Waiting for the 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samac92, Jun 11, 2012.

1. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I will be waiting to see if the 13 inch gets the same treatment as the 15 inch, will anybody else?

Kuo correctly predicted that a new 15 inch would be introduced today alongside updated old MBPs, he also correctly predicted that the 17 inch would be discontinued.

He got a few things wrong, but they were mainly small details.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._new_macbook_series_at_wwdc_insiders_say.html

Do you think he's right about an August release date? Does this 13 inch even exist at all? I'm happy to wait to find out.

2. RacMumors macrumors newbie

I'll also be waiting for a 13" Retina MBP.

I've been waiting this long hoping for a redesign, a couple more months wont hurt!

Like you said, most of his predictions have been correct so far, just hoping that the 13" will recieve the redesign in August as well.

3. samac92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hopefully we'll have some rumours about this coming up. Maybe some references in Mountain Lion will give us a clue.

----------

Also a thought on the graphics card, as people have said the intel 4000 should be enough to support a retina display, and indeed the 15 inch will run on only it's intel 4000 some of the time

4. qom macrumors member

That's a shame though, would so very much like to see a discreet gpu in the upcoming 13" retina. I'm pretty tired with the 15" form factor, feels too large in my opinion.

Very annoying that Apple won't put out at 13" with decent graphics.

5. samac92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well we don't know, apple might. Though I wouldn't count on it.

6. solidus12 macrumors newbie

This is exactly what I have been waiting for - a 13inch macbook pro with retina display and a thinner profile.

Really disappointed considering I had waited a long time for this and it seems like its a no show.

Such a shame.

I think il hold out until august at least but to be fair thats only 2 months away!!? I dont think they would update their macbook pro 13inch lineup again now would they in only 2 months?!

7. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

2 months is such a short period. With saying that I don't think Apple will redesign it's 13" mbp after 2 months. As I said it's such a short period for a redesign.

8. duncan35 macrumors member

I agree with ya'll, but it wouldn't really be a redesign of the MBP. I imagine that just like with today's dual reveal of the retina and non-retina 15", they will offer both variations of the 13" at some point.

Its absence does seem conspicuous and I'd guess it's either to sell alot of 15" retinas or there was some supply issue that caused a delay.

9. modular macrumors regular

ive got a 15" mbp, and ever since I borrowed an 11" air for a week, I've been tempted to trade it in for the portability.

the updated HD 4000 graphics in the airs just about match the discrete graphics in my 2010 mbp (grForce 330M) , so it might be an even trade in power.

BUT would love a slimmed down rentna 13". I think that would be the best of both worlds. I hope we start getting some rumors to it soon. But i wouldnt be surprised if we had to wait till the end of the year, if not 2013 for it.

10. samac92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope not!

11. macgressive macrumors newbie

13" MBP in August

I think August sounds like a plausible date because Apple would be foolish not to release a 13" update before the school year starts in September -- given that 13" is a popular form factor among students.

Is it possible that the lag might signify a convergence of the 13" MacBook Pro and MacBook Air -- i.e., one machine to fill both slots?

12. samac92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope not, I think there is enough to separate a 13 inch pro and air, like processor speed and retina display.

13. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I don't buy for a second that after today Apple is going to turn around and release a retina 13" MBP.

14. gtshor3 macrumors newbie

I signed up today to discuss the refreshed MBP as well. I'm kind of disappointed with news as I naively expected the Retina display and the sleaker/slimmer design to be standard on the new Pros (at least the 15.4" models). If a refresh is actually coming to the 13.3" model, I'm not paying over $1500 for an entry level MBP with Retina. That's just crazy in my opinion, but then again, I'm going to be new a new customer to the Macbook Pro line.

I'm now torn between the 13.3" I7 dual core model and the entry level 15.4" model. Both received processor upgrades but I'm not expecting a huge difference in performance between the two processors. The 13.3" also got an improved graphics card, but it's still nothing compared to the 15.4" model. I just can't justify spending $1700 for something that isn't significantly better than a refurbished model that I can get for a considerably cheaper price.

I'm even considering buying the new I5 model and upgrading the ram to 8GB and doing a budget build. I'm a student going to a professional school for 4 years, and I'm upgrading from a 4 year old compact notebook that crashed a couple months ago. I don't do any video editing mainly because my hardware is limited but I would like to start. I'd also like to start burnind DVD's and Blue Rays, so I'm not sure what kind of strain that would put on the system. Other than that, I just want something that can handle word processors/ powerpoints/ mutliple web pages opened (some may be running script or videos). Any insite is on which one would work best is appreciated. Should I really dish out $1700 for a 15.4" or stick with the 13.3?"

15. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Does anybody think there will be a 13 inch Retina by the Holidays?

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

My take? (Yeah, I know you're all waiting for it). The MBP13 and MBA13 will die. (As well as the legacy 15). Think about it...

...Apple today released the retina 15. Why? Because the larger screen distinguishes this model from all others and it was "safe" to bring to light without impacting sales on the 11" and 13" Air or the bastard child of the MBP lineup... the 13 inch. This buys Apple some time before they can merge the remaining two 13" laptops into a single retina "MacBook".

Too many freaking unibody shapes in the mix right now. It's cluttering up Apple's product line and the factory toolers at Foxconn are going nuts. When it's all said and done, we will have an Air (11"), a MacBook (13") and of course the model introduced today, a MacBook Pro (15").

Quite genius actually. And today's move to axe the 17inch MBP without a word" shows Apple is clearly trying to streamline its offerings to the general consumer.

17. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Wasn't there also a weird gap where (IIRC) Apple announced and released the 15" unibody Pro, but didn't actually release the 17" unibody for a few months? So while everyone knew it was coming, it wasn't official until a fairly quiet update later on? And as I recall, it was because it took them a little longer to figure out how to make the 17" unibody rigid enough.

Just to say, something similar could be happening here. I'm surprised/disappointed there wasn't a 13" retina announcement, but there's still some hope for it coming later based on past precedent.

18. modular macrumors regular

i would just like a laptop with discrete graphics in a smaller form than 15". they've done it before - i would think there should be enough space in the 13 for it especially after removing the optical drive.

and i think the single difference between what should be labeled pro or not is if it has the discrete graphics card. the current 13" doesnt fit in anywhere now - it doesnt provide anymore power than the Airs.

19. vikpt macrumors regular

So pissed that there's no 13 in. THINNER, RETINA DISPLAY Macbook Pro! :mad::(

20. snoflewis macrumors newbie

i feel like the 13" won't come at the $1199 price point.
    just think about it. the "legacy" 15 base model was 1799, throw in an ssd, 8gb ram, retina, and redesign, price goes up $400. I can see this 13" receiving the same treatment. 256gb ssd, 8gb ram, retina, redesign, and costing $1599. you can say that doesnt make sense because you can configure the MBA 13 to do the same thing, but the legacy 15 can be configured that way too as of right now.

i can see macbook airs being the entry level models and not getting the retina treatment and probably dropping the air name altogether and being called just "macbook" and the macbook pros being the only models with retina screens.
    i think that makes a lot more sense and apple is transitioning toward this. but of course, that's just my opinion

21. samac92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah in 2008 they released unibody 13 and 15 inch models, but the 17 inch didn't come till a few months after. I don't remember if Apple mentioned the 17" at the time, but you could see it in the factory on the unibody video so we knew it was coming. But now we have no idea if the 13" is coming.. I'm hoping some rumour sites can look into this..

22. samac92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The legacy pro models are definitely going at some point, there's no doubt about that. The idea of only one of each 11, 13, 15 inch notebook definitely sounds like Apple. Only a few years ago they only offered one of each 13, 15 and 17 inch models.

But the 13 inch pro is Apple's best selling Mac, there is definitely a market for a more powerful 13 inch.

23. Liquinn Suspended

I guess they want you to buy the 15" =/

24. I8P'CS Suspended

There will be NO RETINA 13" MBP anytime soon!! Why would Apple release New old style 13" only to release thinner ones in a few months!! never going to happen, besides it will still be expensive and carry small SSD.

Expect 13 retina MBP in 2-3 years. Seriously some of you need to think hard before making these threads

25. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

OP I think you're going to be waiting a while....at least a year for that. They are going to focus on sorting out everything with the 15" before they move onto another model.