Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
The reason the MBPs don’t use 4K resolution is because Apple sets a standard range of PPIs that produces an optimal 2x UI scaling. 4K resolution at those screen sizes makes the UI too small for most people and/or produces suboptimal scaling. Although this latter point is kind of not true since currently the native resolution of the displays isn’t actually 2x the UI point scale.
Doesn't the same go for the iMacs tho?

Surf760

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
My point was that 4K looks fine on the 21' iMac, so why would it be bad on the MacBook? I am sure it can be done.
I think what he's saying is that because although the native resolution of the display is 4k, or 5k in my 27s case, you don't actually view the UI as 4k pixel per pixel, it scales the resolution to make everything look larger but still sharp. If you need to see exactly what we're talking about go to your display settings and change the scaling to the 4k resolution, everything will be so small that you won't be able read anything. I personally keep my 27" monitors at 1440p scaling, you get the "retina" sharpness you're looking for with plenty of screen real estate without needing a magnifying glass to actually see things.

Reactions: Dulcimer

SweWriter

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2018
The main problem I have with waiting at this point is that the very fact that they engineered a fourth generation butterfly keyboard with new materials tells me that they’re not getting rid of that keyboard garbage anytime soon.

The way I see it, these keyboard issues won’t be resolved until they move past the current butterfly mechanism, which is probably something that happens with a re-design (e.g., new chassis). Current keyboard repairs require replacing the ENTIRE top case. So I’m more hopeful that 2020 will be a re-design that also changes the keyboard.

Given their obcession with thinness I would not expect a fully operational keyboard anytime soon.

I would assume a keyboard based on haptic feedback solves the ”issue”, from their perspective. Please welcome Generation Arthritis, with fingers stiff and swollen due to writing on a hard surface. Also, creative story tellers will soon start talking about another brand.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I don't mind the Touch Bar, don't know why people hate it that much. If you don't like it, just don't use it.

Why do some (most?) of us hate it?

Well, from objective point of view:
- it brings nothing to the table that can't be done with normal keys and keyboard shortcuts
- uses battery life
- kinda hard to see in daylight
- you have to look away from the screen to actually use it
- no physical feedback at all
- incidental touches
- it's low-res and pixelated

From subjective point of view:
It's a useless gimmick. A solution in search of the problem. I'll always adjust brightness/volume faster with regular F-keys, because I know in memory where those are, I don't have to look away from the screen to use F-keys. Further more, if I don't touch my keyboard for a short while, touch bar will turn off to save battery life, and probably to prevent burn in. So in order to use it, I first have to touch any of my keys or touchpad. So it slows me down even more.

And as a developer, I loose F-keys completely, something I use more often then regular folks.

I have yet to see why something like touch bar is better then regular keys. If you like it - great for you. But I don't plan on purchasing any device with touchbar in the future, because it's a major gimmick in my use case scenario. If Apple wants to compete with touch screen laptops, well, build a touch screen laptop.

What I really care about is 4K display

Have you ever actually used a 4K laptop? I'm using one (X1E). There really is no need for 4K on any laptop. 2K is great, because it won't use battery as much, and you still don't see any pixels. My 4K screen isn't better then MBP screen, but uses more power for no gains at all.

Apple is right in sticking to 2K (well, almost 3K), and I will always give credit where credit is due.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
When have they ever released a "Mid" and a "Late" model of the same line in the same year? And why would they not wait for Intel's 10nm processors next year?

They have done it a few times in the past, the 2012 Macbook Pro was updated early and then they announced the Macbook Pro Retina at WWDC 2012. Then in 2013 there were "Early" and "late" models for that year. In fact going back to as early as 2009, they use to update the Macbook Pro twice a year.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-26 at 07.41.52.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-26 at 07.41.52.png
    249.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong

If apple would have done this instead of the touchbar... for productivity, this actually looks incredible. For typing, though...

Reactions: Queen6

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
What do you think guys

next release schedule:

October 2019 - All New Macbook (/Pro) with edge to edge display 16”
Feb-April 2020 - All New Macbook (/Pro) with edge to edge display 14”

(Similar schedule to first Macbook Pro's with Retina Display, 15” in 06/2012, 13” in 10/2012.

Slow discounting current's MBP sizes 13” and 15”.

Then offer will be nice as following... 12”, 14”, 16”.
Not as predictable as for iPhones, but I would cautiously suggest the following:

October event 2019 - 16" slots in above the 15" as a new high end model, starting at $3,299. Mac Pro, Pro display officially introduced after being teased at WWDC.

WWDC 2020 - 16" rolled out fully to replace the 15" entirely, 14" introduced to replace 13" touchbar, maybe the 13" nTB continues as the 13" pro as a cheaper quad core option, particularly if a price increase comes with the redesign (but goes back to starting at 256GB/$1,499 to give the Air more room to breathe).

October event 2020 - First ARM MacBook/Airs are introduced.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

If apple would have done this instead of the touchbar... for productivity, this actually looks incredible. For typing, though...

That looks like a terribly designed laptop.

Watching him trying to use that ugly monstrosity....

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Nvidia announced mobile Quadro GPUs in laptops. Wish Apple would offer the option for Nvidia GPUs in MBPs, especially since one of their biggest target markets is creative pros.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
My assumption is that if Apple ever moves to its own line of CPUs (and my guess is that those should be dedicated Mac CPUs and not re-used iPhone CPUs, with a much larger battery, and better power dissipation in mind) than they introduce it with the re-design and that could be 2020. Historically there have been longer than usual delays for re-designs than pure upgrades.

Reactions: cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I will make a wish, which will not be fulfilled.
I wish to see a mbp a little bit thicker. With more ports, more space for ventilation, better keyboard, more 'healthy' and not 'anorexic' and 'fragile'.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Nvidia announced mobile Quadro GPUs in laptops. Wish Apple would offer the option for Nvidia GPUs in MBPs, especially since one of their biggest target markets is creative pros.

I just watched the whole announcement of this.
The new RTX GPU’s are exactly what I want / need and yes targeted at creative pros like myself.

However, have a look at the laptops for the ‘creatives’. I don’t know a single person who would buy any of them. Hideous gaming designs or gimmicks everywhere. It would be an embarrassment to bring one of those to a client meeting.

I am not sure if these people get it or not, but all the creatives I know put ease of use and aesthetics pretty high up on the list, before specs. They wont be sucked in by these designs at all.

It was also interesting how the comparative computer was the Macbookpro against the RTX. Suffice to say the MBP got spanked.
Buying a new MacBookpro just became a bit harder for me........ just when I resolved to get one. I also have no doubt what so ever that the 2020 / October MBP will have a GPU anything like the RTX.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I will make a wish, which will not be fulfilled.
I wish to see a mbp a little bit thicker. With more ports, more space for ventilation, better keyboard, more 'healthy' and not 'anorexic' and 'fragile'.
I bet you the next redesign is thinner... :p

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
No, I'd be incredibly surprised to see a MBP this fall, we'll be seeing iOS devices, maybe the macPro. I don't think apple will roll out the MBP updates, to only hold back on one brand new model. Plus I'm of the opinion that there's too much overlap between the 15" and 16" I think the 16" will replace the 15".

I think it was done, to get it out of the way, so WWDC can focus on other tasks. I think their reputation isn't going to altered by releasing the 4th keyboard at the end of May vs. at WWDC.

They also did it sooner then later to keep up with the Joneses (so to speak). Apple's competitors are rolling out 9th gen models, and given the poor reputation of the 2018 model, performance, cooling, and issues that have plagued it since it was released they just want to bury that model and forget it imo.

Yeah I'd say 2020 redesign is inbound.. I wouldn't expect the 10nm Intel refresh this year either... Same for Navi GPUs....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.