Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Tip about Making friends???? That seems to be more difficult than making the actual line.

19callum93

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I have a preorder for the iPhone upgrade programme but my X won’t arrive at the store until 2nd December so plan on queuing to get hold of one on launch day. Means I’ve already preordered will this cause me any trouble when I try to upgrade instore on the 3rd? Do I need to cancel my preorder now or should I be fine? Thanks to anyone who replies ☺️

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
This is good advice. AT&T is a tenant of ours at an outdoor shopping center and while it hasn’t been an issue in the past, we definitely wouldn’t permit people to camp out overnight. The store manager still doesn’t even know if they’re getting any X’s. Hopefully he has to crush people’s hopes and not me.
yes, good advice. the ala moana store in honolulu won't allow you to stay there overnight. best bet there is to park outside the shopping mall, walk to the mall/store, and wait til security lets you into the main promenade by the apple store. around 5am, i think, is when they open the parking lot at the mall...not sure what time they will let people into the mall itself.

19callum93

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Let’s hope these tips are better than the ones suggesting the fastest online pre-order method is the Apple Store App. Cause for dang sure the only reason I have to wait in the freaking line at the store on Friday is because of the ridiculous app debacle by Apple.

Surely there is a problem at Apple when VERIZON WIRELESS CAN HANDLE PRE-ORDERS better than Apple can themselves.

Sheeeeesh.

The Apple Store App was a joke on preorder day. Had to resort to ordering online instead. The app glitched out and was very near to being able to reserve one for instore pick up on the 3rd... missed out due to the app glitching out

Reactions: MacFro_Bro

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Let’s hope these tips are better than the ones suggesting the fastest online pre-order method is the Apple Store App. Cause for dang sure the only reason I have to wait in the freaking line at the store on Friday is because of the ridiculous app debacle by Apple

Sheeeeesh.

I had opened the App Store App on both iPhone and iPad, as well as the Apple Store on my Mac.

I was able to order on the iPhone with delivery 11/3 after one minute. On the Mac, the page showed up 11 minutes later, when delivery was already 2/3 weeks. Fastest preorder method was definitely the App Store App... you’ve preordered it wrong ;)

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
Waiting in line in NYC would be an experience someday! I did Chicago for 3GS it was awesome.. good luck everyone I’ll be there in spirit...

Funny note I bet Task Rabbit is crushing it lol I looked for fun price per rabbit range from 16 an hour to 50 an hour lol

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
cool. :cool: It's a regular camping ground.

I dunno about people going to *any* Apple store though, unless your desperate.... You may have wasted gas. But perhaps getting the "X" over-sees that

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
This was – genuinely – a lot of good, straightforward advice. (I preordered. 11.3!)

It reminds me of back in ’97, when I slept overnight in Central Park to see Patrick Stewart in Shakespeare in the Park’s production of The Tempest. The best part of the overnight odyssey was getting to know the neighbors.

You really can make this a fun and memorable experience!
I saw that show when it moved to Broadway. It would have been worth a wait! Twenty years later, and it is still my favorite version of The Tempest. :)

I waited overnight for early versions of the iPhone. It was fun and yes, getting to know people in the line and talking about our phones and other tech made the time fly.

But I’m still glad I got a launch day X, so I don’t have to think about whether to camp out!

Chloros

Suspended
May 4, 2016
If you're in NYC and hoping to score an iPhone X, best place is SoHo Apple Store or Grand Central Terminal. 5th Avenue will suck, the others won't have the best stock. Good luck.
Not familiar with NYC but do the lines offer some kinda of protection from the streets? (Barriers) Assuming the stores are located on busy streets. Seems like a bad idea to have lots of people lined up over night after today's tragic event in NYC.

Jayb5635

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
If you're in NYC and hoping to score an iPhone X, best place is SoHo Apple Store or Grand Central Terminal. 5th Avenue will suck, the others won't have the best stock. Good luck.

I was thinking the Apple Store in the Upper West Side. So the Grand Central Store is a better bet ??? If so, what’s the process in terms of lining up there ??? I would arrive around 10pm Thursday night.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Not familiar with NYC but do the lines offer some kinda of protection from the streets? (Barriers) Assuming the stores are located on busy streets. Seems like a bad idea to have lots of people lined up over night after today's tragic event in NYC.
New Yorkers are hardy. As a former New Yorker, I feel confident in saying they won’t let today’s murderer keep them from doing what they want, which includes outdoor gatherings.

Chloros

Suspended
May 4, 2016
New Yorkers are hardy. As a former New Yorker, I feel confident in saying they won’t let today’s murderer keep them from doing what they want, which includes outdoor gatherings.
Totally believe that. I Know quite a few New Yorkers who are quite resilient. Just thinking that if Apple is telling people to wait in line and god forbid something happens.....does this fall on Apple? I'm sure i'm overthinking this but i don't remember Apple ever telling people to camp out in line in the past. People had always done this on their own.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I was thinking the Apple Store in the Upper West Side. So the Grand Central Store is a better bet ??? If so, what’s the process in terms of lining up there ??? I would arrive around 10pm Thursday night.
The terminal shuts down at 2:00 AM
[doublepost=1509492988][/doublepost]
There’s all that construction at 5th right now, you’d probably have to line up over on the stairs so it would be fine.

Reactions: kazmac and Ntombi

Jayb5635

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Ok I saw Grand Central terminal is from 530am-2am. Has anyone here ever lined up at this location ??? What would the process be ??? I would’ve been there at 10pm but that seems to not be an option.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I could never lower myself to this waiting in line for 12-24 hours+ nonsense. Happy to wait until 27th Nov-4th Dec for my iPhone X delivery.

Agreed. I waited in line for 3 hours when I was in high school with my older cousins to buy tickets for Star Wars: The Phantom Menace then waited in line for another 3 hours to get good seats for that first 12:01 AM viewing. Needless to say I’ve never waited in line for an entertainment event or to buy a product since then.

As a 42.5+ hour a week salary employee who gets no overtime (but a very nice Christmas bonus) I value my free time much more than I value being the first to have the latest gadget.

I cared a bit when I was a teenager and in my 20’s but still wouldn’t wait in line. When the original iPhone shipped I waited a few weeks and picked one up after work at the closest Apple store. I have a buddy who works at a local AT&T store who would always set one of them aside for me when I wanted to upgrade on launch day.

I’m not going to wait in line for hours to give Apple over a grand. I’m fine with getting the phone the first week of December if they sell out before I can get there when the doors open at 10 AM Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.