Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danieleilertsen

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2016
Oslo, Norway
OKEY! People, feedback NOW!

Is the processor apple used in the New macbook pro 15 from 2015 q3!? WTF!?

If so, why would People here say skylake appropriate for the macbook pro just got released?

onVacation

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2016
Alright guys... I have to get this off my chest:

I'm in the market for a mobile computing device since I started here at my university a little over one year ago. I was (and still am) looking for something that would be my perfect companion.

I started with an old Latitude. It was just borrowed from a friend and I quickly left it at home instead of taking it with me, simply because it was too heavy.

I then started to look for cool, new stuff and found Mircosoft's Surface line.
I bought a Surface Pro 4, but returned it after the first week, because 5 hours of battery life simply wasn't enough.
I bought a Surface Book, but returned it after 2 days for a few reasons:
1) The rubber strips on the bottom do nothing. It slides around on your table like crazy.
2) You can't detach the screen under a certain battery percentage. That means if you're sitting in a lecture, have the screen turned around to write on it, your battery falls below 10% and the lecture ends you have a laptop with the screen facing up and cannot change it until you find a power outlet.
3) This device it made to be thrown away after a few years. Properly removing dust from the cooling system is almost impossible and there are little to no spare parts available for private customers anywhere, so even if you could do stuff on your own, they won't let you.

Next up I took a look in the Apple cosmos. I didn't like iOS (and I still don't), but the iPad Pro seemed to be a good device and the Apple Pencil was great.
I bought one, thinking that I could somehow work around iOS's restrictions. Turned out I couldn't, but my iPad and I, we had a great 4 months together before I sold it (GoodNotes is a great app btw).

At that point I began to realize that the tablet world is not ready for my needs yet and started to search for a well build laptop that's great to work with instead.

I quickly started looking at business devices: HP's ProBook, Acer's TravelMate, Dell's Latitude and the iconic Thinkpad line. I started to like the latter. Great keyboards (probably the best I've ever used on laptops), nice design (yes, I do like it), super-sturdy build (not like the IBM ones, but like a tank compared to all the aluminium-unibody-things) and more than decent student discounts that make them affordable.
Just one big downside: The displays are utter crap. They look like the photographer with his Macbook next to you took his ND filter and placed it in front of your screen.
They do make a few laptops with OLED displays, but it's expensive as f*** and you have to sacrifice a lot of battery life, so it's not an option.

And here I am. Getting back to Apple. The place I left when I sold my iPad.

I had high hopes for the new Macbook. Considering it's been so long since the last update and the fact that they announced it on the PowerBook's anniversary made me think they had something special in store for us.

Au contraire...

All they did is make it smaller and make it thinner while sacrificing huge parts of the battery, add a huge trackpad that serves no purpose other than accidentally touching it while typing on the new keyboard, that seems to be almost identical to it's ****** ancestor in the rMB, add a more than gimmicky Touchbar, that even looked awkward during their own presentation (they can't be serious about the DJ stuff), kill the MBA, rename it MBP, give it a processor that is worse than the entry-level CPU on the old entry-level MBP and for all that they want 500 € more than the previous generation costs?!

Im still waiting for someone to wake me up or to shout "It's a prank!".

They just can't be serious about this.

4 USB-C TB3 ports, because it's the future?! Yeah right, Apple. It's the future. Get you priorities straight. Either you build a device for the future or you build a device for the present, but combining old 2015 hardware with ports that will be standard in 3 years or so, doesn't do it.

I know, your engineer says -1 and +1 equals 0 and therefore you created something for the present, but it doesn't work that way. It just f****** doesn't.

Right now I somehow think it's a good idea to wait a few weeks and then buy one of the old MBPs.
Then again, Apple screwed up their hardware over the past years. It's just a matter of time until they ruin the software, make a ton of new features that only work with their oh-so-awesome Touchbar (I think that's the only purpose it serves) and I don't want to be stuck with macOS when that happens...

gifo

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2012
ok, slept on it, and what can i say? i'm feeling "confused".
apple at the moment is like "no way, a touch computer? we already have the iPad"
BUT
they have designed a new keyboard with touch capabilities, so apple is saying: "ok well, in some cases the touch is better even on the pc"
BUT
these evolution is only for some models, even if it's so "revolutionary" it will not be for everyone.
so, where's the point?
i mean, why not reinvent the way people interact with te pc without touching it since you din't want to do a touch pc?
(air gesture anyone?)
anyway, i'm not an apple engineer or things like that, i'm a customer and the only thing i can see at the moment is that the price increased probably only because of that touch bar, that i don't need and i don't want.

so, even if apple thinks it will be the revolution of the input devices (but you have to pay more for that, and not every mac is going to have it) starting from today i have to spend more money to have a really capable (in terms of computing power) MacOs equipped pc.
I'm disappointed not for the bar itself, but for the fact that the future of computing in apple perspective (sigh) will be more expensive

Reactions: pauliet

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
A 512GB ssd cost quite a bit more in 2012. They retailed for somewhere around $300-500 in 2.5" form. Today they're around $100. 256 was too small for me at that time. It's too small today as well. It's just that in spite of these components coming down in price, they remain upgrades on a line of computers that carries a very high minimum sale. Tacking 20% onto that in the US and more in other countries is quite significant, which is why I don't think it'll last.

As for the led strip, it's (imo) a dumb design and not worth the extra money. They'll probably update it significantly with future releases, as they're now effectively committed to the concept.

The SSD used in the Macs is NVMe/PCI-E, they're still going for 300+. I agree though that they're charging a premium for the touchbar. They're over-valuing it to what the common person wants. Which is why they kept the last revision around. THAT is the kick in the nuts IMHO. THAT is the IDENTICAL machine from 2015 (which itself is using parts from the 2014 release), at the same EXACT price. Mind boggling!
[doublepost=1477653699][/doublepost]
But does that guarantee full speed?

Says on the page : "Support USB 3.0 high speed transmission"

Reactions: xmonkey and thekev

Lollo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2016
Hi guys, I'm searching for advices.
What do you think is better and worth the money between:

· 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" - 1530€

with Intel Core i5 dual-core 2,7GHz (Turbo Boost 3,1GHz), 256GB, Intel Iris 6100

· 2016 Retina Macbook Pro 13" NON-touch, 1850€

with Intel Core i7 dual-core 2,4GHz (Turbo Boost 3,4GHz), 256GB, Intel Iris 540

Please note that the 2016 model has the i7 and not the base 2.0 Ghz i5.

There will be a noticeable CPU/GPU difference? I need portability, battery life, occasionally gaming (not newest demanding titles).

Thank you in advance.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
The thing that actually annoys me a bit is that you have to go with a BTO if you want to upgrade to the 460 GPU (which given the small price increase is a near must add on the 15).

That rules out waiting for the price to drop a bit on a pre-built MBP 15's, which always happen amongst the second tier retailers here in Denmark. BTO MPB's are never going down in price. Oh well...

biolan

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2016
ARGH. I had a dell refurb xps 15 32 gb ram 1 tb for 1700 in my cart and someone else snagged it before me... If that deal comes up again, I might abandon ship. I was looking at the alienware 15, but uglyyy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.