 USB-C, Force-Touchpad and Butterfly Switches and plateau battery allowing for slightly slimmer form factor, and of course faster SSD and Nvidia 900-series GPU.

All of that sounds right, except perhaps for the discrete GPU, which may be dropped altogether. If not with Broadwell, then with Skylake.

jsagurton

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Anyone think we'll see Gold and Space Gray options in the next iteration of the rMBP? I think even if they do go to Broadwell and don't do a major redesign until Skylake or even Cannonlake, that they might introduce the colors to bring parity with the new MB.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Anyone think we'll see Gold and Space Gray options in the next iteration of the rMBP? I think even if they do go to Broadwell and don't do a major redesign until Skylake or even Cannonlake, that they might introduce the colors to bring parity with the new MB.

Don't get me wrong I really think it's great apple is changing things up in the color market. Would have been nice a few years ago when I was in my 20's but now I find myself in a professional position and think that the classic silver is the most appealing to business professionals.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Don't get me wrong I really think it's great apple is changing things up in the color market. Would have been nice a few years ago when I was in my 20's but now I find myself in a professional position and think that the classic silver is the most appealing to business professionals.
You'll still have it. Space grey, silver and gold.

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
Are you suggesting that the pro gaming market is more important to Apple than the amateur accounting, law, and medical markets?

You don't need dedicated graphics just for gaming!

Think of graphic intensive or 3D applications or multi-monitor operations or you might wanna power a 4K or even a 5K screen...

A lot of applications use the GPU power to assist the CPU.

I really want and need a dGPU in my Macbook PRO and I never played a game on my mac

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
That's true, but then why not get a MacBook or a cheaper MacBook Pro without a dedicated graphics card? It's already optional in the current lineup.

Some customers (many customers?) would like to optimize affordability, reliability, and battery life in a high end laptop. I'm one such customer. There are others in this thread.

On the other hand, there are some customers who are opposed to circuit integration and want to give up affordability, reliability, and battery life in order to have retro discrete technology. It's not clear why they don't want to go all the way back to discrete transistors -- or perhaps some of them do.

Integration is the vector of progress in the realm of electronic circuits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.